Let the Rebuild Begin

DirtySox

"We're going to pay a lot more attention to what we have in the system, keep what we have in the system, and build upon that so we can get another window of opportunity to win,'' Williams said.

"It has been 11 years of throwing haymakers and trying to get the best most impactful talent out there,'' Williams said of his annual go-for-it approach. "Sometimes there's a price to pay particularly when that doesn't translate into success. So you take it on the chin and keep moving and you might have to modify the way you do business for a couple years.''

"We're going into a little bit of a holding pattern while I find out where we're at,'' Williams said. "It's irresponsible on my part to go into the season neglecting the long-term in favor of the short-term. Now is not that time.''

Sox Seem Resigned to Rebuilding

Kenny pretty blunt about it too with some choice quotes. I for one am looking forward to a rebuild, even though I'm not sure Kenny is the one to be in charge of it. Bring it on.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on not thinking KW is the best for that job, but it is what it is.

They don't have to go into full rebuild to be successful in a few years, but they will have to build up the scouting department and development in the minors, especially when it comes to position prospects. We need to be able to develop consistent hitters from our system, while our pitching has actually been pretty good (though our SP prospects are dreadful currently).

A few big investments in upgrading those areas and spending in the draft with some key trades here and there and the Sox could be a force again in a few years. They have enough talent to trade and build upon that they should be able to cut down the rebuild time significantly.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Agreed on not thinking KW is the best for that job, but it is what it is.

They don't have to go into full rebuild to be successful in a few years, but they will have to build up the scouting department and development in the minors, especially when it comes to position prospects. We need to be able to develop consistent hitters from our system, while our pitching has actually been pretty good (though our SP prospects are dreadful currently).

A few big investments in upgrading those areas and spending in the draft with some key trades here and there and the Sox could be a force again in a few years. They have enough talent to trade and build upon that they should be able to cut down the rebuild time significantly.

Agreed about where money needs to be spent. But the White Sox obviously cannot continue to be dead last in bonus spending if they want to successfully rebuild in a timely manner.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/...itures-2007-11/

^^^ That simply will not do, especially during a rebuild of sorts. It's almost embarassing consdering the resources available to the organization. Hopefully Kenny has or will have a nice talk and persuasive presentation for Jerry on the returns from investing in amateur talent.

Edited by DirtySox

It's time, but goodness the damage that has been done waiting a year is pretty huge.

- Committing $56M to Dunn

- Not dealing Danks, Thornton, Quentin among others when they were at optimal value.

- Wasting a year of Sale's development as a starting pitcher.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
It's time, but goodness the damage that has been done waiting a year is pretty huge.

- Committing $56M to Dunn

- Not dealing Danks, Thornton, Quentin among others when they were at optimal value.

- Wasting a year of Sale's development as a starting pitcher.

It's been needed for much longer than a year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
The lineup I somewhat expect to see:

1. De Aza LF

2. Alexei SS

3. Dunn DH (ugh)

4. Konerko 1B

5. Viciedo RF

6. Flowers C

7.Rios CF

8. Morel 3B

9. Beckham 2B

Pitching

Buehrle

Peavy

Sale

Humber

Axelrod/Stewart

Pen

Ohman

Stewart/Axelrod

Reed

Santiago

Frasor

Santos

Crain

Did we not get any Major League-ready talent in exchange for Danks, Floyd, and Quentin, whom you've presumably traded in this vision you've presented?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Did we not get any Major League-ready talent in exchange for Danks, Floyd, and Quentin, whom you've presumably traded in this vision you've presented?

I seriously doubt we're going to get anything major-league ready for any of those guys given their contract status and performance this year. If you get anything major-league ready, it's a guy who doesn't project to be all that.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)

Yes, but I cant predict who those guys are. If they are mlb ready then some of those guys I mentioned may or may not go to the bench.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
I seriously doubt we're going to get anything major-league ready for any of those guys given their contract status and performance this year. If you get anything major-league ready, it's a guy who doesn't project to be all that.

I think we'll get some pretty damn good players for Danks, Floyd and Quentin

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)

Even if we dont deal all of them, we KNOW for a fact Quentin and Thornton are gone, and most likely at least one of Floyd or Danks. That right there should bring us either projectable prospects or some mlb talent. We just dont know what they are yet.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)

If you want pretty damn good players, you're not getting them MLB ready.

D1 had a terrible, injury-shortened season and is a FA in a year. Quentin had an injury shortened season again and couldn't come back at the end of the year at all, and for all I know as an opposing GM might have plenty of lingering effects next year. Floyd had his worst season since 2007 and has had his ERA slowly getting worse the last 3 years, although he does have 2 years before he's a FA so that counts for something.

I'm not giving up a top 50 prospect for any of them unless that top 50 prospect is 2 years away from my roster. I'm just not.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Oh boy, it's gonna be bad for a while... :(

Possibly. But this was inevitable. It's bittersweet that KW is JUST NOW recognizing the fundamental flaws in his methods of operation. But again, this was coming. I can find some sanctuary in the fact we're not in a division that harbors the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays or Rangers. Those are clearly the four powerhouses in the AL, IMO. I'm not sold on Detroit as a long-term fixture in the division (though they're the clear favorites going into next year). The Twins look awful right now. The Royals have to find some pitching before they can ever be taken seriously. Cleveland might actually be the wildcard. Then again, they're nothing close to elite.