Ozzie Guillen Released from Contract

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
You really think that's how it went down? The team didn't want him so he left for the big bucks where he gets a new start and he'll be loved.

Ozzie did say the one thing he's always been is honest. A minute later, he said there was no truth to him going to the Marlins anytime soon.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
They're in a worse situation, IMO, than the Blue Jays. The Braves have a great roster and will probably bring in some studs by trading someone like Jurrjens.

The Braves have a ton of talent...but young talent only gets you so far. If you don't believe me, go take a look at Jayson Heyward's Becktackular numbers this year.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
LOL. I love how everyone is overlooking how incredible the competition will be for Florida for the next few years. The Marlins will be lucky to be a 3rd place team during Ozzie's tenure.

Pfft. They will all be lucky to finish third to the mighty marlins.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm going to give the Nats at least another year or two before I start thinking of them as anything. Stras will be on an innings limit next year, Harper will probably break in next year but it's going to take him a while to get to dominance, and Jayson Werth's contract makes Adam Dunn's look good.

Thing is, Marlins could very well go after someone like Reyes. I hope Marlins do go after some big name free agents, as the White Sox won't be pursuing those guys so I'd rather have the best players stay in the NL (as long as they don't sign with the Cubs).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
The Braves have a ton of talent...but young talent only gets you so far. If you don't believe me, go take a look at Jayson Heyward's Becktackular numbers this year.

It's not just young talent though...they have really good players up and down their roster. McCann is a stud and Freeman looks fantastic. They do have to hope that Hanson's shoulder hasn't fallen off.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
LOL. I love how everyone is overlooking how incredible the competition will be for Florida for the next few years. The Marlins will be lucky to be a 3rd place team during Ozzie's tenure.

I hadn't even thought about that. The Phillies are bascially BOS/NYY. The Braves have young pitching talent up the wazoo. The Nationals have Harper, Strasburg, & co. And the Mets are still in NY, so once they clean up the mess, they obviously can spend the $$$$.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
You really think that's how it went down? The team didn't want him so he left for the big bucks where he gets a new start and he'll be loved.

Your last sentence doesn't deserve a response. I consider it baiting me into a fight. I won't bite.

With the rings, I can’t do [anything] with that,’’ he said. “But with money, I can go buy me a new boat, I can go buy me a new car, I can dress my wife the way I want to dress her, I can go to Spain. With the ring, I can go to United Airlines and say, ‘Hello, I won the 2005 championship. Can you fly me to Spain?’ Hell, no.

“Money is everything besides health. Money is next to that. A lot of people say, ‘Oh, love.’ They don’t know what love means. I guarantee you, if you raise a girl where I grew up and you’ve got no money and she loves you, but you put the same girl with a guy who’s got a lot of money, I’ll bet she’ll love the guy with money. That’s the way it is. I love you, but I’m hungry.

“I work in this job for money. I don’t work for nothing. Money. That’s it. The ring? [bleep] the ring. I don’t even wear my [bleeping] rings. I don’t.’’

Directly from his mouth. Oh and in the locker room he told the players the same thing. Said he could have stayed but he needs to do the best for his family and go where there is more money.

As for baiting you into a fight, I dont fight on the internet, I'm just concerned about your mental well being. Seriously walk away from the keyboard.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Directly from his mouth. Oh and in the locker room he told the players the same thing. Said he could have stayed but he needs to do the best for his family and go where there is more money.

As for baiting you into a fight, I dont fight on the internet, I'm just concerned about your mental well being. Seriously walk away from the keyboard.

It does seem pretty simple: I believe he got $16M from the Marlins, he was making what? $2M a year here with a year left on his deal and absolutely no guarantees going forward (how could there be?). He says it's all about money and doing what's best for his family and he has a $16M offer from the Marlins on the table with that door slamming shut if he doesn't accept it now, why wouldn't he bolt for Florida?

How can a manager be considered fired if he has a year left on his deal that he will not be compensated for and announces on his blog an hour after his farewell press conference that he's accepted an equivalent job elsewhere?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)

I think you guys take what Ozzie says way too seriously.

Of course he wanted the big big bucks from Florida but it never gets to this point if the White Sox want him. Never.

