Don't mess with the teacher

Texsox

So we had a parent come in to discuss her child's behavior. Of course this kid basically blamed everyone else and denied everything. We get back to class and I called out the kid and his best friend who he kept throwing under the bus. I looked at the other kid and explained that "Don's" mom was here to discuss his behavior and it seems we had the wrong kid. He's been behaving but *you* keep getting him in trouble. *You* keep talking when he's trying to do his work. *You* stop him in the halls and make him tardy. So we're going to be bringing in your dad to discuss this. The kid starts telling his friend how he was lying to get out of trouble. I let them both back into class. The first kid was pissed at me. He sat there all pissed off the rest of class. His friend kept looking at him all pissed off. LOL I love kids.

Personal accountability/responsibility don't exist.

Better to lie in front of your peers than "lose face."

In China, we don't have the behavior issues like in the US, but plagiarism doesn't exist as an academic concept that's acknowledged or respected. On the other hand, Asian students are much more appreciative and thankful.

A few times a year we have an additional morning duty, mine this week was supervising the 6th grade waiting area. The main rule is they have to be sitting down. One kid kept standing up as soon as I turned my back. I went over to him and said, hey, I'm going to be reasonable and offer you a deal. There is ten minutes left until the bell rings if I let you stand five minutes, will you sit five minutes? He was suspicious because the day before I allowed one of the other 6th graders to stand, in the 8th grade area, on stage. He said he would only if I let him pick the location, I said fine, but he had to let me pick when he sat and when he stood. He agreed. I said, cool, you can stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

As he is doing squats and his buddies are giggling he tells me I'm going to get tired before he will. Ok, we'll see

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

now sit

now stand

:lolhitting

Well, there's a lot of sound research and empirical data that suggest that forcing kids to sit all day long at a desk is counter-productive.

Of course, if you let them move around somewhat more freely...then the classroom management police will be offended.

Still, in many countries around the world, they do morning exercises in class and basically force the kids to move around.

They arrive up to an hour early. This is before school in the hallways. If we allow them to stand, they start to run, push, shove other students. The best control for the time between the buses drop them off and the start of the school day is segregate by grade level. The 6th grade gets the large hallway by our gym. The 7th and 8th grades rotate between sitting in the cafeteria and the parallel hallway by our library and office.