2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2525298:date=Dec 19, 2011 -> 10:12 PM:name=DirtySox)-->
QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
<!--quotec-->With the Rangers getting Yu, look for Toronto to go after Gio. Garza is a serious option too as AA likes that he's pitched successfully in the AL East already. It seems to me that the Yankees and Red Sox are the two remaining teams that are most likely to be interested in Danks and or Floyd.

With the Rangers out of the running, we really got to hope we can make a deal with the Yankees. I think they'd be more likely to acquire a guy on a 1 year deal than most teams, simply because they have the resources necessary to resign such a player if they so choose.

It's really not about money, though. If they want Danks badly enough, they'll make a play for him (and more than likely get him) in FA without having to give up any of their prized prospects. And that's only if they can't nab Cole Hamels.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
Kenny has already stated that more salary needs to be moved.

I'm getting the feeling that he is only referring to Thornton.

What are the chances the Sox try to go after Danks after next season? I was thinking about it. Pierzynski is off the books, Peavy's buyout is surely to be picked up. And if Thornton is moved, would that free up enough cash to give Danks a long-term deal with the money he's possible looking for? Obviously the Sox would have to hope their offer matches what other teams are willing to give, but call me crazy for thinking this *could* maybe be an option. There really doesn't seem to be all that much interest in him, and moving him for a less than ideal package seems kind of moot at this point. Everything on twitter seems directed at Gio/Garza.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 12:08 AM)
There is a rumor on Twitter that the Sox target might be Adam Jones.

I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform.

Maybe a Floyd deal??

I don't see the need to target an OF, I'd prefer young SP prospects.

but Viciedo-Jones-Rios would be a pretty nice OF.

Maybe a Floyd deal??

I don't see the need to target an OF, I'd prefer young SP prospects.

but Viciedo-Jones-Rios would be a pretty nice OF.

I believe it will take a lot more than Floyd to get Jones. The deal the writer mentioned was for Floyd, since the O's don't want to give up young pitching.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
It's really not about money, though. If they want Danks badly enough, they'll make a play for him (and more than likely get him) in FA without having to give up any of their prized prospects. And that's only if they can't nab Cole Hamels.

No offense, but you act like the 2012 season is irrelevant to the Yankees. They want to win a championship next year and I'm sure they realize they need to add another starter if they want a decent chance of that. With few attractive options left in free agency, it's very likely they'll have to trade some of their prized prospects to fill that need. Teams like the Yankees very rarely choose to keep their prospects rather than maximize the chance of the major league team winning. If the deals are right, they'll try to win now and worry about their future later. I'm not saying Danks will be the guy they trade for, but if any team is going to take a chance on a rental it would be the Yankees, since they'd at least have the resources to extend him unlike a team like say the Reds.

By the way, your Pokemon-like obsession with prospects is bringing back bad memories of Ron Schueler. All those prospects he refused to trade that could have been used to help the major league team. What a f***ing shame. I doubt Brian Cashman would be so foolish.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:38 PM)
I hate the idea of trying only to be the least bad team in the division. It's how we've been operating for a while and it isn't working.

I find this statement laughable. As bad as the results have been of late, we've usually been one of the best team on paper prior to the start of each season with a decent chance of winning the division. For f***'s sake, KW has practically crippled our future by completely focusing on winning now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
Who are these young players? Morel, Beckham and Viciedo...and that's it, in my mind.

I include Flowers and Rameirez in that as well. I guess Rameierez isn't real young but he's playing at his peak and under control for a few years at a reasonable cost.

I base most of my comment on the fact that we know KW doesn't trade for a package that a team offers. He trades for a player or players he has targeted. So, he doesn't misjudge a market because he only goes after certain targeted players usually starting pitchers.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 06:33 AM)
I find this statement laughable. As bad as the results have been of late, we've usually been one of the best team on paper prior to the start of each season with a decent chance of winning the division. For f***'s sake, KW has practically crippled our future by completely focusing on winning now.

That was my point. We mortgage our future to try to do just enough to win a division, based mostly on the idea that we believe the rest of the teams aren't good enough to win it (not the idea that we are an actual force to be reckoned with in the playoffs).

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
Adam Jones is a much better player than anyone the Sox have.. DeAza to me is a 4th OF.

Jones is already a 2nd year arb-eligible player, which means we'd be paying him $5-$6 million this season, and he regualrly puts up an OPS in the high 700's. Personally I think De Aza will give similar OPS numbers over a full season, but even if De Aza was in the low .700's, he's cheap, under team control for a lot longer, and it takes 0 talent to acquire him.

Play the guy we already have.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Adam Jones is a much better player than anyone the Sox have.. DeAza to me is a 4th OF.

De Aza almost had more fWAR than Jones in about 1/4 of the PAs last season.

Adam Jones is nothing special.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
how many more PA does Beckham get before we can say he is what he is?

At least 600 more (ish, unless he gets hurt). He's still pre-arb, there's no reason to do anything with him just yet. Next year is his first arbitration year, which will mean a bump up in salary...that's when you start to question whether he's earning the money.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
So is Frasor going to end up getting paid more than any other non-closer reliever signed this offseason? Peralta just signed for like 2.2 million.

Dotel got 1/$3.5M with $4M guaranteed while Frasor gets $3.75M. So there's your one.

Also: Peralta was not a free agent, he and the Rays avoided arbitration today by agreeing on a 1 year deal. He was 38 service days away from free agency, only qualified for arbitration this year.