2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7365950/...-season-edition

Strange but truest player of the year

Did Adam Dunn's season really happen -- I mean, in real life? I've seen the numbers, printed on actual paper, so apparently it did. But really, friends, it ought to be impossible to do all this:

• On his road to hitting a mind-rattling .159, this guy had more trips to the plate when he DIDN'T put a ball in play (256) than trips when he did (240).

[+] EnlargeAdam Dunn

Eric P. Mull/US PresswireAdam Dunn batted .159 and struck out 177 times in 415 at-bats in 2011.

• He had 52 multi-strikeout games but only 12 multi-hit games. Seriously.

• He got six hits all season -- six -- against left-handed pitchers (in 94 at-bats). Just for comparison's sake, Adrian Gonzalez (who also bats left-handed, last time we looked) got six hits off left-handed pitchers in one SERIES (June 20-22 against the Cubs).

• Other than May, when the Dunner hit a not exactly Ty Cobb-esque .204, he never had a batting average higher than .160 IN ANY MONTH.

• You realize that Dunn went into this season with a higher career slugging percentage (.521) than Gonzalez, Paul Konerko and Troy Tulowitzki (among billions of others), right? You can look that up. He then went out and slugged an incomprehensible .277. That was 50 points worse than Juan Pierre, 63 behind Willie Bloomquist, 69 back of Aaron Miles and 82 lower than Elvis Andrus. You can look that up, too.

• This man had 111 more strikeouts (177) than hits (66). So how many other American Leaguers in history have had 100 more whiffs than hits in a season? That would be nada, obviously.

• And one more thing: If you ignore little technicalities like decimal points, Dunn's batting average (.159) was lower than his strikeout total (177). Other than Mark Reynolds, who pulled that off in 2010, no position player has ever done that in a season where he got more than 40 -- yes, 40 -- plate appearances. And with good reason!

I'm sure this has been touched on many a times before but...How much out of shape was Adam Dunn last year? I remember reports saying he was, but I dont remember how much. Also any early reports on if hes actually getting himself into shape? The fact that Robin wants to play him in the field more should make him work on that a lot. If Dunn is any kind of threat next year which is very very possible if he comes in in shape then that 12-1 odds makes some sense. We've had the same problem 2 years in a row by not having a DH worth a damn, lets hope the big donkey changes that and puts up even a .220/25/70/.330 line.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
I'm sure this has been touched on many a times before but...How much out of shape was Adam Dunn last year? I remember reports saying he was, but I dont remember how much. Also any early reports on if hes actually getting himself into shape? The fact that Robin wants to play him in the field more should make him work on that a lot. If Dunn is any kind of threat next year which is very very possible if he comes in in shape then that 12-1 odds makes some sense. We've had the same problem 2 years in a row by not having a DH worth a damn, lets hope the big donkey changes that and puts up even a .220/25/70/.330 line.

It's been reported that Adam Dunn has been working out this offseason.

Also, you might want to peak at the Adam Dunn thread below, fwiw.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
It's been reported that Adam Dunn has been working out this offseason.

Also, you might want to peak at the Adam Dunn thread below, fwiw.

I went straight here assuming there was no Dunn thread.

My question was how much out of shape was he in regards to past years?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)

No one really knows, I remember people saying he's looked much 'bigger' with the Sox, others saying he looked exactly the same as Washington.

What we do know is that Adam Dunn does not work out or 'pick up a bat' until Spring Training. Apparently this has changed this year.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
No one really knows, I remember people saying he's looked much 'bigger' with the Sox, others saying he looked exactly the same as Washington.

What we do know is that Adam Dunn does not work out or 'pick up a bat' until Spring Training. Apparently this has changed this year.

I don't believe Dunn ever said he didn't work out in the offseason, just that he didn't swing a bat.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)

I don't know, but I'm sure he'll be in the best shape of his life come March.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
A's trade Gio to Nats for 4 prospects. Same guy that KW gave away. Way to go, Kenny.

True or False, Gio's value is higher now than it was 3-4 years ago when he was traded to Oakland?

Yeah, it sucks, but it's not like Gio was a top prospect everyone wanted, he just happen to develop in to a stud, and that could be thanks to Oakland's farm directors and coaches. No one can say Gio would have progressed that well in our system.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
True or False, Gio's value is higher now than it was 3-4 years ago when he was traded to Oakland?

Yeah, it sucks, but it's not like Gio was a top prospect everyone wanted, he just happen to develop in to a stud, and that could be thanks to Oakland's farm directors and coaches. No one can say Gio would have progressed that well in our system.

Yeah, the Dan Hudson excuse. Nobody can say for sure he would've developed into a #2 starter with the White Sox.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
Yeah, the Dan Hudson excuse. Nobody can say for sure he would've developed into a #2 starter with the White Sox.

