Top 5 Prospects

SoxFan1

Consider this a ghetto poll. This is for everyone: Who are the top 5 prospects in pitching and hitting in your opinion? (I know very little about the Minor Leagues so if my list is really dumb or bad, dont scold me!)

Hitting:

1) Joe Borchard

2) Jeremy Reed

3) Ricardo Nanita

4) Tim Hummell

5) Ross Gload

Pitching:

1) Neal Cotts

2) Jon Rauch

3) Arnie Munoz

4) Enemencio Pacheco

5) Kris Honel

Your lists aren't bad except that Ross Gload is really a non prospect. He has good numbers in AAA but I believe he is 29 years old.

Hitting:

1) Jeremy Reed

2) Joe Borchard

3) Ricardo Nanita

4) Brian Anderson

5) Tim Hummel

Pitching:

1) Kris Honel

2) Neal Cotts

3) Ryan Wing

4) Jon Rauch

5) Enemencio Pacheco

Our hitting at almost all levels of the minors is pretty weak. I put both Nanita and Anderson on my list based on their numbers and potential even though they are probably years away from being major leaguers if they ever do reach that level.

we are in trouble with pitching, I would put Ryan Maux in place of Rauch. I really don't think Rauch is anything great. He had his chance, and with injuries will never be the same. See Lorenzo Barcelo. For the same reasons I would put Diaz ahead of Rauch as well.

Your lists aren't bad except that Ross Gload is really a non prospect.  He has good numbers in AAA but I believe he is 29 years old.

Hitting:

1) Jeremy Reed

2) Joe Borchard

3) Ricardo Nanita

4) Brian Anderson

5) Tim Hummel

Pitching:

1) Kris Honel

2) Neal Cotts

3) Ryan Wing

4) Jon Rauch

5) Enemencio Pacheco

Our hitting at almost all levels of the minors is pretty weak.  I put both Nanita and Anderson on my list based on their numbers and potential even though they are probably years away from being major leaguers if they ever do reach that level.

Welcome aboard!

Hitting:

1. Jeremy Reed- Hitting .390 in AA sold me on him

2. Joe Borchard- Struggles this season have led me to think he isn't the hot prospect he once was

3. Ricardo Nanita- He's been so great this season, but I'd like to see him hit well at a higher level before I put him over Borchard

4. Brian Anderson- He didn't have much of a chance to prove himself, but he played well when healthy.

5. Tim Hummel/Aaron Miles- They have comprable numbers. Hummel has more production and walks, but more Ks. Sweeney could join this list when he gets to playing.

Pitching:

1. Neal Cotts-He's been awesome at AA and is clearly our best pitching prospect

2. Kris Honel- He is young and has a long way to go, but he pitched well this year with the Warthogs.

3. Ryan Wing- He is close to Honel and even pitched a bit better this year, but I'm still giving Honel the nod.

4. Enemencio Pacheco- I'm don't know much about him, but he has pitched well.

5. Tetsu Yofu- I don't know much about him either, but his numbers are impressive.

Yofu does have good numbers but he is a marginal prospect.  He is 30 years old so I would expect him to dominate more than he has if he is going to contribute at the big league level.  With that said he may get a September call up.

You'd rather have a battered Jon Rauch?

I think you guys will have Borchard up there three years from now, even if he is still hitting .240 in the minors. Is he a better hitter than either Hankins, Hummel, or Gload? I don't think so. Virtually the same age. Reed is a shoe in to be in Chicago soon.

The pitchers who will get a chance by the end of 2004 include Cotts, Adkins, Munoz, Pacheco. Everyone else is 2005 and beyond.

I think you guys will have Borchard up there three years from now, even if he is still hitting .240 in the minors.  Is he a better hitter than either Hankins, Hummel, or Gload?  I don't think so.  Virtually the same age.  Reed is a shoe in to be in Chicago soon.

The pitchers who will get a chance by the end of 2004 include Cotts, Adkins, Munoz, Pacheco.  Everyone else is 2005 and beyond.

Read title: Top 5 Prospects

Borchard still projects.

Yofu does have good numbers but he is a marginal prospect.  He is 30 years old so I would expect him to dominate more than he has if he is going to contribute at the big league level.  With that said he may get a September call up.

You are correct. Yofu's window of opportunity to make his mark in the Majors is this year and next. If he doesn't make it by then, then he likely never will.

