"We have spent, over the last decade, a lot of time in first plac

Marty34

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
It's not just a season because you know the current season has not been good. The measuring stick is "time in first place" over a DECADE. I love this bunch.

It's incredible he felt the urge to speak those words on the record. So insulting to the fans.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
On whether a change in leadership is needed:

Please fire his sorry ass now!! So what we spend time in first so f***ing what? We won what? Kenny's baseball I.Q is 0 I wish another moron called sl davis would offer him a job with the raiders

Only the posters here would have predicted the kind of seasons that Dunn, Rios, and Peavy had. What Kenny has done every year, with the players available, is build a team capable of winning the division. I am amazed how many people think they could have predicted the collapse of three key players.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
Only the posters here would have predicted the kind of seasons that Dunn, Rios, and Peavy had. What Kenny has done every year, with the players available, is build a team capable of winning the division. I am amazed how many people think they could have predicted the collapse of three key players.

Peavy and Rios were big gambles. As unlucky as Williams was with Dunn, nobody expected Konerko to have the year he had either.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)

NO one did.

I remember in the late 80s Michael McCaskey had a gem about his goal was to have the Bears always be good enough, maybe not good enough to win it all, just good enough to keep it interesting. It appears, and it shocks me, KW is turning into Michael McCaskey without the Harvard education, and please no one mention KW's Stanford "education". He spent one semester there on a football scholarship. Calling him Stanford educated or a Stanford grad is worse than calling Allen Iverson a Georgetown grad. If the Sox lose another game this season, they will finish 3 of the last 5 seasons under .500, but they spent some time in first place so I guess everything is OK.

Edited by Dick Allen

It really wasn't very hard. They were huge gambles all 3 of them.

Peavy - huge long term contract. Bad gamble for a pitcher to begin with. Coming from most pitcher friendly park in all of baseball and NL to AL. This after just witnessing how much less effective Linebrink was in exactly the same circumstances. Most importantly of all, Peavy was INJURED at the time of the trade! Lastly, KW was so stupid that he continued to offer the same package after Peavy was injured as he did before it and at the time the deal went down San Diego was even in more dire straits financially then before and desperate to unload his contract. But, with Jake being injured no other GM was dumb enough to even take on the contract beside throw in 4 pitching prospects to boot.

Adam Dunn- bad baseball player. Have you read everything he's said about what he's going to do after this season? He doesn't say I'm gonna bust my ass, I'm gonna train harder, get in shape, I'm gonna try this try that talk to this guy etc.... Nope. All you hear from Dunn is I'm gonna clear my head and start over. Always been a lazy guy that doesn't love the game. He will be little better next year. The Sox better find some way to get him back to a NL team this winter for something useful or this will be the worst 4 years you can imagine. Even at his best he could do very little to help a team win a game. Some guys are NL players - look at D. Lee. He sucked for Balt. but as soon as he gets to Pitt. he starts raking again.

Rios- this is the one that I am willing to consider giving KW a pass on. The contract really was ridiculous and a huge gamble for that reason. However, at least it didn't cost any draft picks, prospects or talent. And, at least Rios is a real ballplayer - 5 tool. He runs the bases well, can steal, can play all 3 OF positions well, hits for average and power. His problems are mental and in attitude. He can still be a good player and in ALL FAIRNESS was the best player on the team in 2010.

However, we are only scratching the surface here of KW's many dumbass deals of the past 4 years - both Swisher deals and a real killer for along time will be David Holmberg and Dan Hudson for Jackson ! How dumb can you be? Juan Pierre ? The list goes on and on.....

KW is only good at one thing ( and that's how he built the 2005 team) and that is finidng bargains. Dye, Iguchi, AJ, Pods, El Duque and Contreras. Later, Andru Jones, Humber etc.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
It really wasn't very hard. They were huge gambles all 3 of them.

Peavy - huge long term contract. Bad gamble for a pitcher to begin with. Coming from most pitcher friendly park in all of baseball and NL to AL. This after just witnessing how much less effective Linebrink was in exactly the same circumstances. Most importantly of all, Peavy was INJURED at the time of the trade! Lastly, KW was so stupid that he continued to offer the same package after Peavy was injured as he did before it and at the time the deal went down San Diego was even in more dire straits financially then before and desperate to unload his contract. But, with Jake being injured no other GM was dumb enough to even take on the contract beside throw in 4 pitching prospects to boot.

Adam Dunn- bad baseball player. Have you read everything he's said about what he's going to do after this season? He doesn't say I'm gonna bust my ass, I'm gonna train harder, get in shape, I'm gonna try this try that talk to this guy etc.... Nope. All you hear from Dunn is I'm gonna clear my head and start over. Always been a lazy guy that doesn't love the game. He will be little better next year. The Sox better find some way to get him back to a NL team this winter for something useful or this will be the worst 4 years you can imagine. Even at his best he could do very little to help a team win a game. Some guys are NL players - look at D. Lee. He sucked for Balt. but as soon as he gets to Pitt. he starts raking again.

