White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
Think we would all love to see that, but not going to happen. This team is clearly heading into a rebuilding phase and it will be tough to recruit Martinez IMO. Think your odds here are pretty spot-on and think unfortunately we will end-up with a milktoast manager like Alomar to oversee the rough patch for the next 2-3 years ... Alomar just sounds/feels like a Jerry hire, doesn't he?

Better Alomar Jr. than LaRussa or Buddy Bell.

Actually I'd be alright with Sandy Alomar Jr.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
Steve Stone was on 670 this morning and stated that the search will be very "quick", and he's pretty sure it'll be Sandy Alomar, and if not Alomar, Martinez.

Sandy Alomar? Is Kenny gonna hire Roberto & Carl Everett as coaches?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
How cool would this staff be?

Head Coach: Alomar JR

Bench Coach: Omar Vizquel

Pitching Coach: Coop

Hitting Coach: Frank Thomas

Third-Base Coach: I dunno... Kenny Lofton?

That would be awful. You'd have two guys on your whole staff with any coaching experience, and one with experience at their job.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
How cool would this staff be?

Head Coach: Alomar JR

Bench Coach: Omar Vizquel

Pitching Coach: Coop

Hitting Coach: Frank Thomas

Third-Base Coach: I dunno... Kenny Lofton?

I am still not sold on this idea like some other people. Just because he was a great hitter, it does not mean he will automatically be a great coach.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
I am still not sold on this idea like some other people. Just because he was a great hitter, it does not mean he will automatically be a great coach.

I'm hung on this too actually. We always hope that a great hitter would make a great hitting coach, but it never works like this.

Just curious. For quite some time I have been reading about the Dave Martinez hype. Can someone give me the low down on why they really believe that HE IS THE GUY. I don't know much about his managerial credentials, and how he is at handling players. Also, how is he at being able to get the best out of them in order for us to believe that we can have a winning team again?

Looking foe all comments that have some real validity to them as to why there are so many posts on the Dave Martinez bandwagon. (Just a side note) I'm not for or against. Just looking for some "rock solid" answers as to why so many posts have been made as to why they thought that he would be the perfect fit for our new manager.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
Just curious. For quite some time I have been reading about the Dave Martinez hype. Can someone give me the low down on why they really believe that HE IS THE GUY. I don't know much about his managerial credentials, and how he is at handling players. Also, how is he at being able to get the best out of them in order for us to believe that we can have a winning team again?

Looking foe all comments that have some real validity to them as to why there are so many posts on the Dave Martinez bandwagon. (Just a side note) I'm not for or against. Just looking for some "rock solid" answers as to why so many posts have been made as to why they thought that he would be the perfect fit for our new manager.

He has been mentored by a very good manager for the past few years. He also knows the Chicago market and the media here. That's all I know.

EDIT: He's been involved with a franchise that has played very well with a limited payroll.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
Buddy Bell took his current job because he did not want to manage.

If Martinez, McEwing or Alomar get the job they better have a veteran baseball guy as a bench coach. That may be a good role for Buddy Bell.

I keep seeing Jim Fregosi's name pop up in the articles speculating about who the next manager might be. I think his time for managing may have passed, but he probably wouldn't be the worst choice for a bench coach.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
Hmmm...wonder how many caught that one?

It would be really interesting if Sandberg and Martinez were managing the Cubs and Sox. Would definitely dial up the intensity on that rivalry again.

Hah, I giggled...

Still trying to get the Dave Martinez, thing. But I guess look at successful Maddon has been from learning from Sciosia. Then there's Ron Roenicke, too.

Tim Laker for hitting coach, since he worked with these Knight Sox.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Still trying to get the Dave Martinez, thing. But I guess look at successful Maddon has been from learning from Sciosia. Then there's Ron Roenicke, too.

Tim Laker for hitting coach, since he worked with these Knight Sox.

Martinez is going to be very good with young players, which is one of Ozzie's glaring weaknesses. He also understands how to analyze data, at least one would think, as he is Maddon's right hand man.

These are two things we have very much lacked under Ozzie.