2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

How many missed opportunities does it take for you to be offended that Thomas isn't inducted? I think for me, I start getting a bit pissed off after 3, and I am up in arms after 5.

This is all hypothetical, I am going to be surprised if he's not inducted on the 2nd go around. And if anything, it'd be cool on 3 because he'd be inducted with Griffey.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 02:52 AM)
How many missed opportunities does it take for you to be offended that Thomas isn't inducted? I think for me, I start getting a bit pissed off after 3, and I am up in arms after 5.

This is all hypothetical, I am going to be surprised if he's not inducted on the 2nd go around. And if anything, it'd be cool on 3 because he'd be inducted with Griffey.

If he's not in after 5, the HoF no longer counts.

Wow.

mlbbowman Mark Bowman

by Buster_ESPN

Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa, Joe Torre, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas will all be HOF eligible in 2014.

Buster was on Mike&Mike this morning and said that exact same thing, except for leaving off the last name.

F*ck you, Buster!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 03:52 AM)

I'll be significantly frustrated at 1.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 02:25 AM)
By the way, it's sucks, but Frank has about a 1% chance of being on the 1st ballot. There are STILL old codger f***s who think no one is first ballot ever. Couple that with the DH thing and it's second ballot for sure. Blows, but it's the truth. Even with the steroid thing bumping him up.

Roberto Alomar got 73.7% on his first ballot, second time through 90%. How did his career somehow get 16.3% better in one year? They'll let Maddux and Glavine in. They'll go in as teammates. It'll be a nice story, but it'll be 2015 for the Hurt.

Roberto Alomar's first ballot miss was also judged in part to be a good quantity of voters punishing him for having spat in an umpire's face

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
We're strictly talking defense here. So no, it's not.

As for overall: finishing #1 in UZR, #14 in wOBA (with a couple of utility players included in the 13 players ahead of him) and #4 in WAR at your position has to average out somewhere in the top 10.

Totally agreed. Alexei makes some special plays. The combo of range, arm, and accuracy is something not many match, let alone surpass.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 06:46 PM)
And meanwhile looking at the voting of the sane: Buehrle wins his 3rd consecutive Fielding Bible award by the largest margin of any player over R.A. Dickey and AJ does not receive a single point, unlike his teammates Quentin (2 points) and Pierre (1 point). Morel finished 9th at 3B showing up on 7 of 10 ballots, 21 points, with his highest finish being 6th on Doug Glanville's list. Beckham also finished 9th at 2B with 26 points, 8 of 10 ballots, 2nd on Glanville's list. Alexei finished 8th at SS, 31 points, 7 of 10 ballots, 3rd on Hal Richman's list, 5th on Neyer's. No points for Konerko, Rios or any other Sox pitchers.

Full list of winners:

C Weiters

1B Pujols

2B Pedroia

3B Beltre

SS Tulo

LF Gardner

CF Austin Jackson

RF Upton

P Buehrle

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

Seriously...how far was Beckham behind these guys in the fielding stats?

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)
By the way, it's sucks, but Frank has about a 1% chance of being on the 1st ballot. There are STILL old codger f***s who think no one is first ballot ever. Couple that with the DH thing and it's second ballot for sure. Blows, but it's the truth. Even with the steroid thing bumping him up.

Roberto Alomar got 73.7% on his first ballot, second time through 90%. How did his career somehow get 16.3% better in one year? They'll let Maddux and Glavine in. They'll go in as teammates. It'll be a nice story, but it'll be 2015 for the Hurt.

That is my biggest worry. I don't think there is any doubt that Frank is a first ballot guy IMO. But looking at the people on the ballot with him, that scares me. Taking the whole "first ballot" mentality, and adding to it the whole "exclusivity" argument, (I could see some people only voting for 2-3 guys), plus he wasn't a favorite guy amongst the media, it could be close.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 02:52 AM)

That would be kind of cool, because they were the best hitters of that era.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
That is my biggest worry. I don't think there is any doubt that Frank is a first ballot guy IMO. But looking at the people on the ballot with him, that scares me. Taking the whole "first ballot" mentality, and adding to it the whole "exclusivity" argument, (I could see some people only voting for 2-3 guys), plus he wasn't a favorite guy amongst the media, it could be close.

I think the "Wasn't a favorite by the media" will be balanced out by the "called out the juicers" part.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 02:25 AM)
John Hirschbeck happened.

While my logical (cynical) side says Frank WILL be a 2nd balloter, the Big Hurt fanboy in me disagrees. Dude is 2 f***ing points behind Stan Musial on the All-Time OPS list, that's first ballot quality, right? Was the 20 points he sacrificed for 500 HR really worth it? In the long run, probably but .995 looks f***ing sick in career slash stats.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
Roberto Alomar's first ballot miss was also judged in part to be a good quantity of voters punishing him for having spat in an umpire's face

:nono

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)

So, you're just repeating what I said, eh? ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 07:57 AM)
I think the "Wasn't a favorite by the media" will be balanced out by the "called out the juicers" part.

That fact is significantly overlooked by the national media. It sucks, but it's true.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Right about where he landed in the voting, according to Fielding Runs Saved:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...0&players=0

Yeah, there's a lot of really good defensive 2B out there, finishing behind those 8 guys is hardly an insult. Being a top 10 defensive 2B in today's game is pretty special.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 05:56 AM)

To go ahead and contradict myself, while 2 teammates from one of the best franchises the early 90's getting in is a great story, Two of the best pitchers of the 90's going in with one of the best hitters of the 90's ain't a bad story either.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but is there kind of an unwritten BWAA rule about inducting more than 2 guys at once. I know they've inducted 3 before and probably recently but it seems like 2 is almost always the case, and as dumb as the BWAA is, Maddux is FOR SURE a lock. Everyone else is up for grabs...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
#78 prospect last year, and former 1st RD pick.

Being the #78 prospect last year was completely and utterly unjustified. Like seriously, his numbers just were not good. And this year he had a K/BB of 1. And an ERA over 6.