Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5958628.story

Ozzie in Miami; Cooper to manage final two games

Email

print

Comments

Share0

Ozzie in Miami; Cooper to manage final two games

Pitching coach Don Cooper will remain with the Sox and manage the last two games. (Jose M. Osorio/Tribune Photo)

By Mark Gonzales, Tribune reporter

1:06 p.m. CDT, September 27, 2011

Shortly after Ozzie Guillen tweeted that he had arrived in Miami, a team source said Tuesday that pitching coach Don Cooper will manage the Chicago White Sox's final two games of the 2011 season.

"Weird to be in miami in this time but very happy ready to go," Guillen tweeted on his account, @OzzieGuillen.

Speculation in Miami is that Guillen will be introduced Wednesday as the Florida Marlins' manager as part of a planned season-ending ceremony heralding the team's move to a new ballpark in 2012.

Cooper, who hasn't managed in the Sox's system, will be assisted by first base coach Harold Baines.

The decision means that Sox bench coach Joey Cora likely will join Guillen in Florida. Cora lives in South Florida in the offseason and has interviewed for several managerial positions.

Cooper is expected to stay with the Sox through next season.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
How cool would this staff be?

Head Coach: Alomar JR

Bench Coach: Omar Vizquel

Pitching Coach: Coop

Hitting Coach: Frank Thomas

Third-Base Coach: I dunno... Kenny Lofton?

I think Chambliss has earned the right to be the new hitting coach IMO...

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Just curious. For quite some time I have been reading about the Dave Martinez hype. Can someone give me the low down on why they really believe that HE IS THE GUY.

The truth is NO ONE knows. This is the 'backup QB' or 'backup goalie" syndrome where the unknown actually harbors more promise. NO ONE can know if David Martinez is a capable manager, but he's young, has been working with skilled people thus far and like I said...he has no managerial resume that can be dissected and picked apart.

There are issues on this team that need to be addressed. Kenny Williams is just as much a part of this as is Ozzie, and I argue Williams has done more damage with how shoddy our minor league system is. His desire to collect big money "baseball cards" has cost the Sox some pretty good young (and cheap) talent.

The ONLY THING that keeps me even slightly on Kenny's side is while he has made some foolish trades, he also has a knack for grabbing guys off the scrap heap who turn into pretty good ball players. If he would get back to that type of prudent managing I think he could be a leader of a new rebuild in Chicago, that wouldn't take 10 years.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Guillen had to go, but how in the heck do you appoint Cora the interim manager last night and this morning Williams texts him not to show up tonight. What an embarrassment. Kenny Williams needs to get his act together.

What? What a dick move!

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Guillen had to go, but how in the heck do you appoint Cora the interim manager last night and this morning Williams texts him not to show up tonight. What an embarrassment. Kenny Williams needs to get his act together.

You mean the guy who already has another job lined up? Yeah, I don't feel too bad for him.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Everybody and their brother knew he'd go to Florida with Guillen. Why name him the interim manager?

Did the team actually name him anything officially? It's been reported that he was simply told not to show up today.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)

If that is true ... KW should be fired again.

Somebody should interview current managers in baseball like LaRussa off the record and find out what they think of the laughable KW.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
Did the team actually name him anything officially? It's been reported that he was simply told not to show up today.

Per Cowley;

The strange end to the White Sox’ 2011 season took another odd twist this morning when general manager Ken Williams essentially fired interim manager Joey Cora and replaced him with pitching coach Don Cooper.

Shortly after the Sox announced the immediate end to the Ozzie Guillen era Monday night, Cora, Guillen’s close friend and bench coach, was told he would serve as interim manager for the final two games.

A team official also told reporters that Cora would serve as interim manager.