2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
Can't we just call him Ozzie Martinez? Isn't that his name?

Anyway, if the Sox are letting Buehrle go AND trading Floyd and Danks, they might as well trade Alexei too and see what they can get. With a bad team coming in 2012, and Martinez, Escobar, and Saladino in the pipeline, Alexei could go and bring back some good prospects.

Mets may need a SS soon.

His baseball reference pages goes with Osvaldo Martinez.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=martin001osv

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Can't we just call him Ozzie Martinez? Isn't that his name?

Anyway, if the Sox are letting Buehrle go AND trading Floyd and Danks, they might as well trade Alexei too and see what they can get. With a bad team coming in 2012, and Martinez, Escobar, and Saladino in the pipeline, Alexei could go and bring back some good prospects.

Mets may need a SS soon.

The Metropolitans aren't really in a position to be looking towards winning this year or trading away kids for veterans.

They also have a guy in their system, Flores, who plays short, at least for now.

The Mets won't be looking for an Alexei type in a trade if it involves them dumping their young pitching or Ike Davis or Duda, which means that the Mets aren't a good candidate. Also, Wilmer Flores isn't a SS, he's likely going to need to move to 3b or the OF, and even then his star is fading quickly as he hasn't yet delivered on his potential.

Nonetheless, if you're going to trade Alexei you might look at a team like the Cards, who stand to lose Furcal, and you set your sights high. Perhaps Alexei and Danks for Carlos Martinez? if you cannot get a monster talent in return you keep Alexei as he's well worth his contract

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
The Metropolitans aren't really in a position to be looking towards winning this year or trading away kids for veterans.

They also have a guy in their system, Flores, who plays short, at least for now.

I was just throwing the Mets out there. It just seems like a Ramirez trade is a possibility if the Sox are giving up on putting together a pitching staff that would compete next year.

My worst fear is that they trade Danks and Floyd, and then the season starts and Dunn, Rios, Beckham, and Peavy are all having good years--but now they don't have a pitching staff good enough to win. It seems to me they either have to go for it with what they have, or blow it up beyond recognition...and that would mean trying to move Quentin, Alexei, Thornton, Konerko and AJ, in addition to Danks and Floyd.

The Winter Meetings next week should be interesting.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
My worst fear is that they trade Danks and Floyd, and then the season starts and Dunn, Rios, Beckham, and Peavy are all having good years--but now they don't have a pitching staff good enough to win.

If this happens...if somehow this happens, you say a couple prayers of thanks and you immediately cut bait and run from Dunn, Peavy, and Rios, and you save as much money as humanly possible. If you can get talent back great, but if the awful contract 3 are playing well enough that they can be moved at a small loss or no loss, get rid of them immediately, and go into next offseason with no bad contracts on the books.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
What a boring off-season league round so far... Hopefully picks up with the winter meetings around the corner...

I was going to post the same. This has been a slow off season aside from the coaching changes.

I thought Kenny would have at least a couple acquisitions by now. I sure hope he at least knows what direction he's going with the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
If this happens...if somehow this happens, you say a couple prayers of thanks and you immediately cut bait and run from Dunn, Peavy, and Rios, and you save as much money as humanly possible. If you can get talent back great, but if the awful contract 3 are playing well enough that they can be moved at a small loss or no loss, get rid of them immediately, and go into next offseason with no bad contracts on the books.

Exactly. He described it as a worst-case scenario, but I was reading it like it would be the best possible outcome.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:41 AM)
May as well aim high and ask for Cole and Taillon in addition to AM.

I'd imagine the original post came from a report that the Pirates have declared that he is not off limits. However, his contract runs til 2015 so they'd be idiots to deal him anytime soon.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
I'd imagine the original post came from a report that the Pirates have declared that he is not off limits. However, his contract runs til 2015 so they'd be idiots to deal him anytime soon.

What report was this? I actually don't check MLB sites as much anymore since 2K5 went Twitter crazy. I just go to DC.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
What report was this? I actually don't check MLB sites as much anymore since 2K5 went Twitter crazy. I just go to DC.

Keith Law of ESPN.com hears that the Pirates don't consider Andrew McCutchen "untouchable."

The Pirates have attempted to discuss a multi-year contract with McCutchen, but the two sides haven't made much progress until this point. It would be foolish to dismiss the possibility of a trade altogether, though they would likely have to be blown away in order to actually deal him. The 25-year-old remains under team control through 2015.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2011 -> 05:32 AM)
I dunno about Stewart in either role.

Basically, to me, Stewart's biggest weakness last year was that his sinker didn't have a whole lot of sink on it. He got a fair number of groundouts but it just didn't look like his ball was as heavy as I'd like it to be. I liked his offspeed stuff, but it was a bit inconsistent.

If he's going to be a bullpen pitcher, basically he needs his first pitch to be a solid pitch, and that's his fastball/sinker. If he's going to be a starter, he needs that first pitch to push a lot of groundouts and also add in some additional offspeed stuff.

I think he needs to work as a starter just to work on that sinker.

You pitch him out of the pen and I see value. His velocity will be in the 95-96 MPH range as opposed to the 91-93 MPH range. A hard heater with that heavy sink would be very effective (nice for DP's, etc). Plus, there would be additional value in the fact that you could use him in a 2 inning or even 3 inning role in a pinch (assuming you ocassionally stretch him out).

As a starter, I don't think he has enough secondary stuff to be anything more than a back-end guy and most likely I think he's one of those back-end guys you can't wait to replace. But I do hope I'm wrong.

The reports on him when we traded for him looked nice, the more I watched him pitch, the more I thought his stuff was mediocre as a starter and the more I wondered what the heck our scouts were seeing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Keith Law of ESPN.com hears that the Pirates don't consider Andrew McCutchen "untouchable."

The Pirates have attempted to discuss a multi-year contract with McCutchen, but the two sides haven't made much progress until this point. It would be foolish to dismiss the possibility of a trade altogether, though they would likely have to be blown away in order to actually deal him. The 25-year-old remains under team control through 2015.

Blah. This has, IMO, less validity than when the Dbacks were "shopping" Justin Upton last year. This is just offseason filler. You might have 3 or 4 teams in baseball that could possibly put together a package worthy of McCutchen. Not saying they wouldn't trade him at some point (which would be really sad), but 2014 would be the earliest you cross that bridge.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Doug Padilla

White Sox replace Ozzie plan for season tix with a "Pick 14 Plan." Went on sale today. Indiv. game tix go on sale in Feb.

For those who were wondering!

I like how they don't call it the "Paul Konerko plan", so they can still trade him.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
With White Sox devoted to idea of trading at least some parts -- Danks, Quentin, Floyd, Thornton -- it's hard to see how Buehrle returns. -- Buster Olney

That is the exact opposite interperetation I would take. If KW can move some parts to clear room, it makes it MORE likely M56 comes back. If they can't move pieces and get some OK value in return, that is when it is LESS likely, in my view.