2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 07:58 AM)
ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien

Just learned that the first cut of movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off was 2 hours and 45 minutes. I want outtakes!

ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien

John Hughes wanted baseball scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off shot at Comiskey Park, not Wrigley, but needed day game.

Christ. You will f***ing repost any tweet, won't you?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
http://www.throughthefencebaseball.com/why...quentin/13851/#

BLOG SPECULATION: Quentin to the Padres? Anyone for us to target in San Diego?

They picked up some real talent in the Adrian Gonzalez deal, getting even one piece of that back could cover it.

Problem is, I have zero idea why the Padres would want Carlos. 1 year from FA, somewhat expensive, not going to put them over the hump this year. Would be a bad move from their side.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
Would you guys do Jake Peavy and RHP Jacob Petricka for AJ Burnett? AJ is good for innings and can be a good pitcher in certain month(s) of the year. The Yankees had drafted Petricka a few years ago if I'm not mistaken, he's a bullpen arm.

Burnett has 2 seasons at $16.5 million a year ($33 million total) remaining on his contract. Peavy has $17 million on his deal next year and a $4 million buyout, for $21 million total.

So, the Sox would be taking on $12 million in that scenario. My answer is clearly no just based on the numbers.

A step further though...if Peavy were to come out and be decent this year, the Sox could potentially save $5 millino or more on top of that by moving him at the deadline and getting the receiving team to pick up a portion of his remaining salary. Thus, the only move the Sox should make involving Peavy is a move which reduces the Sox money exposure, not one that increases it, unless the talent coming back is obscene.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Burnett has 2 seasons at $16.5 million a year ($33 million total) remaining on his contract. Peavy has $17 million on his deal next year and a $4 million buyout, for $21 million total.

So, the Sox would be taking on $12 million in that scenario. My answer is clearly no just based on the numbers.

A step further though...if Peavy were to come out and be decent this year, the Sox could potentially save $5 millino or more on top of that by moving him at the deadline and getting the receiving team to pick up a portion of his remaining salary. Thus, the only move the Sox should make involving Peavy is a move which reduces the Sox money exposure, not one that increases it, unless the talent coming back is obscene.

Yeah, as much as Peavy has disappointed, I'd much rather have him than Burnett.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
Would you guys do Jake Peavy and RHP Jacob Petricka for AJ Burnett? AJ is good for innings and can be a good pitcher in certain month(s) of the year. The Yankees had drafted Petricka a few years ago if I'm not mistaken, he's a bullpen arm.

Absolutely not. As Balta mentioned, that will just add to our payroll, plus we will lose Petricka. Not worth it.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
Absolutely not. As Balta mentioned, that will just add to our, plus we will lose Petricka. Not worth it.

Hmm yeah I thought Peavy was signed up for two more years. Not that I would want him, but I just think maybe a change of places would help both of those guys.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)
Hmm yeah I thought Peavy was signed up for two more years. Not that I would want him, but I just think maybe a change of places would help both of those guys.

Peavy has a $22 million option for 2013 or a $4 million buyout at the end of this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
Peavy has a $22 million option for 2013 or a $4 million buyout at the end of this year.

It's a player option of $22M for 2013? Holy s***. That would be amazing if he felt bad about being injured his whole career with us that he decided to take the buyout and move on. Can't see that being the case.

EDIT: No, it's a club option. Thank god, your wording scared me.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
Peavy has a NTC and I believe he wants nothing to do with the east coast.

If the Sox are wallowing in last place and he's pitching a decent year, I can't imagine why he wouldn't waive that to get a shot at pitching in the playoffs before his next FA year.