Wild Card Wednesday!

Brian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
But without Quentin for the final month down the stretch, wouldn't the same scenario have played out in all likelihood?

Bourn put up a .675-ish OPS for them, .320 OBP. They needed 1 extra game. Even if Carlos had gotten hurt, putting Carlos out there for all of August might well have found them that extra win.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 07:36 AM)
:notworthy :notworthy

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY person who immediately thought of this on the game tying home run. I thought of this video when Dan Johnson hit his other home run this season (an infamous shot at The Cell) as well.

I actually came here to post the video after the game only to see Felix already did. That video is forever tied his with him.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 01:38 AM)
I was at the Trop to watch us drop two to the Rays in ALDS, and then was at the crazy extra inning ALCS Game 2 that was one of the best games I have ever attended live.

Post to let me know if you score tix.

I meant I went to game 1 at the trop. Obviously game 3 was at USCF.

I got a congrats email so I'll have the chance to purchase up to 4 tickets tomorrow between 9am-12:59pm to games 3 and 4. I'm thinking I'll get some for game 4.

Did you win? Maybe I can send you the password if youre wanting to get tickets to game 3. They are sending the passwords out in the morning.

The most harrowing collapse, arguably, belonged to the Red Sox. Two championships in the last decade had seemed, at last, to wring the fatalism out of Boston’s fans. Instead of expecting epic failure, they had come to demand championships. The events of Wednesday may have restored the natural order.

The Red Sox, ahead, 3-2, in the ninth inning, had been 77-0 this season when leading through eight innings, and Papelbon struck out the first two Orioles hitters.

Two outs and the bases empty, bottom of the 10th. That was the enviable position the Red Sox had against the Mets in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. One more out would have clinched the title, but three hits immediately followed.

So it was against Papelbon, the third straight hit coming when Robert Andino, who had punctured Papelbon last week with a go-ahead three-run double at Fenway Park, lashed a hit to left, just under the glove of left fielder Carl Crawford, Boston’s $142 million free-agent flop. The Orioles had won a 4-3 thriller, and, perhaps, became the first 93-loss team to end its season with a dog pile in the infield.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been part of something like this,” Crawford said. “It will go down as one of the worst collapses in history.”

There will be playoff baseball for the Rays, who ranked 13th of 14 A.L. teams in attendance and play beneath the slanted roof of a park named for orange juice. In Boston, the Red Sox’ 99-year-old red-brick shrine on Yawkey Way will go dark, thanks largely to catastrophic pitching.

The earned run average of Boston starters in September was a ghastly 7.08. The team went 7-20, unable to win consecutive games all month. They gave nine starts to the unlikely trio of Andrew Miller, a failed top prospect; Tim Wakefield, a 45-year-old knuckleballer; and Kyle Weiland, a rookie wearing No. 70. Not once did those pitchers meet the fairly forgiving minimum standards for a quality start: pitch at least six innings and allow no more than three earned runs.

nytimes.com

Edited by caulfield12