Sox acquire Marlins' #4 & #5 prospects for Ozzie.

macsandz

Very nice haul all things considered. Both could be future impact players.

Jhan Marinez

Marinez, 23, posted a 3.57 ERA, 11.5 K/9, 6.5 BB/9, and 1.1 HR/9 in 58 Double-A relief innings this year. Prior to the season, Baseball America ranked Marinez fourth among Marlins prospects, citing a "combination of great stuff and immaturity." Marinez has a closer repertoire, wrote BA.

Osvaldo Martinez

Martinez, a 23-year-old shortstop, hit .245/.296/.322 in 371 Triple-A plate appearances this year. Prior to the season, Baseball America ranked him fifth among Marlins prospects, saying he profiles as a "solid No. 2 hitter" with a strong arm, good instincts, and soft hands at shortstop. At that time, BA saw a future as a versatile but quality utilityman the worst-case scenario for Martinez.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Very nice haul all things considered. Both could be future impact players.

Jhan Marinez

Marinez, 23, posted a 3.57 ERA, 11.5 K/9, 6.5 BB/9, and 1.1 HR/9 in 58 Double-A relief innings this year. Prior to the season, Baseball America ranked Marinez fourth among Marlins prospects, citing a "combination of great stuff and immaturity." Marinez has a closer repertoire, wrote BA.

Osvaldo Martinez

Martinez, a 23-year-old shortstop, hit .245/.296/.322 in 371 Triple-A plate appearances this year. Prior to the season, Baseball America ranked him fifth among Marlins prospects, saying he profiles as a "solid No. 2 hitter" with a strong arm, good instincts, and soft hands at shortstop. At that time, BA saw a future as a versatile but quality utilityman the worst-case scenario for Martinez.

I was hoping for a top end prospect, Florida minor league system is ranked just as bad as the White Sox. Martinez could be a utility infielder and Jhan a 7th or 8th inning type guy. Maybe I just got my hopes up too high on this one expecting a better return. It is not a terrible return it is what it is!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Osvaldo Martinez

Based strictly what I saw from his stats, he has one good year, followed by one bad year, followed by one good year... you get the idea.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I was hoping for a top end prospect, Florida minor league system is ranked just as bad as the White Sox. Martinez could be a utility infielder and Jhan a 7th or 8th inning type guy. Maybe I just got my hopes up too high on this one expecting a better return. It is not a terrible return it is what it is!

I think the story of the Sox asking for Morrison last year distorted a lot of perceptions as to Ozzie's worth.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
No one else enjoys the irony of getting a player back who can legitimately be called "Ozzie"?

Guillen said only way he would do a deal to leave is if JR/KW still had to deal with an Ozzie in some way, shape or form! :lolhitting

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
Getting rid of Ozzie is the key, whatever we get back is just icing. Getting a couple OK prospects is actually a better haul than I would have expected, this works just fine.

Any haul should be better than expected.

We got out of our crappy manager's contract. That's awesome. Oh yeah here's a guy who throw 100mph too.

Don't know how anyone can complain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
No one else enjoys the irony of getting a player back who can legitimately be called "Ozzie"?

I do. Plus, it seems like KW was lazy and picked two guys whose names were listed together alphabetically.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Rumor yesterday is that it was Stanton we asked for

Yeah, and Ozzie asked for an extension and KW's firing. You can ask for anything you want. Doesn't mean much.

Pretty good haul considering we easily could have fired Ozzie and owed him a year on his contract.

Its a nice haul for a lame duck manager who only cares about himself and money. I doubt its enough for jordan4life to blow kenny though. Which is what the organization really needed. At best he may fluff him up a little and walk away, or brush against him as he walks by.

Edited by MAX