White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
My dream? Terry Francona

My guess? Sandy Alomar Jr.

I'd like to see Dave Martinez hired though, assuming Tito isn't canned for the Red Sox collapse, or if they make the playoffs.

I'll give Sandy a chance but can't the Sox do better?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:35 AM)
The other 2 are much better candidates imo.

Tito obviously is. I think if he's available, the Sox will go all in for him. But I'm not sure if he will be. I also think Dave Martinez is a better guy, but I don't know if the Sox would hire somebody so SABR-influenced.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:38 AM)
Tito obviously is. I think if he's available, the Sox will go all in for him. But I'm not sure if he will be. I also think Dave Martinez is a better guy, but I don't know if the Sox would hire somebody so SABR-influenced.

Francona would be a great hire, imo. He's proven, classy, can handle pressure/media, and seems to be a pretty good in game manager (can atleast fillout a lineup card fairly well). He's about as good of a match as the Sox will find.

Martinez would be very interesting, as it would be the complete opposite in terms of Ozzie's philosophy, and since Im more into Sabr I would be just fine with it, as long as he shows leadership and communication skills.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:26 AM)
My dream? Terry Francona

My guess? Sandy Alomar Jr.

I'd like to see Dave Martinez hired though, assuming Tito isn't canned for the Red Sox collapse, or if they make the playoffs.

Even if Terry Francona were canned, I don't think JR/KW would go for him unfortunately. I think it's definitely gonna be a younger, less experienced guy like Alomar or Martinez.

I dont think the Sox could go wrong with either Alomar or Martinez. Martinez has been coaching longer, but as a catcher I think that Alomar has a good insight into both pitchers and hitters. All of my favorite managers are former catchers so that boosts the star of Alomar in my eyes.

I think JR needs to hire the new GM before hiring a manager though, and if he doesn't get a new GM, might as well have Buddy Bell come in, because there won't be a lot of change in the way Sox operate and the results will be similar regardless of manager.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
Buddy Bell is the name that the pro-Ozzie crowd is trying to promote in order to make it sound like "oh no, we'll go with the old guy cause the Sox could never find a solid replacement".

If I had to pick a few names on the "would rather not go with" list, it's sorta him an Cora.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
THis was just brought up on the Score:

Imagine Dave Martinez coaching the Sox and Ryne Sandberg coaching the Cubs....

Yes, some soxtalk posters have brought that up for a couple years now. The tension when those two go to give the ump their lineup cards (and even the "handshake") will be immense.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 05:56 AM)
I'd say it's something like this:

75% - Alomar

20% - Bell

4% - Martinez

1% - Other

I'm rooting for Martinez.

Think we would all love to see that, but not going to happen. This team is clearly heading into a rebuilding phase and it will be tough to recruit Martinez IMO. Think your odds here are pretty spot-on and think unfortunately we will end-up with a milktoast manager like Alomar to oversee the rough patch for the next 2-3 years ... Alomar just sounds/feels like a Jerry hire, doesn't he?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
Steve Stone was on 670 this morning and stated that the search will be very "quick", and he's pretty sure it'll be Sandy Alomar, and if not Alomar, Martinez.

Will they hire the new guy before trading ozzie or do they have to wait?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
Steve Stone was on 670 this morning and stated that the search will be very "quick", and he's pretty sure it'll be Sandy Alomar, and if not Alomar, Martinez.

Alomar has studied under Manny Acta (who i adore) it's not as good as the Maddon-Martinez connection, but it's not awful.