KW offered to step down or move to another spot

chisoxfan09

Could this be true? Thoughts?

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgeL...esox-afterozzie

Article:

CHICAGO (AP)—White Sox general manager Ken Williams says he offered to step aside or take another job in the organization after some of his offseason moves failed to pan out and the team floundered.

Williams made his comments in the dugout the day after manager Ozzie Guillen was released from his contract with one year remaining. Guillen is expected to become the Marlins’ new manager.

Williams says he made the offer to owner Jerry Reinsdorf and would have understood if the White Sox wanted to put someone else in his seat. Chicago will miss the playoffs for a third straight season.

Williams reiterated Tuesday he has a short list of candidates to replace Guillen and already has started to work on finding a successor

Hahn will get a shot, just not today.

Its probably moves like this that prevented Reinsdorf from firing Kenny. You have one guy (KW) who admits his mistakes and takes responsibility. You have another (Ozzie) who demands an extension.

He never admitted it.. He stated, if JR thinks he is the problem.. Not tell JR, look this is my mess.. That's a big difference.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
He never admitted it.. He stated, if JR thinks he is the problem.. Not tell JR, look this is my mess.. That's a big difference.

Clearly instead of offering to resign when things are your fault, you go in and ask for an extension and try to get someone else fired.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
Clearly instead of offering to resign when things are your fault, you go in and ask for an extension and try to get someone else fired.

Not just an extension, but also a raise. I bet if Ozzie stays quiet until the offseason, quietly asks for an extension and doesn't ask for KW to be fired, he ends up getting that extension. KW showed him how to act when he gets in these types of battles. Stay quiet, keep to yourself. Take some blame, but don't mention anyone else as part of the problem.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
Not just an extension, but also a raise. I bet if Ozzie stays quiet until the offseason, quietly asks for an extension and doesn't ask for KW to be fired, he ends up getting that extension. KW showed him how to act when he gets in these types of battles. Stay quiet, keep to yourself. Take some blame, but don't mention anyone else as part of the problem.

I honestly believe if Ozzie and his cabal keep quiet, he wins his battle with Kenny. He blew it by having Cowardly troll his extension request in public. I really think Ozzie is dumb enough to think that Chicago was going to be upset at the prospect of losing him, and that was how he would win against Kenny.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
Well Kenny has to be held accountable, nice way to man up tho. I think JR is the problem here somewhat. He could save if he spends on development. In the long run you stock up and eventually compete again

To me that is where KW went wrong after 2005. Many (myself included) were excited about the possible improvement in 2006 when the Sox acquired Thome, Vazquez, and Mackowiak. However, in hindsight, the sudden influx of cash may have been better spent on ground up development in the DR, Venezuela, Asia, Cuba, improved scouting dept., etc. They still would have competed at a decent level over the next 2-3 years and the results likely would have been no less disappointing. They could have used the money to improve the stable of talent a la the Braves building on their success in 1991 primarily via player development. KW could have continued to do what he does best with reclamation project FA signings and lower profile trades such as McCarthy for Danks/Masset rather than always going for the big fish. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
To me that is where KW went wrong after 2005. Many (myself included) were excited about the possible improvement in 2006 when the Sox acquired Thome, Vazquez, and Mackowiak. However, in hindsight, the sudden influx of cash may have been better spent on ground up development in the DR, Venezuela, Asia, Cuba, improved scouting dept., etc. They still would have competed at a decent level over the next 2-3 years and the results likely would have been no less disappointing. They could have used the money to improve the stable of talent a la the Braves building on their success in 1991 primarily via player development. KW could have continued to do what he does best with reclamation project FA signings and lower profile trades such as McCarthy for Danks/Masset rather than always going for the big fish. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Spending money in Latin America at that time would have been a waste. See Wilder, Dave. How KW got out of that unscathed is beyond me.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
Could this be true? Thoughts?

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgeL...esox-afterozzie

Article:

CHICAGO (AP)—White Sox general manager Ken Williams says he offered to step aside or take another job in the organization after some of his offseason moves failed to pan out and the team floundered.

Williams made his comments in the dugout the day after manager Ozzie Guillen was released from his contract with one year remaining. Guillen is expected to become the Marlins’ new manager.

Williams says he made the offer to owner Jerry Reinsdorf and would have understood if the White Sox wanted to put someone else in his seat. Chicago will miss the playoffs for a third straight season.

Williams reiterated Tuesday he has a short list of candidates to replace Guillen and already has started to work on finding a successor

KW said as much in a CSN interview. He also mentioned the "as long as I sit in this chair" line about 10,000 times. It sounds so pompous. He was talking like he and Ozzie had some disagreements, but no big deal and he was sad he was gone. I think the truth is halfway between what KW says and Cowley writes.

And the major revelation was he was going to be the Sox GM for the next couple of years at the very least.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
I honestly believe if Ozzie and his cabal keep quiet, he wins his battle with Kenny. He blew it by having Cowardly troll his extension request in public. I really think Ozzie is dumb enough to think that Chicago was going to be upset at the prospect of losing him, and that was how he would win against Kenny.

I don't think Ozzie wins. JR has a history of siding with the GM who built the team (Krause) not the coach (Phil Jackson). I think it his philosophy that it is truly the players you are the most important part of the equation. That's why he keeps coaches and GM's so long. The next most important part is the GM who puts the players together. The least important is the coach of the players. This is why he prefers stability in management.

Edited by ptatc

Well, one thing's for sure, if I was Hahn...I'd probably have a very long conversation with Reinsdorf and ask if the job would essentially be his/when if KW is moved upstairs.

If he's non-commital, I would probably go to the winter meetings with a plan to leave the White Sox, even if it's just a lateral move.

No way he gets the Cubs' job.

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
I don't think he would even take the cubs job. It would be a lateral move. The buzz around ricketts is that he wants a puppet GM.

Hahn loves the Cubs, first of all.

Second, being a puppet to Rickets but a major league GM is 100X being an assistant in limbo during a KW Puppet Regime with the manager (if it's Alomar) part of his "shadow team" of spies who are allegiant to Kenny.

The ONLY reason for Hahn to stay is watching/observing JR and realizing the GM's job is his once KW finally it out of that chair.

Edited by caulfield12

From what I heard, the future GM for the Cubs is likely to have about as much control over his team as an assistant GM in the white sox organization. That remains to be seen, of course. If that is the case, Hahn probably would not want go there, as he wouldn't feel he has a chance to succeed.

He loves the cubs? I didn't know that.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 11:25 PM)
From what I heard, the future GM for the Cubs is likely to have about as much control over his team as an assistant GM in our organization. That remains to be seen, of course. If that is the case, Hahn probably would not want go there, as he wouldn't feel he has a chance to succeed.

He loves the cubs? I didn't know that.

He grew up a Cubs fan.

Now, on the point about the Cubs GM position basically being an Assistant GM job. Would that make the Assistant GM job for the Sox actually an assistant to the Assistant GM job? You know, since JR seems to think he's the GM and KW can only do things that he tells him to do.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
He grew up a Cubs fan.

Now, on the point about the Cubs GM position basically being an Assistant GM job. Would that make the Assistant GM job for the Sox actually an assistant to the Assistant GM job? You know, since JR seems to think he's the GM and KW can only do things that he tells him to do.

No, as I tried to make it clear that it was relative to the white sox organization already.

I don't really know or care though. This is all crap I heard from sports talk radio and I was just playing devil's advocate.