He never impressed me with the Sox and with all the injuries I have a hard time believing he will come back.

He had a nasty curve working for him in a game against Minnesota last season that impressed the hell out of me.

But I agree. Rauch has been too inconsistent in his few call-ups and SP opportunites. Injuries will probably have done him in before long.

hitting

1. borchard i hope he pulls it out.

2. reed what more can be said.

3. schnurstein, i like this kid, i think he will be special

4. hummel again what is there?

5. and by default b/c he is tearing up the league. nanita

pitching.

1. honel

2. cotts

3. munoz

4. wing

5. diaz

Hitters

1. Reed. Hits for average with excellent command of strike zone. Plus he's a left-handed hitter. Need one of those

2. Hummel. Hitting much better during his second tour through the International League in part because he's no longer worrying about playing shortstop. But he could be a man without a position. It's second or third, but I don't see him bumping Crede or Alomar (if he re-signs) out of the lineup.

3. Borchard. But more than than the high strikeouts, I'm more alarmed by the drop in his batting average and stunning lack of power in a park that is one of the smallest in the International League. With more than $5 million invested in him, the sox will give him every chance.

4. Ricardo Nanita. Long way from The Show, but he's been the most impressive player from this draft class.

5. Micah Schnurstein. Not hitting the way he did last year at Arizona, but he's been coming on at Great Falls. Also several years away. But we're pretty bare for hitting prospects at full-season A ball.

Pitching

1. Neal Cotts. His hits to innings pitched are off the charts. Can strike people out. Improving as the season moves on. Still needs to improve the walks to make it in the big leagues, but he's a lefty who'll be around next year.

2. Enemencio Pacheco. Solid righty, who doesn't strike out as many guys as Cotts, but also doesn't walk as many. Will get a chance a long reliever next season.

3. Kris Honel. Still two years away. Probably the second or third best pitching prospect in the Carolina League. Averaging nearly three strikeouts per walk.

4. Jon Adkins. A whipping boy from the Ray Durham trade. But he's pitched pretty well for the last six weeks at Charlotte and he's much closer to being ready than others who are more highly touted.

5. Jon Rauch. Hard to believe he was voted the Number One prospect in baseball three years ago. Have a B to B-minus season at Charlotte. Not as dominating as you'd like him to be and he has problems staying healthy. But there is still potential worth waiting on because he has decent control and three pitches.

2. Enemencio Pacheco. Solid righty, who doesn't strike out as many guys as Cotts, but also doesn't walk as many. Will get a chance a long reliever next season.

4. Jon Adkins. A whipping boy from the Ray Durham trade. But he's pitched pretty well for the last six weeks at Charlotte and he's much closer to being ready than others who are more highly touted.

since this is our opinion, i will respect what you wrote, however.............. :huh:

I think you guys will have Borchard up there three years from now, even if he is still hitting .240 in the minors.  Is he a better hitter than either Hankins, Hummel, or Gload?  I don't think so.  Virtually the same age.  Reed is a shoe in to be in Chicago soon.

He's had one bad year. He hasn't had 3 bad years in a row yet, and as cerbaho said it's just prospects.

Top 5 Hitters:

1. Jeremy Reed

2. Brian Anderson

3. Joe Borchard

4. Ricardo Nanita

5. Tim Hummel

Sleeper- Micah Schnurstein

Top 5 Pitchers:

1. Kris Honel

2. Neal Cotts

3. Ryan Wing

4. Enemencio Pacheco(I can't believe we got him for Sandy Alomar last year)

5. Jon Rauch/Adkins

Sleeper- Brandon McCarthy

hitters:

1.Reed

2.Borchard

3.Anderson

4.Sweeney

5.Nanita

pitchers:

1.Honel

2.Cotts

3.Rauch

4.Wing

5.Pacheco

Don't give up on Rauch it usually takes pitchers a couple years to get back to full strength coming off of shoulder surgery, I haven't seen him pitch, but from what I've heard he's had good control this year just his fastball is a couple miles per hour slower then it was 2 years ago, lets wait until next year to jump to conclusions on Rauch.

Hitters

1. Reed

2. Borch

3. Anderson

4. Sweeney

5. Bikowski

Pitchers

1. Cottsy

2. Honel

3. Pacheco

4. Winger

5. Me ( HA, just kidding) Seriously it could be any number of guys : Rauch, Adkins, Munoz, An, Diaz, or one of those young kids in Rookie ball I havent met