Ozzie Guillen Released from Contract

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Yeah, I just finally got to that quote you posted.

Jesus Christ. KW. WTF buddy.

I really wish we'd just have cleaned house.

You know, if Swisher had actually hit, it probably would have been a tolerable solution for a year or two.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
A short term DL stint for a problem associated with his mechanics? Come on man. This is like Stras blowing his elbow out. Yeah, it was sad to have it happen, but you had to know it was possible.

IIRC, Coop tried to get him to change his mechanics so he wouldn't get hurt later. Peavy didn't like it and went back to his old way of throwing.

The new manager’s star power was evident at his Wednesday unveiling. The Dolphins fill about one-third that room for postgame press conferences. For Guillen, you couldn’t have slipped a sheet of notebook paper between the wall-to-wall media.

Guillen won a World Series with the White Sox in 2005 but is as famous for his candid outspokenness and eccentricity. Suddenly, because of Guillen far more than the new ballpark, the Marlins brand is bigger nationally, bigger in Latin America. Suddenly, the Marlins will be discovered by ESPN SportsCenter.

Guillen likened his deteriorating situation in Chicago to a hurricane and said he was allowed to “evacuate.” At that Samson leaned into a smiling Loria and whispered, “Hurricane Ozzie has arrived.” (Loria, evidently smitten by the metaphor, later referred to Guillen as “a Category 5 manager.”).

Guillen, I was pleased to hear first hand, will espouse on anything he is asked. Probably even baseball, if it ever came to that!

Animated frowns, gestures and shrugs decorate his speech. Words come fast and loud, and occasionally in slips a word (or three) seldom heard in, say, a church sermon.

It is difficult to imagine Guillen won’t get on the nerves of Loria, who couldn’t get along with Joe Girardi or Fredi Gonzalez. Even Guillen admitted that some, at a glance, might think, “Wow, that’s a crazy combo!”

But Loria knows what he is buying, seems genuinely thrilled to have him, and should be. If this has been a bland franchise lately, Guillen is a one-man spice rack.

His English is heavily accented, charmingly fractured and wonderfully unfiltered. Ask him anything. Seriously.

Like: Ozzie, are you a Hugo Chavez supporter as we’ve heard alleged on local Spanish radio? No, he said. But then he also said, “People talk a lot of s--- about Fidel or Chavez, that’s their problem. I wish I knew [Chavez], I’d be ambassador to Spain, collecting money and watch bullfights. Everybody in every country deserves [the government] they get.” The latter comment won’t endear Guillen to Miami Cubans, but pandering seems of little interest to this man.

Guillen, on how the Dolphins haven’t done much for years: “No s--- they haven’t. Am I lying?”

On why the Marlins needed their own stadium: “You come here and you see Shula and the ’72 team. After they win a World Series they don’t deserve that.”

On coming into LeBron James’ and Dwyane Wade’s town: “In Chicago Mike Ditka was gone, Michael Jordan was gone and Oprah left. It was Ozzie’s town. Now I’m No. 4 [after the Heat’s Big 3]. I’m done!”

On money: “I’m gonna put a championship ring on your finger or give you $10 million, what you take? My satisfaction is a ring, but my goal is to have money!”

On baseball fans: “If they knew the game, they’d be sitting next to me.”

(Guillen was not even asked about his following the Santeria religion, which was probably just as well. Although no animals were sacrificed in his time in Chicago).

Guillen’s arrival is not as big as LeBron last summer taking his talents to South Beach, but in a baseball context it is close. It would take a superstar signing — of an Albert Pujols stature — for the Marlins to top this.

“I want people out there to feel proud to be a Marlins fan,” Guillen said. “I’m not cocky, I’m not arrogant. I have confidence. I feel like I’m back home. I’m ready to go into spring training and kick some butts.”

For the Marlins, the future is now here, and the snapshot of it is a swank new ballpark and a garrulous Ozzie Guillen.

The Marlins’ past? That left us Wednesday, but left the memories behind. And the snapshot there, for me, will always be those early-arriving fans applauding reverently, and moving Jack McKeon to tears.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/28/2430...l#ixzz1ZN9yEtp4

So essentially, Loria's gambling the Guillen contract will pad his pocketbooks enough in the short-term to limit the long-term damage Ozzie will eventually do to that organization, right?

If anyone really believes they're going to spend on Aramis Ramirez, Fielder, Pujols, Reyes, Edwin Jackson, etc., they have another thing coming.

I can't believe a lot of you take literally all the motormouth stuff that comes from Ozzie's mouth.

Read this great blog on Ozzieguillen.com.

Gracious man. I don't understand the venom toward him.

Oz writes. ...

This has been a tough couple of days for me and my family. Change is never easy, especially when you are leaving an organization you spent 22 years of your life with. The Chicago White Sox were the first organization to give me the opportunities to both play and manage in the big leagues. For 22 years, I tried to give them everything I had every day. In 2005, we were able to do something that hadn’t been done in 88 years — bring the World Series trophy back to the city of Chicago. Handing that trophy over to Mr. Jerry Reinsdorf is something I will never forget because I knew how important it was to him. That was a dream of both of ours, and no one will ever be able to take that away from us.

I want to thank everyone that made my years in Chicago special. First of all, I had the opportunity to manage some great players and need to thank them for coming to the park ready to play every single day. Thank you to my great coaching staff, the front office, Minor League department, security, grounds crew, everyone that works at the ballpark and everyone that worked for and played for the White Sox from 2004-11. I also can’t thank the fans enough for the love and support they showed me and my family throughout my career. I hope that support can continue in the future. Chicago will ALWAYS be my home, and my message to all the fans is simply this: I will forever love you and will never forget you.

