2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Anyone catch the shot at Peavy in Gonzales' recent Tribune piece discussing the marketing efforts?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1788782.story

Awesome. Oh how I despise you Jake Peavy.

Seems pretty obvious to me that was either referring to ALL the underachievers - Dunn, Rios, Peavy, Beckham... or possibly only the uninjured ones, meaning that group minus Peavy. Either way, I don't see how you can possibly see that as being a knock on Peavy specifically. Given your apparent hatred, I'd suspect it was just wishful thinking.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
Seems pretty obvious to me that was either referring to ALL the underachievers - Dunn, Rios, Peavy, Beckham... or possibly only the uninjured ones, meaning that group minus Peavy. Either way, I don't see how you can possibly see that as being a knock on Peavy specifically. Given your apparent hatred, I'd suspect it was just wishful thinking.

Last off-season Peavy directly stated that if the Sox intended to rebuild, he would prefer to be traded as he went through that in San Diego. Fast forward to this year's winter meetings. An "anonymous" veteran player once again states that if the Sox are going to rebuild, he wants to be traded. AJ, PK, and Thornton have come out and said they want to stay. From there, the list narrows considerably. I'm not the only one with said guess. Jim Margalus has posted such as well.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
Last off-season Peavy directly stated that if the Sox intended to rebuild, he would prefer to be traded as he went through that in San Diego. Fast forward to this year's winter meetings. An "anonymous" veteran player once again states that if the Sox are going to rebuild, he wants to be traded. AJ, PK, and Thornton have come out and said they want to stay. From there, the list narrows considerably. I'm not the only one with said guess. Jim Margalus has posted such as well. It's quite obvious.

FWIW, that rumor came from Jay Cowley, and no one else.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Saito getting 1.75 million on the open market pisses me off even more about Frasor's terrible option being picked up.

I don't think Frasor's option is terrible, it is probably a decent value for his skills. I just think it wasn't the right move for this team this offseason.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
I don't think Frasor's option is terrible, it is probably a decent value for his skills. I just think it wasn't the right move for this team this offseason.

So he's worth two times more than Saito? It was a terrible move by KW, in my opinion. Should have just let him go. Hell, he couldn't even be trusted for the Sox last year after a few weeks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
So he's worth two times more than Saito? It was a terrible move by KW, in my opinion. Should have just let him go. Hell, he couldn't even be trusted for the Sox last year after a few weeks.

I agree he should not have picked up the option, I even said beforehand there was little chance they would. And was wrong. Doesn't make sense to me, as I think the Sox still, even without Frasor, have a fair amount of depth in bullpen arms both in the majors and minors.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Saito getting 1.75 million on the open market pisses me off even more about Frasor's terrible option being picked up.

I wonder more why Saito only got so little? LaTroy got $3, Rauch got $3.5. He's better than both of them. His highest ERA in a season is 2.83. (I realize relief ERA isn't the best statistic, but it's still impressive)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
I wonder more why Saito only got so little? LaTroy got $3, Rauch got $3.5. He's better than both of them. His highest ERA in a season is 2.83. (I realize relief ERA isn't the best statistic, but it's still impressive)

Presumably the fact that he only threw 26 innings last year and didn't pitch much until July has something to do with it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Presumably the fact that he only threw 26 innings last year and didn't pitch much until July has something to do with it.

I guess so, but the injury was a calf/hamstring problem, not any arm issues that could cause concern. He came back in mid July and was lights out. Just surprised that he cost AZ so little.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
His injury history is the big reason he got so little money in general. It makes a comparison with Frasor moot.

What injury history are you referring to outside of his leg problem last year? Seemed pretty healthy in 2009 and 2010 in order to throw over 50 innings.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
What injury history are you referring to outside of his leg problem last year? Seemed pretty healthy in 2009 and 2010 in order to throw over 50 innings.

Besides that he has had shoulder and elbow problems since being in the US, plus he had injury problems in Japan too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
Besides that he has had shoulder and elbow problems since being in the US, plus he had injury problems in Japan too.

And that injury history has resulted in him probably being one of the most underrated players in the last 5-10 years (2.18 ERA during his career).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 10:41 PM)
I guess that makes Carlos Quentin underrated and a bargain too?

I asked before..how many times has he been on the DL the last few years for these arm issues? Oh, and yes, I think Quentin is underrated and some team should really try to get him right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
I asked before..how many times has he been on the DL the last few years for these arm issues? Oh, and yes, I think Quentin is underrated and some team should really try to get him right now.

It looks like at least three times over the last two years, but I can't seem to find somewhere that lists them all.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
I wonder if teams are waiting to see who wins the claim on Yu Darvish before anyone commits to a Danks or Floyd trade. Wishful thinking?

Not at all, and it's one of the reasons I don't understand why people are upset that neither of them has moved already. To maximize return, you have to cater to the market. The best time to move our guys is when they're the best remaining guys on the market.

Interesting "retweet" by Beckham just now....

“@cst_Cowley:Beckham can be a standout player. I just don't know if that can happen with the Sox. He's too in his own head.” @gordonbeckham

1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone

Favorite Retweet Reply

Retweeted by gordonbeckham

I wonder why he would retweet that. Does he think he has some mental issues, or does he think he might need to move to a different team before he can become a standout player? Hmmm....