Your mood going into the offseason

Kyyle23

Soxtalk's finest, Please vote  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which one best describes your mood

• Excited: It Finally Happened! This is awesome!
    • Saddened: I will miss the Ozzeroo, he was fun while he was here. But it was necessary
    • Anxious: Not really sure of the direction of the franchise from here
    • Pissed off: The wrong guy got the axe, Oz is not to blame here

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
I caught that too. What did Hawk say?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
I somehow missed this. Can you paraphrase?

All of the video's from the presser are up at CSN... Ozzie, Kenny, AJ, Paulie, Hawk, etc.

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/whitesoxvideo#

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wedge @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Put me down for anxious, mixed with the sadness option.

Going forward, Dunn, Rios, and Peavy all need to produce (or traded) for this club to have a hope of competing. Management likely needs to adjust its decision making processes so huge mistakes like those aren't made going forwards.

I hope for the best for the new manager, but fear Williams will saddle whoever it is with an untenable roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
I think my mood is best described as "Dour". Not because of Ozzie being replaced, but because of the storm clouds on the horizon for the team.

I would agree with both of these.

Future is not bright unless KW works a miracle with the roster.

That Ozzie had changed over recent years, the clubhouse didn't respond to the way he became, and that he thought the timing of his contract extension request a few months ago derailed any momentum the team had.

FWIW my co-worker and many here have been saying this for years.

I would wonder out loud how you go from WS champion to 1/2 a good year and then to corpseball, as so many here have referred to it.

And he would say, as others have, that Ozzie's "style" wore off after '05--that players were tuning him out and that's the death of any team. Maybe all that loose cannon stuff was a novelty in '04/'05, but clearly the team was not responding to him. To hear HAWK of all people blurt that out just confirms it.

And Paulie, in the locker room last night, he did not seem one IOTA regretful that Ozzie was gone. I thought that was deafening, that reaction.

I'm just taking a wait and see approach at this point. I'm absolutely thrilled that Ozzie is gone but I still need to see the direction that we're going in here. I would have preferred to see Kenny fired as well but I can actually deal with him being given another year where as I would have thrown a hissy fit if Ozzie was back.

My biggest hope at this point is that JR stays away from anything to do with personnel decisions of this club and allows Kenny to 100 percent do his job.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
That Ozzie had changed over recent years, the clubhouse didn't respond to the way he became, and that he thought the timing of his contract extension request a few months ago derailed any momentum the team had.

FWIW my co-worker and many here have been saying this for years.

I would wonder out loud how you go from WS champion to 1/2 a good year and then to corpseball, as so many here have referred to it.

And he would say, as others have, that Ozzie's "style" wore off after '05--that players were tuning him out and that's the death of any team. Maybe all that loose cannon stuff was a novelty in '04/'05, but clearly the team was not responding to him. To hear HAWK of all people blurt that out just confirms it.

And Paulie, in the locker room last night, he did not seem one IOTA regretful that Ozzie was gone. I thought that was deafening, that reaction.

I'll say it here since this isn't the appreciation thread.

I think what changed with Ozzie is that he stopped being "Chicago tough", to use his words, and I think it really started when his kids started getting more involved.

For the past couple years, if you listened to the actual words coming out of his mouth, he was constantly harping on people for criticizing him. You could tell, it was getting to him in a way that I don't remember happening in say, 2007. And Ozzie's reaction to this was to start more and more trying to do things that proved he was right and everyone else was wrong. His decisions got more extreme, high risk "See I'm right" kinda moves, he became more and more intent on covering for his guys, and he became much less willing to cover for everyone else outside.

I think it was his kids getting involved that really snapped it for him, personally. Suddenly people weren't just criticizing him, they were criticizing his family. It went from being a job to being personal. And since his kids were, let's say, involved with some of the players in certain ways, criticism of the preparation of those players became criticism of his kids. So he covered for those players and left everyone else feeling like they didn't matter.