As I’m sure most of you know, a new chapter in my life began today. It’s hard to explain how happy and excited I am to be joining the Miami Marlins organization. I’m honored that they wanted me to be a part of this new era in Marlins baseball. I want to thank Mr. Jeffrey Loria, Mr. David Samson, Mr. Larry Beinfest, Mr. Michael Hill and Jack McKeon for everything they have done for the Marlins organization and the opportunity they have given me. My goal is to make them and Marlins fans everywhere proud of their team. I can promise you that we are going to play the game the right way. I am really looking forward to the future and can’t wait to get started!!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
There's ZERO chance that was written by Ozzie Guillen personally.

It was written by someone in the PR office of the Florida Marlins, 100%.

There's not a single grammatical error....so obvious, it's not Ozzie's style of expression at all.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)

There's not a single grammatical error....so obvious, it's not Ozzie's style of expression at all.

hahahaaa...ya think.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
The Ozzie hatred wears me out.

The thing is on HIS website. He could have dictated the message to somebody who wrote it.

I love Ozzie Guillen.

Fixed.

He never was a class act. Never.

I loved Ozzie, then he just became more of an ass.

He is not, will never be, and never was (except to fans at the stadium), a class act.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 07:52 AM)
Fixed.

He never was a class act. Never.

I loved Ozzie, then he just became more of an ass.

He is not, will never be, and never was (except to fans at the stadium), a class act.

Did u read his article on his website? Class.

Except to fans at the stadium? That's huge in itself. These ballplayers and managers come to the ballpark for 6 months out of the year.To always be gracious??? That's class. Lots of guys pretend to not see the fans and ignore them. Ozz is nice to them? Class.

Ozzie likes to talk and a lot of you hate his mouth.

Don't hate the man. hate the mouth.

p.s. It'd be neat to see polls on here.

Are u glad Ozzie Guillen got fired?

Do you wish Ozzie was still the Sox manager?

Would I be the only one to vote no and yes on those 2 questions?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 02:01 AM)
Did u read his article on his website? Class.

Except to fans at the stadium? That's huge in itself. These guys come to the ballpark for 6 months. He's always gracious??? That's class.

Ozzie likes to talk and a lot of you hate his mouth.

Greg, that only goes so far.

You can't say that about Reverend Fred Phelps down in your neck of the woods or Terry Jones in Florida.

What he says and has said, whether he intended it to be for public consumption (and he's 100% aware of when a mike or tape recorder is around him, ask Phil Rogers)...coming directly from his mouth, he's made a lot of his original fans turn against him the last 2-3 seasons. Surely nobody was anti-Ozzie like they are now back in 2008.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 07:06 AM)
Greg, that only goes so far.

You can't say that about Reverend Fred Phelps down in your neck of the woods or Terry Jones in Florida.

What he says and has said, whether he intended it to be for public consumption (and he's 100% aware of when a mike or tape recorder is around him, ask Phil Rogers)...coming directly from his mouth, he's made a lot of his original fans turn against him the last 2-3 seasons. Surely nobody was anti-Ozzie like they are now back in 2008.

I hate that Phelps guy, though.

Surprised this Cowley story isn't getting commented upon.

Yes, KW was the reason Ozzie left.

I agree with Cowley's sentiments, especially the last line.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...asnt-there.html

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 02:01 AM)

Greg, I like you, I really do.

But this is the dumbest sentence I've ever seen on SoxTalk.

The mouth is part of the man.

And I say the fans at the stadium, when he was a player. As a player, there was a reason kids loved him, autographs and he would give plenty.

I doubt he did that as manager.

Ozzie was working in a situation that happens to a lot of employees, you don't get along with your boss. And as been noted in other threads, they may never have gotten along. On top of that your boss continues to send employees into your department that are not always what you ask for, or what you need. Most of your employees seem to like you, but your boss is their boss too, and that conflicts loyalties on their part. Meanwhile there is another company that has tried to hire you several times. Your boss doesn't seem to want you, this other company wants you a lot, and you sit there. Frustrated. You hate the company you work for, but love most of the people you are working with. You even love the owner, even though he isn't coming to your rescue.

Then it appears there is an end in sight. However it will happen after the company that really wants you already has someone. Your boss is going to get his final revenge, you will be unemployed with no obvious job opportunity available. You do like having an income, the awards and s*** you earned while working for the company are nice, and you'd like to earn a few more, but money in the bank pays for food, raiment, and shelter. So what's your only way out?

-----------

I always predicted Oz would be fired for some Al Campanis type comment. I easily see his career going in one of two directions. A Tony La Russa type, a long time in Florida, or a spectacular explosion of his mouth. Either way, thank you Oz. You left a season or two too late.

Ozzie Guillen is not a class act. Over the past couple years he has been the antithesis of a class act. He wore out his welcome here, asked for more money and for the GM to be fired, and then he quit. He's going to go to Florida and be the same Ozzie. I think less people will care because there are just less people down there that care about baseball. If he starts talking crap about Metamucil or Rascals or Life Alert, well that'll be a different story.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)

As a matter of a fact that wasn't written by anyone who has a Guillen in their name, or wishes they could be an adopted son of a Guillen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
The Ozzie hatred wears me out.

The thing is on HIS website. He could have dictated the message to somebody who wrote it.

I love Ozzie Guillen. Class act.

What the... Greg, seriously, look at what you are doing here.

Just yesterday you were talking about how Ozzie SAID, his words live, that he was leaving for money... and your response was, Ozzie being Ozzie, you don't believe him, just talking to talk, etc. Then you look at an article on his website that obviously wasn't written by him personally, and suddenly you believe every word of that??!?!?!?! Even if he did write every word, how is that believable but his other words are not? I mean, unless he isn't an honest person.

If you can't see how hilarious your inconsistency is here, then you have no grip on reality, and no one is going to want to have a discussion with you on this topic.