Dunn, Rios, and Peavy

VAfan

Dunn, Rios, and Peavy. These are three of the highest paid players on the Sox, and three of the least productive.

Is there any chance the Sox can unload any of them this offseason? Wouldn't the Sox be better off without all 3 of them, even if they had to eat a chunk of each of their contracts?

Or is the only option to try to get all of them to perform better in 2012? Perhaps with a new manager and new batting coach, and maybe a new pitching coach.

Peavy has one year left on his deal so I wouldn't worry about him. With another offseason he is likely to improve as he continues to heal. He could also have a set back. That's a risk worth taking, I believe.

Rios and dunn are virtually untradeable and the smart move, if you have a manager who can manage a team that has two players who are awful, is to hang on to them. Give them a short leash and if they are awful well into may, play someone else. Then if you need to, you do what the giants did and release them. Then you fire kenny if you miss the playoffs. I'm not completely against firing kenny now mind you.

Edited by MAX

I still think Rios is the most tradable...granted you'll eat a decent portion of the contract. Addition by subtraction. Like I said in some other thread...the only thing you can pray for is Dunn busts his ass in the offseason and comes back strong...if he does there's an outside chance you could move him at the deadline IMO.

My own view is that Peavy is the one who might be tradeable, precisely because he does have only one year left on his deal. I think it will be very hard to trade Rios or Dunn, though I do like the idea of Dunn getting hot early and being moved at the trade deadline. At that point he will have had only one wretched season under his belt, and it will have been in the AL, so an NL team might think he'll revert to his NL norm.

But isn't this the biggest downer for us Sox fans? How can we hope to compete next year unless these players earn their contracts, and how can we possibly hope for that? At least guys like Gordon Beckham, another underperformer, don't cost much.

Ramirez WAR 4.4

Konerko WAR 3.2

Quentin WAR 2.6

De Aza WAR 2.2

Pierzynski WAR 1.7

Beckham WAR 1.1

Morel WAR 1.0

Flowers WAR 0.4

Viciedo WAR 0.3

Pierre WAR 0.3

Rios WAR -1.2

Dunn WAR -2.7

This is pretty pitiful. Jettisoning Pierra for De Aza has to help some. It might be better to DH Quentin to try to keep him healthy, with Viciedo in RF. But then where do you get lefty power? And can this team hit HRs? It's awful.

Dunn's WAR was 3.5 in 2010 for Washington. And Rios posted a WAR of 3.7 for us in 2010. But can either one bounce back and put up those kind of numbers? Do we want to bet next season on it?

BTW -- firing KW at this point doesn't fix the problem. I'd actually say letting Ozzie go has a much better chance of making a difference.

My own view is that Peavy is the one who might be tradeable, precisely because he does have only one year left on his deal. I think it will be very hard to trade Rios or Dunn, though I do like the idea of Dunn getting hot early and being moved at the trade deadline. At that point he will have had only one wretched season under his belt, and it will have been in the AL, so an NL team might think he'll revert to his NL norm.

But isn't this the biggest downer for us Sox fans? How can we hope to compete next year unless these players earn their contracts, and how can we possibly hope for that? At least guys like Gordon Beckham, another underperformer, don't cost much.

Ramirez WAR 4.4

Konerko WAR 3.2

Quentin WAR 2.6

De Aza WAR 2.2

Pierzynski WAR 1.7

Beckham WAR 1.1

Morel WAR 1.0

Flowers WAR 0.4

Viciedo WAR 0.3

Pierre WAR 0.3

Rios WAR -1.2

Dunn WAR -2.7

This is pretty pitiful. Jettisoning Pierra for De Aza has to help some. It might be better to DH Quentin to try to keep him healthy, with Viciedo in RF. But then where do you get lefty power? And can this team hit HRs? It's awful.

Dunn's WAR was 3.5 in 2010 for Washington. And Rios posted a WAR of 3.7 for us in 2010. But can either one bounce back and put up those kind of numbers? Do we want to bet next season on it?

BTW -- firing KW at this point doesn't fix the problem. I'd actually say letting Ozzie go has a much better chance of making a difference.

huh? Firing KW, fixes allot of problems... if they hire his replacement correctly.

BTW, KW created this team.. But, you don't want to fire him... Why?

If Dunn and Rios to return to their expected forms, the team won't play in 2012. Peavy is important as well, but it's unlikely he's ever going to be the ace he was in SD and he'd probably be no better than #3 or #4 in the rotation.

The White Sox payroll is going to be less as well, and I wouldn't expect any veteran acquistions so next season is all veteran players carrying the load as they transition some to whatever young talent is coming in/already here (assuming either Danks or Floyd is traded, along with Quentin, with Burehle replaced in the rotation by Sale, and a guys like Stewart/Humber getting shots in the rotation as well, having Viceido up for a full season along with Morel and De Aza)....

Looking at another hindsight, maybe this team doesn't win the division if those 3 lived up to their norm. Only Dunn's stats seem to be more consistent. Jake and Rios would need career years this season.

If Rios has a 2010 season.. and Dunn has a Dunn season.. That's fine

Peavy was never going to have a great season.. I took his injury like a TJ injury type recovery.

Dunn and Peavy have reasonable chances of being a lot better next year, and you're stuck with Peavy for only one more year anyway, so I don't see them being moved. Also, if you keep Quentin, you can move him to DH if Dunn doesn't recover.

I'm not as optimistic on Rios and I'd eat up to half his contract, maybe even 3/4, to get him out the door and free up a roster spot. The Sox already have 4 outfielders that have had success in some form this year in Quentin, Viciedo, deAza, and Lillibridge. The money saved from Rios pays for Quentin's arbitration raise.