Ozzie Guillen Released from Contract

HuskyCaucasian

Per Rotoworld

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Osvaldo Martinez will be sent to the White Sox along with a minor league pitcher in exchange for manager Ozzie Guillen.

Martinez, 23, was an 11th round selection in the 2006 MLB Amateur Draft. Known more for his defense than offense, he batted just .245/.296/.322 with three home runs and 26 RBI in 371 plate appearances this season at Triple-A New Orleans. He can't really be considered a prospect. The trade is expected to go final on Wednesday.

Per Florida top 10 2011 ML prospect ranking

#7 Osvaldo Martinez, SS, Grade C+: A good year, I can see him as a steady contributor, don't be deceived by small sample size success in the majors. He's more of a .250-.270 hitter with a fair OBP.

I really thought Sox could of done better than this IMO, but then again it is KW at the helm.

Edited by Soxfest

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
Per Rotoworld

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Osvaldo Martinez will be sent to the White Sox along with a minor league pitcher in exchange for manager Ozzie Guillen.

Martinez, 23, was an 11th round selection in the 2006 MLB Amateur Draft. Known more for his defense than offense, he batted just .245/.296/.322 with three home runs and 26 RBI in 371 plate appearances this season at Triple-A New Orleans. He can't really be considered a prospect. The trade is expected to go final on Wednesday.

I really thought Sox could of done better than this IMO, but then again it is KW at the helm.

How? It's not like there are other suitors out there or some huge market for him.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
Per Rotoworld

So wait...we traded Oz for Oz?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I can't believe no one mentioned this one

CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

Were the final words from Ozzie still tweaking KW? ("I am Chicago tough.")

I think that's tweaking the media, but then I think Ozzie's obsessed with his media critics here.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Per Rotoworld

#7 Osvaldo Martinez, SS, Grade C+: A good year, I can see him as a steady contributor, don't be deceived by small sample size success in the majors. He's more of a .250-.270 hitter with a fair OBP.

The Marlins don't have much in their system that's not already on their 40 man roster.

I see the sentiment is that we weren't supposed to celebrate. But upon hearing the news, my roommates and I broke open our bottle of Pappy Van Winkle and took a sip to wash down the last 3 awful, no good years. I'm anxious that white sox baseball could be a step up from god awful to mildly entertaining next year.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:46 AM)
also, lets get one thing straight, a new manager doesn't usually get the respect of his players in his first year and sometimes it takes a couple years for them to get used to the new guy

i don't expect much now going in to 2012, whereas with Ozzie, I hoped talent and complacency would prevail, but with a new mgr, i'm not so sure

Didn't Ozzie pretty much build up his team's respect throughout 2004?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
I see the sentiment is that we weren't supposed to celebrate. But upon hearing the news, my roommates and I broke open our bottle of Pappy Van Winkle and took a sip to wash down the last 3 awful, no good years. I'm anxious that white sox baseball could be a step up from god awful to mildly entertaining next year.

Let's not beat around the bush here...there is a lot of work to be done before the White Sox can get to "Mildy entertaining". A listless team with a listless new manager/front office would be almost as little fun as this year...the only difference is that the offensive factor/the outrage would be gone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Let's not beat around the bush here...there is a lot of work to be done before the White Sox can get to "Mildy entertaining". A listless team with a listless new manager/front office would be almost as little fun as this year...the only difference is that the offensive factor/the outrage would be gone.

To me, the most exciting part is the hope that a new hitting coach will get some of our core players back on track. For someone like Beckham, next year has to be a make it or break it year and the hitting coach excuse can't be used anymore. Same goes for Dunn...if he struggles next year, he's going to be out of baseball. I'm not saying a hitting coach can save either of these guy's career...but it's worth a try.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
Per Rotoworld

The Sox got rid of Ozzie and didn't have to pay him. When you fire a manager with time left on his deal, that is really all that matters.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
So let me get this straight. We have a GM that isn't allowed to fire his manager and we'll now have a new manager that will not be able to pick his own coaches? JR sucks.

Yeah, that was in the back of my mind when reading Cooper/extension too

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
To me, the most exciting part is the hope that a new hitting coach will get some of our core players back on track. For someone like Beckham, next year has to be a make it or break it year and the hitting coach excuse can't be used anymore. Same goes for Dunn...if he struggles next year, he's going to be out of baseball. I'm not saying a hitting coach can save either of these guy's career...but it's worth a try.

A new hitting coach is not something that's going to excite me. I'll give it a shot, but no excitement until I see results.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
So let me get this straight. We have a GM that isn't allowed to fire his manager and we'll now have a new manager that will not be able to pick his own coaches? JR sucks.

Are you talking about Cooper? I really doubt Kenny doesn't want him here since the Sox wouldn't let him talk to the Yankees last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)

That's the hard part of 2012. The results have sucked this year and we still put about a.500 team on the field. If you can get career normal years out of guys like Peavy, Rios, and Dunn, you have a playoff team in the making.