• Dave Martinez
    • Terry Francona
    • Bobby Valentine
    • Ryne Sandberg
    • Joe McEwing
    • Cito Gaston
    • Don Cooper
    • Harold Baines (lol)
    • Other (specify, and it can't be Ozzie)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:11 AM)
The guy is 52. He is YOUNG by baseball standards.

THis would be a great swap; Oz for Tito.

Tito will win 1-2 WS title with the Sox and be a Hall of Famer!

Sox are gonna blow this and it is UNACCEPTABLE

It must suck for the rest of baseball to know that so many World Series are already locked up in the next few years between Guillen and Francona.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 07:11 AM)
It must suck for the rest of baseball to know that so many World Series are already locked up in the next few years between Guillen and Francona.

Roy Halladay's going to be pissed. He might come out and throw a no hitter today or something like that.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
Expect Tito Francona to become a major candidate for the White Sox job in the next few days.

It seems like such a no brainer.

If Sox sign Francona and keep the veterans we think they are going to keep to go with some of our young favorites, the team remains relevant.

Perhaps Tito has some opinions on which of the guys to dump on other teams.

If we sign Alomar, no offense to Sandy, but it's a sign we are going very very cheap and don't care about returning to the WS.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
It seems like such a no brainer.

If Sox sign Francona and keep the veterans we think they are going to keep to go with some of our young favorites, the team remains relevant.

Perhaps Tito has some opinions on which of the guys to dump on other teams.

If we sign Alomar, no offense to Sandy, but it's a sign we are going very very cheap and don't care about returning to the WS.

I don't even think Francona will be available, it really looks like he's going to take a year off. Seems like this past season has taken a good 10 years off his life.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 02:31 AM)
I don't even think Francona will be available, it really looks like he's going to take a year off. Seems like this past season has taken a good 10 years off his life.

He ought to go on a 2 week vacation and see if the Sox will wait.

By the time he takes a couple weeks off he'll be fine.

He's a baseball guy.

LaRussa always wants to come back after taking some time off.

But if the Sox can't wait, maybe you are right.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
Sandberg is going to be a fantastic manager wherever he eventually ends up.

Sandbergs love for the bunt and 'playing the game the right way' would make Ozzie jealous. His approach is very old school. People are blinded by his history, as a player, and hall of fame speech. He has also been very ornery with the media. There are reasons he hasn't gotten a major league job yet. He has been very good at the lower levels, questionable if it will translate.

Sandbergs love for the bunt and 'playing the game the right way' would make Ozzie jealous. His approach is very old school. People are blinded by his history, as a player, and hall of fame speech. He has also been very ornery with the media. There are reasons he hasn't gotten a major league job yet. He has been very good at the lower levels, questionable if it will translate.

I knida see the possibility of Ryno mending fences with the Flubs if they fire Quade once the new GM gets hired.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
What were Martinez's responsibilities?

I posted this on the other sox manager board... just want us sox fans to read it

A lot of people say they don't know much about Dave Martinez, and his actual role as bench coach under Joe Maddon.. I'm one of those people.. But I did find this good article written in May of 2010 that gives a lot more insight into his role on the Rays.. http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/pages/landing?blockID=227299

Personally, I think this is the guy I want to manage the Sox.. He was a good player here for years, and a guy that maximized his talent and relied on his smarts when he played.. Love the Rays makeup; he's a part of it, and has been for a while.. I'd like to see us bring in the fresh guy who's had success ala Tom Thibodeau..

QUOTE (alwaysonthesouthside @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 02:31 AM)
I posted this on the other sox manager board... just want us sox fans to read it

A lot of people say they don't know much about Dave Martinez, and his actual role as bench coach under Joe Maddon.. I'm one of those people.. But I did find this good article written in May of 2010 that gives a lot more insight into his role on the Rays.. http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/pages/landing?blockID=227299

Personally, I think this is the guy I want to manage the Sox.. He was a good player here for years, and a guy that maximized his talent and relied on his smarts when he played.. Love the Rays makeup; he's a part of it, and has been for a while.. I'd like to see us bring in the fresh guy who's had success ala Tom Thibodeau..

sorry, i didnt realize someone posted the exact same article earlier.. i didn't mean to do that

QUOTE (alwaysonthesouthside @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 02:39 AM)
sorry, i didnt realize someone posted the exact same article earlier.. i didn't mean to do that

It's cool, unless you read all the pages in a thread, it's hard to stay up-to-date in "real" time when so many posts are showing up in different threads about similar topics.

QUOTE (alwaysonthesouthside @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 02:31 AM)
I posted this on the other sox manager board...

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)
There's another Sox board?

Apparently it is just for Sox managers. Manuel posts all the time, but he has plenty of free time. Bevington only posts in the "I am drunk" thread and no one can figurre out what the fock Ozzie is posting.

I think signing Dave Martinez would be an awesome thing for our team. Look at what Tampa has done the past 3 out 4 seasons, they have put together one hell of an organization down there. Martinez and Madden obviously know how to get the best out of their young talent. If the Sox want to go younger and all signs indicate thats the direction we are headed, Martinez is the guy. I'll be curious to see how he handles Rios and Dunn next year. Obviously Ozzie's approach didn't work. Perhaps Martinez can light a fire under them?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
I think signing Dave Martinez would be an awesome thing for our team. Look at what Tampa has done the past 3 out 4 seasons, they have put together one hell of an organization down there. Martinez and Madden obviously know how to get the best out of their young talent. If the Sox want to go younger and all signs indicate thats the direction we are headed, Martinez is the guy. I'll be curious to see how he handles Rios and Dunn next year. Obviously Ozzie's approach didn't work. Perhaps Martinez can light a fire under them?

I doubt it.

The players on the Rays are far superior to what's here in Chicago.

Those players don't have those type of motivational issues.

So who knows how Martinez who has never managed would fare in this challenging environment.

He has no track record.

I for one am sick and tired of managers and GMs who come here to cut their teeth.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
I doubt it.

The players on the Rays are far superior to what's here in Chicago.

Those players don't have those type of motivational issues.

So who knows how Martinez who has never managed would fare in this challenging environment.

He has no track record.

I for one am sick and tired of managers and GMs who come here to cur their teeth?

you don't honestly know how the players will respond to someone...anyone... with a fresh attitude instead of playing for the guy they know checked out quite a while back.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
you don't honestly know how the players will respond to someone...anyone... with a fresh attitude instead of playing for the guy they know checked out quite a while back.

no one knows that's the problem...has Martinez demonstrated even as as coach that he posesses the qualities that are needed to succeed as manager?

can we name even one player that attributed their success through Martinez's intervention.

sitting next to the manager on the bench just doesn't do it for me - but i'm not doing the hiring

with that said...anything is better than what just left here

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:02 AM)
can we name even one player that attributed their success through Martinez's intervention.

sitting next to the manager on the bench just doesn't do it for me - but i'm not doing the hiring

If this was the standard...you'd always hire pitching and hitting coaches as a manager, yet you almost never see that happen.