Matt Kemp Triple Crown Watch

flavum

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Holy s***. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more pub. I didn't realize how close he was to leading all three categories.

No s***. I had no idea either.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
I would imagine that a 4-point jump in average is really, really difficult at this point in the season, especially when it's already that high. Probably near impossible.

6 games left, say 24 ABs. If he went 10/24, he would be exactly at .330.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
I would imagine that a 4-point jump in average is really, really difficult at this point in the season, especially when it's already that high. Probably near impossible.

In 1941, Ted Williams raised his average 6 points on the last day of the season.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
LOL, so you're the "team award MVP" guy

My stance on the MVP is if a player is far and away the best offensive player, I would vote for him for MVP no matter what the team did.

In the case of Braun, he not only is a money player for a playoff team, he's not far off enough from Kemp to keep him from being the MVP....regardless if Kemp finishes first in all of those three categories.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
My stance on the MVP is if a player is far and away the best offensive player, I would vote for him for MVP no matter what the team did.

In the case of Braun, he not only is a money player for a playoff team, he's not far off enough from Kemp to keep him from being the MVP....regardless if Kemp finishes first in all of those three categories.

It hasn't been done in 44 years. If he does it, he gets the MVP.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Just a comparison--

xbh-

Braun 73

Kemp 72

RBIs-

Braun 107

Kemp 119

Runs-

Braun 105

Kemp 110

OPS-

Braun .979

Kemp .987

I just don't think Braun is far enough off from Kemp to keep him from the MVP, playing in more stressful games for a playoff team.

So, all of his stats besides one extra base hit show that Kemp has been the superior player, who is on the cusp of accomplishing something that hasn't been done in most of our lifetimes. But Braun's team is in the playoffs and that's it. Braun wins?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
So, all of his stats besides one extra base hit show that Kemp has been the superior player, who is on the cusp of accomplishing something that hasn't been done in most of our lifetimes. But Braun's team is in the playoffs and that's it. Braun wins?

Um, yeah. Didn't I make that clear?

Again, I wouldn't complain if Kemp won. But I think Braun deserves it based on being very cose to Kemp while playing for a playoff team.