• Dave Martinez
    • Terry Francona
    • Bobby Valentine
    • Ryne Sandberg
    • Joe McEwing
    • Cito Gaston
    • Don Cooper
    • Harold Baines (lol)
    • Other (specify, and it can't be Ozzie)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 02:08 AM)
Oh right, exactly... :unsure:

Honestly, people need to stop equating talented Managers and FO executives with winning a title in the previous three years. That basically means there are only about 10 people in the entire industry that have a clue what they're doing...

And if that were the case, do you really think their current employers would ever let them go?

Its just funny that the Red Sox won a world series and have 1 playoff appearance and a huge September fade since and that's pretty much what we've seen here recently.. and now people want that manager

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)
Its just funny that the Red Sox won a world series and have 1 playoff appearance and a huge September fade since and that's pretty much what we've seen here recently.. and now people want that manager

I wanted to keep our manager, Ozzie Guillen.

But since he's gone, it's a no brainer. Francona is available. GET HIM!

I'd take their regular season record in the Central Division any day.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 02:13 AM)
I wanted to keep our manager, Ozzie Guillen.

But since he's gone, it's a no brainer. Francona is available. GET HIM!

I'd take their regular season record in the Central Division any day.

Except we wouldn't have that regular season record as we don't have the same talent as they do, nor the ability to get that kind of talent with our current financial situation..

LaRussa, Torre, Cox, Francona....forget about it.

It's not even about the money. Those aren't the type of managers you would want to inherit the current morass of confusion and organizational apathy.

A Gibson (probably wouldn't work with KW) or Martinez would be much more interesting. (And as to greg's point, he is literally the "sexy" pick as well as figuratively, as many former Sox wives and groupies would attest...that can't hurt his cause from a marketing standpoint, either).

Alomar Jr. is definitely the safe pick of the moment.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
Oh right, exactly... :unsure:

Honestly, people need to stop equating talented Managers and FO executives with winning a title in the previous three years. That basically means there are only about 10 people in the entire industry that have a clue what they're doing...

And if that were the case, do you really think their current employers would ever let them go?

Great great post.

Post of the season.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
I'd choose Alomar, he's well respected and I use the notion that catchers make great managers (Scioscia and Bochy come to mind)

Well let's not get carried away. I've said it over and over on this board that Scioscia has spoiled me in that aspect, but for every Scioscia, Torre, Bochy, McKeon (maybe Girardi for some people) etc. there's Yost, Melvin, Merrill, Bevington (maybe Hurdle for some people) etc. though better ratio of good catchers turned managers than bad. Sandy is just a very intelligent baseball mind. That is why he is intriguing to me. Not the first on my list (might not even be the second if Francona is available) but he's up there for sure.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 02:10 AM)

I also don't want Francona. Perhaps not for the exact reasons that you don't him, but I don't either.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
1. Tito

2. Martinez

3. Sandy

Considering the fact that La Russa is likely no longer in play, anybody else besides the above 3 would almost guaranteed be a shocking hire. And by shocking, I mean bad.

Seems like the right order to me.

I wonder if Francona would want the Sox job though. Is he buddies with Jerry?

Sox are a few salary dumps away from being a last place team on paper.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
FWIW, Terry Boers just said his source told him there is only one name on the list: Alomar.

No offense to Sandy, but this truly is our return to irrelevance.

Francona would be making a statement.

Sandy? Nice dull man to manage a dead team as it rebuilds and hopes the rebuild isn't Royals or Pirates like.

The idea of hiring a manager who was just behind one of the worst collapses in baseball history with a team 100x more talented than the 2012 White Sox will be doesn't excite me at all...

Wait out Dave Martinez... with Sandy in the back pocket.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
No offense to Sandy, but this truly is our return to irrelevance.

Francona would be making a statement.

Sandy? Nice dull man to manage a dead team as it rebuilds and hopes the rebuild isn't Royals or Pirates like.

Huh, I always assumed a team's relevancy was dependent on you know the PLAYERS, not the manager...