Ozzie Guillen Released from Contract

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
Sorry, this has already been posted probably....just found out about it here in China....who were the two minor leaguers we acquired? that will be announced at the end of the season?

At the time of the talks with Florida, the Marlins didn’t feel like they needed to give up talent for Guillen, especially with a new ballpark under construction that wasn’t opening until 2012. Things have changed, obviously. Guillen and Williams have stayed politically correct in addressing the media about each other the last few weeks, but more for Reinsdorf’s sake than the truth.

According to a source, Reinsdorf has told Williams to stay low-key in the media and avoid members of the staff.

“It’s probably better for Kenny’s health that he does that,” the source said.

Guillen made it seem like the split had to do with money and security of getting a contract extension beyond 2012, insisting, “F--- more years. I want more money. I don’t work here for years. No, I want more money. Years, what, I’m going to die poor with the White Sox? Hell, no. Listen, this is my job. It’s the only thing I can do. I have to make money out of somewhere. I’m not a doctor or a lawyer, where you’ll have a job for the rest of your life.

“Life is about money. People don’t believe that. People are happy after they make money, f--- it.”

While the extension Guillen sought did play a part, what was on the surface of all of this was ego. More specifically, Guillen has one and Williams grew jealous of it.

This split was more about Guillen and Williams wanting Reinsdorf — whom they each consider a father figure — to pick a favorite.

The Sun-Times learned two weeks ago that Reinsdorf did, telling Williams he would be back for next season. It was last June that Reinsdorf was adamant in saying that, “you can’t make a general manager have a manager he doesn’t want.”

The writing was on the wall.

As far as what’s next for the Sox. Forget Tony La Russa, as one source already said he wasn’t interested in managing with Williams as GM. That leaves the likes of a Buddy Bell, Class AAA Charlotte manager Joe McEwing or former Sox catcher Sandy Alomar Jr.

As for Guillen, he told his players before the game that it would be his last night, and was expected to fly to Miami early in the morning.

That didn’t mean he wasn’t leaving without some classic Guillenisms.

“Eight years in the big leagues, doing a pretty good job, I think,’’ Guillen said. “Better than bad. It is what it is. I might sound arrogant, I might sound cocky, I might sound like, ‘Who the freak do you think you are?’ People think whatever they want to think about me and that particular thing. But there’s one thing about it, out of anybody out there, nobody is going to put money in the bank to take care of my kids or my grandkids the rest of my life. As soon as you’re out of here, people forget about who you are.’’

suntimes.com/sports

Poor Joe. Does anyone know if the Miami Herald needs a hack?

Damn, I was bed-ridden all day yesterday. Had no idea this joyous occasion had occurred. Only thing that sucks is the bum wasn't fired. That makes me question whether legitimate change is about to commence or was this simply a case of an uneducated buffoon letting Jerry and Co. off the hook. Anyway, the loser is gone and it's time for a celebratory shot or six.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:04 AM)
Are they really becoming the Miami Marlins?

Yes. It was part of the deal for their new stadium.

Interestingly enough, I have proposed some "Radical" MLB realignments that include contracting Oakland and Tampa or KC. As part of it, the Marlins move to the AL South division and the Cubs stay in the NL Central. So, if MLB listened to me, it could be possible :)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
I would LOVE a KW puppet. Know why? because teams are built to play the way they're built to play - ozzie trying to play smallball with a power hitting team has always been retarded. retarded. A GM has to have power over his manager and personnel. End of story. This whole "manager is the face of the franchise" bulls*** is over, and good riddance.

Yeah, it has been rough with Kenny stuck with a guy who refuses to manage the type of team that he wants to put on to the field.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
JR made a horrible move... I willing to accept it, I'm also willing to accept this organization failing for at least next 5 years..

Reality is, Ozzie is blamed for Kenny's mistakes.. I don't need to deflect from it.

07-minister.jpg

Kenny Williams is not in Baghdad! Ozzie Guillen has won this war!

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
I hope to God that tomorrow is the last day for Mark and Jaime Buehrle too.

I don't even know what to say here. There have only been a couple of guys in my history of being a Sox fan that I was genuinely sad to see go. Mark will be the next one.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
More from Konerko:

This situation has run its course.

Said he was relleved and he expected Ozzie, Jerry and Kenny were too.

Players are human beings. Only so much they can take.

That is pretty telling right there. Paulie is the king of no comment and the none comment. For him to say something like this is huge.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
Strong comments from Hawk against Ozzie.

Basically said Ozzie changed the last few years and that the players didn't like it when Ozzie asked for the new contract after they won five straight games.

said the team was starting to pressure the Tigers and that wasn't the time for Ozzie to pop off.

that was the breaking point. I really think until then, he probably would have been back, even if it meant Kenny was gone. Dude just couldn't keep quiet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
I hope they give Ozzie a statue in the Cell.

If we had a monument's area he'd be included, but we don't have a monument's area.

Lest any of you blast me ... he's a former player who played ss a LONG time on the South Side and he's our WS winning manager.

Why the f*** wouldn't he be recognized??

Also ...

I'd wait and see who else gets fired before we hire somebody.

If Francona gets fired, which he won't, he'd be a no brainer as Oz replacement.

Shouldn't we see if Gardy is shown the door by the Twins?

On a side note, is there any talk the Cubs might want Ozzie?

He'll have one eventually, as well he should.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
Damn, I was bed-ridden all day yesterday. Had no idea this joyous occasion had occurred. Only thing that sucks is the bum wasn't fired. That makes me question whether legitimate change is about to commence or was this simply a case of an uneducated buffoon letting Jerry and Co. off the hook. Anyway, the loser is gone and it's time for a celebratory shot or six.

I was wondering why you weren't flipping cars over in celebration.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
Lol@Ozzie deserving a statue. Is there a Phil Jackson statue at the UC? Is there a Mike Ditka statue at SF? GMAB.

I agree with you on this one. That would be ludicrous. Why not have a statue of Pants Roland while we're at it.