Rios- this is the one that I am willing to consider giving KW a pass on. The contract really was ridiculous and a huge gamble for that reason. However, at least it didn't cost any draft picks, prospects or talent. And, at least Rios is a real ballplayer - 5 tool. He runs the bases well, can steal, can play all 3 OF positions well, hits for average and power. His problems are mental and in attitude. He can still be a good player and in ALL FAIRNESS was the best player on the team in 2010.

However, we are only scratching the surface here of KW's many dumbass deals of the past 4 years - both Swisher deals and a real killer for along time will be David Holmberg and Dan Hudson for Jackson ! How dumb can you be? Juan Pierre ? The list goes on and on.....

KW is only good at one thing ( and that's how he built the 2005 team) and that is finidng bargains. Dye, Iguchi, AJ, Pods, El Duque and Contreras. Later, Andru Jones, Humber etc.

Adam Dunn was a huge gamble? No, sorry. Yes, he fell off hard and it backfired, but no one, not even you, could have predicted his collapse. Peavy, when he was traded for had a minor injury. He tried to push the envelope and come back in time for three meaningless starts to prove himself to his new team. His team let him. Even with that said, he was by far the best pitcher available that any team wanted. And beginning this year, nobody was depending on Peavy. Everyone pretty much agreed that whatever you got from him was gravy. Rios, a guy I've always hated just had a good year in 2010. Nobody was counting on him being a bucket of suck either. Just to keep up his normal play. He couldn't do that.

Rios and Dunn were depended on and both failed miserably. I'll always give Kenny flack for Rios, but not for Peavy.

Williams made multiple mistakes regarding Peavy. First dealing for a pitcher who was injured. The bigger mistake was thinking they could win if Peavy was something less than the 1 starter he was acquired to be and thus going "all in". There was absolutely no reason to believe that if he came back as a 3-4 starter that this team had the type of rotation to win a championship.

Williams made multiple mistakes regarding Peavy. First dealing for a pitcher who was injured. The bigger mistake was thinking they could win if Peavy was something less than the 1 starter he was acquired to be and thus going "all in". There was absolutely no reason to believe that if he came back as a 3-4 starter that this team had the type of rotation to win a championship.

For me pitching.. Danks was the key, he needed to take the next step. And it never happened. 8-12 record, isn't taking it. Now granted not all those losses were his fault, but still 12 losses, isn't a good sign. His ERA is almost 1 run higher... Not at all good.

Jackson also didn't really do anything after the Sox home opener..

Peavy I didn't think he be close to being Jake all year.. after what had happened.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
I'm fairly sure his point was that the teams he's put together were good e

nough to be in first place. It's up to the manager to continue to milk the talent to keep them there.

i

That may have been what he was trying to say.....but in reality, he has consistently built teams with second, third, or fouth talent only to have Ozzie make them overachieve.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
NO one did.

Yes they did, just ask them ;)

And they are way better at predicting the team's finish. All those so called experts who picked the team to win the division don't know anything about baseball. people here knew Dunn would have this kind of season. They knew Rios would suck and Peavy would be injured and take longer to heal. Kenny should have gotten Pujols in a trade for three can't miss prospects while continuing to build the minor league system.

The thing that bothers me most about KW's quote is that it sounds like he doesn't plan on getting rid of Ozzie. I'm more of a KW apologist than others, but with that mentality he needs to go, too. Both guys have not done great jobs, and if only one were to go I would say Ozzie. But with silly ass quotes like this, KW needs to go, too.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
The thing that bothers me most about KW's quote is that it sounds like he doesn't plan on getting rid of Ozzie. I'm more of a KW apologist than others, but with that mentality he needs to go, too. Both guys have not done great jobs, and if only one were to go I would say Ozzie. But with silly ass quotes like this, KW needs to go, too.

Hiring Oz wasn't up to him and firing Oz is not up to him. I think most everyone here would agree that KW would have fired Oz in 2008 or 2009 if it was his call. Certainly Oz would be gone by now. Basically I believe Ozzie is playing chicken to see which one of them will be fired first. Ozzie for misplaying these guys or KW for signing them. Oz reminds me of a spoiled baby fighting for Dad's attention and love.

For KW to read those quotes and look back on this stretch in terms of his brash talk after 2005....his taunting of DET for the Cabrera deal only putting them in better position to contend with us, dynasties, taking the city back and winning multiples championships, having a whole new generation of White Sox fans, etc.

FAIL, FAIL, FAIL, FAIL, EPIC FAIL

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
Peavy and Rios were big gambles. As unlucky as Williams was with Dunn, nobody expected Konerko to have the year he had either.
Dunn showed signs in the second half of 2010 that he was on the decline. Of course no one could have predicted how bad he would be the following year, although .210-.220 with declining power numbers sure looked possible.