KW won this battle fair and square (in my opinion by sucking up to the boss, Jerry whereas Ozzie would not do that) unfortunately for Ozzie lovers like me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)

Of course he wanted the big big bucks from Florida but it never gets to this point if the White Sox want him. Never.

KW won this battle fair and square (in my opinion by sucking up to the boss, Jerry whereas Ozzie would not do that) unfortunately for Ozzie lovers like me.

I don't love it when you analyze.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)

Are you s***ting me?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
I don't love it when you analyze.

Ozzie put his cards on the table wanting KW, the man he despises, fired and KW trumped him.

KW won.

Why is my analysis wrong? If we believe what's written, Oz told Jerry he wanted KW out.

The Florida money is great but it never gets to that point if Oz remains King of Chicago.

BTW how did Florida work out this contract so quickly with Ozzie? Tampering. Sox should demand some more compensation IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
Ozzie put his cards on the table wanting KW, the man he despises, fired and KW trumped him.

KW won.

Why is my analysis wrong.

The Florida money is great but it never gets to that point if Oz remains King of Chicago.

BTW how did Florida work out this contract so quickly with Ozzie? Tampering. Sox should demand some more compensation IMO.

I think he does. I'm sure if they simply fired Kenny, he would still be complaining today how he wanted more money. It may have bought the Sox a little more time(perhaps the offseason), but Ozzie would still complain.

I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from, not meeting your goals 3 years in a row does not get you a contract extension, and definitely not a raise, which is what Ozzie wanted.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
I think he does. I'm sure if they simply fired Kenny, he would still be complaining today how he wanted more money. It may have bought the Sox a little more time(perhaps the offseason), but Ozzie would still complain.

I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from, not meeting your goals 3 years in a row does not get you a contract extension, and definitely not a raise, which is what Ozzie wanted.

And it certainly didn't help his cause when he decided to manage the team wearing a blindfold this year. Some of the worst in-game managing and lineups I've ever seen as a Sox fan.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Of course it's about the money. The odds of Guillen surviving past 2012 with the Sox were very long. The Marlins have a better chance at a playoff spot than the Sox over the next couple of years in my view which isn't saying much, but it is all about $16M versus $2M.

How on Earth are you guys rationally coming to this conclusion?

I mean, I tried to pour water on the idea that the Braves had the wild card locked up here a page or two ago...but that statement is an enormous stretch from "The Marlins might have a shot at competing for the wild card".

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
Of course it's about the money. The odds of Guillen surviving past 2012 with the Sox were very long. The Marlins have a better chance at a playoff spot than the Sox over the next couple of years in my view which isn't saying much, but it is all about $16M versus $2M.

At the same time, if Ozzie makes the playoffs, just once in the past 4 years, he would probably have a contract near that. He didn't, despite some high payroll teams. Instead, he spent more time fighting with Kenny and going through Cowley to get his thoughts across as well as letting Oney be the jobless nutless bum he is.

I agree, 2012 was a longshot for Guillen to stay through simply because over the last few years, he's failed to get his team to respond. Last year was even worse if not for that insane 25-5 run.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
Thing is, Marlins could very well go after someone like Reyes. I hope Marlins do go after some big name free agents, as the White Sox won't be pursuing those guys so I'd rather have the best players stay in the NL (as long as they don't sign with the Cubs).

The talk was about them going after Fielder.

Still do not think it matters that division will be really tough for the next couple of years and I do nto think guillen is a good enough game day manger to win in that division. when the Phils are aged the Nats will be coming of age.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
At the same time, if Ozzie makes the playoffs, just once in the past 4 years, he would probably have a contract near that. He didn't, despite some high payroll teams. Instead, he spent more time fighting with Kenny and going through Cowley to get his thoughts across as well as letting Oney be the jobless nutless bum he is.

I agree, 2012 was a longshot for Guillen to stay through simply because over the last few years, he's failed to get his team to respond. Last year was even worse if not for that insane 25-5 run.

He wouldn't have gotten the '12 option exercised and might have been fired then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
How much you want to bet that the reason the Sox are getting 2 players involves no tampering allegations ever being filed?

When I saw the names, Martinez and Marinez, I thought it was Kenny not wanting to make the Berry/Barry trade mistake again so he asked for two players.