2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
With deals like this, I am hoping KW trades pretty much everyone on the Sox, to bring some fresh young talent.

Konerko is an amazing player but want to see him traded as well. KW needs to build the Sox for 2014 and beyond.

I can't believe the Sox would get a price anything like this for our guys. Hell, if the Reds thought this was a good move, KW had to be asking for the moon for Danks also

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
I can't believe the Sox would get a price anything like this for our guys. Hell, if the Reds thought this was a good move, KW had to be asking for the moon for Danks also

If Danks would agree to a deal in order to be dealt, just imagine what a team like the Rangers could send back to the Sox for him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...lb&c_id=mlb

Latos is a stud but I also commend the Padres for this move. I'd have loved picking up a guy like Volquez too and putting him with Coop. Those are the types of trades that can help a rebuilding process (where you get numerous chips with potential and if you can be lucky enough to hit on multiple of them, you find yourself in a great position).

One for one deals like the Santos one just don't make much sense, given the complete lack of depth the Sox have. I hope I'm wrong but Kenny is not the right guy to right this ship.

Oh and if we traded Danks for Alonso I'd have been pissed. We wouldn't have gotten all of this for Danks though, Latos is a better talent and cost controlled.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
I would have taken that deal.

Straight up? We'd be getting hosed. Alonso has upside but he has a lot of flaws (I'd flip Gordon for Alonso; Reds probably wouldn't since Gordon has struggled at the major league level, but neither are can't miss talents). Plus the Sox don't currently have any need at 1B. Would be an awful trade. If we got Volquez as well, I'd have considered it. Grandall and Volquez and I'd have been all over it. Although I assume EV is a free agent soon.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
Straight up? We'd be getting hosed. Alonso has upside but he has a lot of flaws (I'd flip Gordon for Alonso; Reds probably wouldn't since Gordon has struggled at the major league level, but neither are can't miss talents). Plus the Sox don't currently have any need at 1B. Would be an awful trade. If we got Volquez as well, I'd have considered it. Grandall and Volquez and I'd have been all over it. Although I assume EV is a free agent soon.

Yeah, that'd be getting close to getting hosed, but Hell, right now I really don't think we're getting better than that, and IMO we already threw in the towel on this season when we gave away Santos for scraps.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
Yeah, that'd be getting close to getting hosed, but Hell, right now I really don't think we're getting better than that, and IMO we already threw in the towel on this season when we gave away Santos for scraps.

Oh please.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
Oh please.

In terms of something that will help us this season, yes. In the long run, he might well be a decent addition, but it's absolutely a step backwards for this year.

How about if I add in Buehrle? can we call it scraps then? So far, we're down 5.0 fWAR on the offseason, and we've added effectively nothing. If Dunn and Rios both gave us very good seasons next year, that would simply offset what we've already lost.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
In terms of something that will help us this season, yes. In the long run, he might well be a decent addition, but it's absolutely a step backwards for this year.

How about if I add in Buehrle? can we call it scraps then? So far, we're down 5.0 fWAR on the offseason, and we've added effectively nothing. If Dunn and Rios both gave us very good seasons next year, that would simply offset what we've already lost.

You adding Buerhrle into this is comical.

Molina is not 'scraps' and KW was looking at what was best for the Sox in the near future, we obviously aren't going to try to really compete this year.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
You adding Buerhrle into this is comical.

Molina is not 'scraps' and KW was looking at what was best for the Sox in the near future, we obviously aren't going to try to really compete this year.

The Sox could have gotten more for Molina. I agree Molina is a solid prospect but when you are in a rebuilding mode, trading a cost controlled above average closer in a one for one deal for a potentail starting pitching prospect is not the best way to rebuild. Trading him for 2 good prospects and one average prospect is how you do it and I have no reason not to believe that the Sox couldn't have done that.

The problem was Kenny fell in love with Molina and decided the 1 for 1 deal was worth it. It might be, but given our lack of depth, I want to see deals that get us multiple quality guys (plus, it isn't like Molina was a sure fire stud). None of this means I don't like Molina, it just means that I think from a value perspective the sox could have done better.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
The Sox could have gotten more for Molina. I agree Molina is a solid prospect but when you are in a rebuilding mode, trading a cost controlled above average closer in a one for one deal for a potentail starting pitching prospect is not the best way to rebuild. Trading him for 2 good prospects and one average prospect is how you do it and I have no reason not to believe that the Sox couldn't have done that.

The problem was Kenny fell in love with Molina and decided the 1 for 1 deal was worth it. It might be, but given our lack of depth, I want to see deals that get us multiple quality guys (plus, it isn't like Molina was a sure fire stud). None of this means I don't like Molina, it just means that I think from a value perspective the sox could have done better.

This I agree with, and said pretty much the exact thing when the trade was announced. But to call Molina "scraps" is just hyperbole.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
But it's not exaggerating to say that we've already thrown the towel in on this season.

Right, because that's what I said.

The Sox are not really trying to compete this year, they will put out a team with some players like Konerko on it and say they are competing but they are a team rebuilding.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Right, because that's what I said.

The Sox are not really trying to compete this year, they will put out a team with some players like Konerko on it and say they are competing but they are a team rebuilding.

Which is why they have zero choice but to trade Danks. Soon.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
I won't. As long as there's a new direction and a long-term plan. If the '12 motto is, "Our guys that sucked last year can't possibly suck as bad this year," yes, I will raise hell.

That is my nightmare for next year. That is a HORRIBLE way to conduct business for any business, but especially competitive sports. But, each passing day it seems like that's the plan Kenny is banking on. (Which makes the Santos trade even more of a scratcher if no more selling is coming)

I've learned from last year, it can get SO MUCH WORSE.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
IMO its smart to have waited... now the Reds just set the market for SP.

The other possibility is that the one team stupid enough to give up serious talent for a starter just made their deal and now they don't need one or have the bullets any more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
The other possibility is that the one team stupid enough to give up serious talent for a starter just made their deal and now they don't need one or have the bullets any more.

Entirely possible however teams that are still in need of pitching will end up desperate when they dwindle down....