Let the Rebuild Begin

DirtySox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
No, the fact Kenny now realizes you need a farm system... instead of gutting it for the mediocre talent he has brought in over the years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
Mark Buehrle? Joe Crede?

And don't forget the other thing that happens...elements of your great farm system can be traded to fill in other gaps which develop.

His argument, not mine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
Mark Buehrle? Joe Crede?

Funny thing is.. neither one of those guys were top 5 prospects (well... Crede on scouts list) but I remember guys like Kip Wells, Myette, Rauch, Barcelo, Dellaero, Borchard, Hummel (both just drafted during that time) and Garland (didn't quite graduate yet with his 13 starts in 2000) being up there. (some even still liked Christensen) Buehrle and Rowand were very underrated during those days.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
Funny thing is.. neither one of those guys were top 5 prospects (maybe Crede on some guys list) but I remember guys like Kip Wells, Myette, Rauch, Barcelo, Dellaero, Borchard, Hummel (both just drafted during that time) and Garland (didn't quite graduate yet with his 13 starts in 2000) being up there. (some even still liked Christensen) Buehrle and Rowand were very underrated during those days.

NO one knew who Mark Buehrle was when he got here. Crede was a known guy as he was a two time minor league MVP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
NO one knew who Mark Buehrle was when he got here. Crede was a known guy as he was a two time minor league MVP.

Well no s***, he was a 38th round pick. The definition of a diamond in the rough, but he did have the stats. His arsenal however, is what turned scouts away from him and not say.. a Corwin Malone or Lorenzo Barcelo.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
Funny thing is.. neither one of those guys were top 5 prospects (well... Crede on scouts list) but I remember guys like Kip Wells, Myette, Rauch, Barcelo, Dellaero, Borchard, Hummel (both just drafted during that time) and Garland (didn't quite graduate yet with his 13 starts in 2000) being up there. (some even still liked Christensen) Buehrle and Rowand were very underrated during those days.

Addin to my list then...Rauch wound up traded for the guy who was our somewhat less than acceptable but maybe adequate DH in 2005, Borchard was in the 2000 draft so he might not exactly qualify for a 2000 prospect list but his return appears to have been useful anyway, and yeah, Jon Garland wound up being moderately important in 05 as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Addin to my list then...Rauch wound up traded for the guy who was our somewhat less than acceptable but maybe adequate DH in 2005, Borchard was in the 2000 draft so he might not exactly qualify for a 2000 prospect list but his return appears to have been useful anyway, and yeah, Jon Garland wound up being moderately important in 05 as well.

Nope, Kenny was stupid for trading minor leaguers away.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Well no s***, he was a 38th round pick. The definition of a diamond in the rough, but he did have the stats. His arsenal however, is what turned scouts away from him and not say.. a Corwin Malone or Lorenzo Barcelo.

He still had a much better arm then, than he does now. He was a guy who sat around 90, and could push it up to 92-93 when he needed to. That change was still coming around then, and really got perfected under Cooper.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Nope, Kenny was stupid for trading minor leaguers away.

The thing is...this may very well be right when applied to the last 5 years. If we could undo every deal KW had done since 2007 where we gave away a minor leaguer, we'd have lost Quentin yes, but having back Gio + Hudson + the money blown on Peavy would make this org quite a bit stronger going forwards.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
He still had a much better arm then, than he does now. He was a guy who sat around 90, and could push it up to 92-93 when he needed to. That change was still coming around then, and really got perfected under Cooper.

You are correct about his change. His slider as well was getting corrected/fine tuned. The cutter however is what really made him go.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
I think he might if he's anything close to this bad again next year. It'd probably take the entirety of the 2012 season, but I can see it happening.

Agreed. I think it would take the entire year of suckage, but if it was a repeat of 2011 I don't think he'd be up for going through that again in 2013, even though you're talking about giving up 30M or whatever. He also could at that point work out a buyout where the Sox just pay a portion of it and agrees to walk.

Greg will poll 100 Jayhawks fans and they will claim never to have heard of Dunn or Rios but will be conspicuously wearing their brand-new Miami Marlins glow-in-the-dark gear.

After Bill Self and Roy Williams, #3 on their "I'd most like to have a beer with..." list would be Ozzie Guillen, followed by the Reverend Fred Phelps, anyone from the cast of "The Big Bang Theory" and Minka Kelly.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Dunn will not walk away from $28M under any circumstances. Foolish to think so.

If he hits .200 next year with 20 hrs, sure. But if he hits .150 with 10 hrs in 2012, how would you see it playing out? He would just come back and shut his mouth, sit on the bench and pretend he's actually a legitimate baseball player?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Greg will poll 100 Jayhawks fans and they will claim never to have heard of Dunn or Rios but will be conspicuously wearing their brand-new Miami Marlins glow-in-the-dark gear.

After Bill Self and Roy Williams, #3 on their "I'd most like to have a beer with..." list would be Ozzie Guillen, followed by the Reverend Fred Phelps, anyone from the cast of "The Big Bang Theory" and Minka Kelly.

LittleHurt05 approves this post