Ozzie Guillen Released from Contract

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
He managed our team to a WS title. I don't care if they retire the jersey number but they should either do that or have the statue.

The guys that undervalue a WS title surprise me.

I was at a luncheon today in KC and we talked about Ozzie and I swear to God the people at my table told me, 'Ozzie isn't popular? When was your last World Series before 2005?'

I said '1917.'

They laughed.

Where is the Pants Roland statue? Why isn't his number retired?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He managed our team to a WS title. I don't care if they retire the jersey number but they should either do that or have the statue.

I was at a luncheon today in KC and we talked about Ozzie and I swear to God the people at my table told me, 'Ozzie isn't popular? When was your last World Series before 2005?'

I said '1917.'

They laughed.

Half of those people have probably never seen the Royals play a single playoff game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Anybody who doesn't think Ozzie Guillen will get a statue someday doesn't know Jerry Reinsdorf. As long as Ozzie keeps his mouth shut about us, he'll get his statue.

Where's the Phil Jackson statue? He worked for Reinsdorf and won quite a few titles.

I said '1917.'

They laughed.

:lolhitting Sure, greg.

By your criteria, everybody should have a statue erected. KW doesn't deserve one? What about Coop? Mark? PK? Dye? s***, the statues will outnumber the fans if you have your way.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
When I saw the names, Martinez and Marinez, I thought it was Kenny not wanting to make the Berry/Barry trade mistake again so he asked for two players.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
So, I think we all kinda knew that when the Ozzie-KW thing blew up that he would bolt for Florida. I wonder where Ozzie will go after he (inevitably) f***s up his situation in Miami?

1.) Marty that is an incredible post. I'd call it post of the year candidate. My gosh, what a gem. Good job.

2.) I don't think he'll f*** it up in Miami but where will he go if he does?

Uh, he'll stay right there. 16 million bucks means he and all his kids are set for life 3 times over.

He'll enjoy life in Miami even if he f***s it up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)

By your criteria, everybody should have a statue erected. KW doesn't deserve one? What about Coop? Mark? PK? Dye? s***, the statues will outnumber the fans if you have your way.

Cmon. He was manager of a Chicago team that won a WS and also played ss for the Sox a long, long time.

He was a fan favorite as a player, too, even though some of you insist he's worse hitter than mark belanger.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
1.) Marty that is an incredible post. I'd call it post of the year candidate. My gosh, what a gem. Good job.

2.) I don't think he'll f*** it up in Miami but where will he go if he does?

Uh, he'll stay right there. 16 million bucks means he and all his kids are set for life 3 times over.

He'll enjoy life in Miami even if he f***s it up.

I'm starting to wonder if you're some 12 year old kid. You have zero substance to anything you post. You don't understand any baseball statistics, you fall in love with awful players, you seem to think the manager is more important to root for than the actual team, and every argument you rely on is 100% speculative conjecture.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
Cmon. He was manager of a Chicago team that won a WS and also played ss for the Sox a long, long time.

He was a fan favorite as a player, too, even though some of you insist he's worse hitter than mark belanger.

I can't speak pre-1991. But Frank, Ventura, Fisk, Bo, Thigpen, Black Jack were all MUCH more popular than Ozzie. Ozzie was a bum with the bat. But those were the days when it was acceptable to be a blackhole offensively at the SS position.

Even Craig Grebeck and Warren Newson were more popular. They had nicknames. What was Ozzie's nickname? What? Haha. I'm getting ridiculous now. But greg brings that out of me.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)

Mark Buehrle will have a statue. I bet PK will, too.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
I can't speak pre-1991. But Frank, Ventura, Fisk, Bo, Thigpen, Black Jack were all MUCH more popular than Ozzie. Ozzie was a bum with the bat. But those were the days when it was acceptable to be a blackhole offensively at the SS position.

For sure, and dont forget my namesake, someone who was actually productive and has HOF credentials. Ozzie was colorful and was good with the glove, but he was not a face of the team nor someone who would make your top 5 jersey list at the time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
I hope not. Retired numbers are one thing. Statues should be for legends. And I hate the fact that Fisk has one.

We should have 2 statues right now: Frank and Comiskey. Harold having a statue is a joke and Fisk is just silly, handing them out to very good/borderline great players that won't be getting into the hall just waters down the honor that comes with being immortalized in statue form.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
We should have 2 statues right now: Frank and Comiskey. Harold having a statue is a joke and Fisk is just silly, handing them out to very good/borderline great players that won't be getting into the hall just waters down the honor that comes with being immortalized in statue form.

It's official. Kalapse agrees with me. Now I know I'm right.