Saddened and anxious at the moment. I'm generally just unsure though. The organization's future is really going to be decided this winter in a lot of ways, and I'm afraid how it will look. I'm happy Ozzie is gone, but I'm not excited about the franchise at all right now. We still look to be in pretty bad shape.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Was anybody else completely turned off/disgusted by Ozzie's comments (in the Trib) about how all he cared about at this stage was money and more money? Literally saying f*** the ring, he wants to get paid?

Wow, Marlins management must be excited to hear that, paying him $4 million a year.

Not: I want to win, or I want to EARN my big money, just... yup... wait for it.... SHOW ME THE MONEY.

For those comments alone he should be gone and, as one columnist pointed out: Ozzie didn't get fired, he quit.

Don't be shocked that people in professional sports think of it as a business. Winning is for fans, money is for athletes and coaches. Having a huge retirement fund is preferred over having a rings that says "We won it all". When a wealthy person goes bankrupt they have a fear it could happen to them.

Pissed off was my vote.. I give it a year and a half before everyone hates whoever the new manager is here because we are either sucking with the current cast of KW failures or we are rebuilding and still stuck with some of the cast of KW failures.. Either way, KW blows and should have been shown the door as well..

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
Im excited to see if anything changes, but anxious and concerned that things won't.

That's why my mood is "meh".

I think getting just getting rid of Ozzie is a major improvement. Even when Manuel was manager who had Maggs and Thomas, the Sox turned into mental midgets in big games.

It's a boring team and not resigning MB will only make it more boring.

The offseason will be boring because they will not sign anyone and possibly make more WTF? trades.

I don't expect a new hitting coach to make an immediate impact.

The pitching looks even more suspect. I think giving Coop 4 years was a bit premature.

I hope Beckham improves at the plate.

Edited by kitekrazy

I try not to have negative emotions when it comes to sports. Rarely, especially in Chicago baseball does your team have a chance at a championship. Happy I got one for sure but I associate it as a team thing not a manager or GM. I've seen my share of players, managers and owners come and go. The one constant is 90 % of the time we don't win.

If I were to be bothered by losing all the time I'd already have an ulcer or high blood pressure. The only thing that bothers me slightly is being known as a laughing stock or dysfunctional. I'd rather the team be un-noticed . I find no thrill at all when Ozzie got pub for being crass or foul-mouthed . Ozzie and family antics did bother me but more so what he did on the field. I hoped ( and wrote here) he was a lame duck after the nationally televised game where he did his fishing pole thing, a reference perhaps to the off season or the Marlins.

So how do I feel ? Glad the sideshow and on field showing up of KW is over. Looking forward to De Aza and Viciedo playing full time and maybe even Flowers getting a shot ; Sale , Stewart and Axlerod getting a chance at starting and Reed in the pen. Always look forward , never look back . Keep hope alive but don't expect miracles. It's always spring training in my mind. As a Sox fan I know no other way.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 02:27 AM)
I try not to have negative emotions when it comes to sports. Rarely, especially in Chicago baseball does your team have a chance at a championship. Happy I got one for sure but I associate it as a team thing not a manager or GM. I've seen my share of players, managers and owners come and go. The one constant is 90 % of the time we don't win.

If I were to be bothered by losing all the time I'd already have an ulcer or high blood pressure. The only thing that bothers me slightly is being known as a laughing stock or dysfunctional. I'd rather the team be un-noticed . I find no thrill at all when Ozzie got pub for being crass or foul-mouthed . Ozzie and family antics did bother me but more so what he did on the field. I hoped ( and wrote here) he was a lame duck after the nationally televised game where he did his fishing pole thing, a reference perhaps to the off season or the Marlins.

So how do I feel ? Glad the sideshow and on field showing up of KW is over. Looking forward to De Aza and Viciedo playing full time and maybe even Flowers getting a shot ; Sale , Stewart and Axlerod getting a chance at starting and Reed in the pen. Always look forward , never look back . Keep hope alive but don't expect miracles. It's always spring training in my mind. As a Sox fan I know no other way.

Yikes. Depressing, but true.