Aramis Ramirez

oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
Geez, I just read that if Scrubs opt in and Ramirez opts out, then the Scrubs get two high draft picks when he signs elsewhere. This would be right up Kenny's alley. Please, KW, don't do it.

Sox are not signing AR or anyone else this off season for the money he will demand.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
Geez, I just read that if Scrubs opt in and Ramirez opts out, then the Scrubs get two high draft picks when he signs elsewhere. This would be right up Kenny's alley. Please, KW, don't do it.

Do you really think Jerry is going to give Kenny a blank check this time around? KW's going to have to get back to raiding other organizations for failed/underachieving guys, major and minors, as it will be a while before the club signs another big-name FA.

The Sox wont go after any big name free agents this year. They need to unload contracts rather than add. We need to remember we are stuck with Dunn, Rios and Peavy next year. (Thats $30 million of dead weight)

I expect Quentin to be dealt along with one of Danks or Floyd (probably Danks) for a package of nice young players. I also expect Buerhle to be re-signed to a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable rate.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
The Sox wont go after any big name free agents this year. They need to unload contracts rather than add. We need to remember we are stuck with Dunn, Rios and Peavy next year. (Thats $30 million of dead weight)

I expect Quentin to be dealt along with one of Danks or Floyd (probably Danks) for a package of nice young players. I also expect Buerhle to be re-signed to a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable rate.

I agree with your conclusions, but I am not yet set on the idea that all three of Peavy, Dunn and Rios will be dead weight. In fact in Peavy's case, I suspect he gets back to being a solid starter, though probably not his Cy-like former self. Dunn and Rios I am not sure on, but I'd highly doubt they both are this bad again.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)

Out of those 3...I still think there's an outside chance Rios could be dealt (of course eating some salary). You have to hope Peavy comes out strong and could be potential trade-deadline bait. Dunn...you just have to pray for one of two things. 1. He works hard this offseason and regains a modicum of form. or 2. He picks up where he left off and is so distraught he says eff it.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Would someone mind terribly giving this thread some context

Cubs have a mutual option with Aramis Ramirez for 2012, that would pay $16M if they both take it. Ramirez seems to be hinting he is going to hit the market, and not take the option. If he doesn't but Cubs do, they are entitled some sort of draft pick compensation from any team that signs him, if they don't re-sign him themselves (which they can do, I believe). Some fans would prefer Ramirez to Morel, thus, the discussion.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
I agree with your conclusions, but I am not yet set on the idea that all three of Peavy, Dunn and Rios will be dead weight. In fact in Peavy's case, I suspect he gets back to being a solid starter, though probably not his Cy-like former self. Dunn and Rios I am not sure on, but I'd highly doubt they both are this bad again.

Actually, I think it's the opposite. I expect Dunn and Rios to perform closer to their potential next season, contingent that it's under new management for Rios. I don't expect them to be exactly what they once were, but more "acceptable" than good. I fully expect Peavy to be a waste of space yet again.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Actually, I think it's the opposite. I expect Dunn and Rios to perform closer to their potential next season, contingent that it's under new management for Rios. I don't expect them to be exactly what they once were, but more "acceptable" than good. I fully expect Peavy to be a waste of space yet again.

Interesting. I guess on my mind, what Peavy went through was entirely expected, and what Dunn went through was not. Peavy was going to have an on and off year while recovering, this is a repeated pattern with pitchers after major surgery. They miss a year, then first year back they are not good, then 2nd year they get back closer to form. Dunn, really, no one has any idea what is going on with him or why, and so I have stronger doubts about him. Rios, it is all about effort level and attitude, and I don't know how readily that can change.

Either way, I guess we agree that it isn't likely that all three will be this bad again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Do you really think Jerry is going to give Kenny a blank check this time around? KW's going to have to get back to raiding other organizations for failed/underachieving guys, major and minors, as it will be a while before the club signs another big-name FA.

Blank check? No I think too many checks bounced in 2011

Interesting. I guess on my mind, what Peavy went through was entirely expected, and what Dunn went through was not. Peavy was going to have an on and off year while recovering, this is a repeated pattern with pitchers after major surgery. They miss a year, then first year back they are not good, then 2nd year they get back closer to form. Dunn, really, no one has any idea what is going on with him or why, and so I have stronger doubts about him. Rios, it is all about effort level and attitude, and I don't know how readily that can change.

Either way, I guess we agree that it isn't likely that all three will be this bad again.

You are correct in assessment of Jake. I also feel that he will be a solid #2/3 next year. Rios IMO is washed up and won't do squat

Dunn, I still think he isn't 100% for his May surgery.. Time off, working out more in the offseason.. He comes back old Dunn.. Everyone thinks its cause of Ozzie being gone.

As for the topic, No thank you..

If Albert stays in STL as everyone seems to think will happen.. 'Ramirez would be the #2 top hitter to go after My bet.. He ends up with LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Angels. They been throwing money down the drain the last several years.. he seems like a perfect fit for them.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)

If Albert stays in STL as everyone seems to think will happen.. 'Ramirez would be the #2 top hitter to go after My bet.. He ends up with LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Angels. They been throwing money down the drain the last several years.. he seems like a perfect fit for them.

You're 100% correct...he's a perfect fit for LAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)

I think the lack of effort on Rios' part will be change at least a little with a new manager. On your other points, I find it hard to disagree. You make good points, but I just see them working out the way I said :lol:

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)

We agree, at last.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)

With Rios it's hard to define "they once were". Even if those guys have good season maybe this team is still not good enough. Starting pitching is starting to look suspect.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
From what I've read Ramirez doesn't light up the league at the start of the season. We would have fit in with the 2011 Sox.

I'm probably the only person in the world that thinks Rios has a good year in '12. He still displays some encouraging signs. He isn't having trouble making contact, he just hasn't consistently driven the ball. He's probably only a tweek or two away from having an impact. Dunn, on the other hand, is more worrisome. He's swinging and missing by a foot in nearly every AB. He's just all kinds of f***ed up and I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Peavy's lost velocity is a big concern to me as well. He can effective as he learns to pitch, but I don't expect him to morph into Maddux. He'll be solid, but his days of dominance are probably over.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
With Rios it's hard to define "they once were". Even if those guys have good season maybe this team is still not good enough. Starting pitching is starting to look suspect.
You know how fairly often people will discount performances based on it being September? This team stopped caring 3 weeks ago and made it clear. The starting pitching right now is just trying to finish up. Stewart is probably trying to learn, Humber is trying to get a workout, the others are trying to stay healthy. None of them are trying to win games.