Dan Hudson was actually in the pros when we traded him.....Gio just repeated AA. Those are not the same things.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
If the report out of the Baltimore Sun is to be believed (which I saw on mlbtraderumors.com), then the O's certainly value Adam Jones more than some on this board. Supposedly the Braves offered Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado and a prospect for Jones, and the O's didn't bite. That's like us offering Floyd, Quentin and a prospect. I think Jones is good, but not good enough to turn down that offer.

Jurrjens has some major health concerns.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
Dan Hudson was actually in the pros when we traded him.....Gio just repeated AA. Those are not the same things.

I would love to review Gio's last two minor league season stats....Anybody here know how to get that?

Even after signing John Danks to a contract extension this week, the White Sox remain open to trading fellow starting pitcher Gavin Floyd, according to sources.

The White Sox surprised people in baseball (even some in their own organization) with the Danks signing, because they spent the first part of the winter including both Danks and Floyd in trade discussions. The Danks signing had people wondering if the White Sox are still "rebuilding," as general manager Ken Williams said after trading closer Sergio Santos at the Winter Meetings.

The belief now is that Williams will consider offers for Floyd and others, but that he will also continue to maintain a high price tag, as he has all winter. While Williams appears to be open to dealing Floyd, he also seems open to keeping him. Floyd is signed through 2012, but his contract carries an affordable $9.5 million option for 2013.

The trade market for starting pitchers has started to move, with both Mat Latos and Gio Gonzalez dealt within the last week. Many teams remain interested in adding pitching, and by waiting, Williams may find himself with the best available pitcher later in the winter.

Floyd, who turns 29 in January, is more than two years older than Danks. Like Danks, Floyd has averaged nearly 200 innings a season since earning a regular spot in the White Sox rotation.

http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/m...590096/34008639

The trade market for starting pitchers has started to move, with both Mat Latos and Gio Gonzalez dealt within the last week. Many teams remain interested in adding pitching, and by waiting, Williams may find himself with the best available pitcher later in the winter.

Kenny? Waiting?

Man, oh man, if he's learned a little patience ... if he won't be the impatient "must acquire target ... ugh ... must make deal" GM that many other GMs seem to toy with ... if he now understands to use leverage, create his market, and play his chips (rather than to BE played) ... then his smarts and aggressiveness might start benefiting the Sox in the kind of sustained and long-term way that many of us had been actively hoping for.

4-6 weeks from now, one Gavin Floyd just MIGHT be the last best pitcher standing for increasingly desperate pitching starved contenders. And if the suitors aren't willing to pay a LOT, then if the Sox are out of it come trading deadline, and IF Gavin continues to be Gavin, then a team in win-NOW mode would have to consider paying what it takes to get a pitcher of that quality/durability, ESPECIALLY when they can spin to their fans that they're paying to get someone who can help them get over the top this year, but who is also under cost-effective control for an additional year. A quality SP who isn't just a rental has the chance to bring back a LOT at the trading deadline. But we have no other reason that we HAVE TO "give him away" NOW, that is unless someone is inclined to believe that tired chestnut of "must move salary."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
Except he already made the over anxious, must-have this guy deal this offseason when he dealt Sergio.

Hey Balta ...

100% agreed. That was the classic Kenny-move that we all seem to know, that every GM in baseball must know, and that some will defend as "oh, that's just how Kenny is." Yeah, and it sucks. And it hasn't been working all that well. And it means he isn't doing up-until-the-last-minute due diligence by seeking to maximize his trading chips.

DISLIKED the over-anxious Santos deal not because I loved Santos, nor because I knew a darned thing about Molina (other than what the very mixed after-the-fact scouting reports disclosed), but because it gave every appearance of being same old "swing-for-the-fences, take the high-risk (the unnecessarily high-risk)" Kenny.

My point about being elated if Kenny has now learned some patience was referring to POST-Santos trade. Maybe HIS boss took up back to the woodshed and set him straight. Maybe some trusted elder statesman like Buddy Bell had him look at himself in the mirror. If he had changed it could certainly happen AFTER yet another Kenny moment (that he finally realized WAS a Kenny moment).

And, just to be fair, I do always reserve the thought that internally they may know things about Sergio that we don't (perhaps, maxed-out and all down-hill-from-here) and things about Molina that we don't too (despite what some of the naysayers claiming, this guy absolutely being the real enough deal that we must get him).

Bottom-line for me is that no one on our roster is going to bring us a Cahill, Latos, or Gio type return, but of any of them, Gavin (or Alexei -- but I don't trade him because I smell the Ramirez-Tank-Cespedes era on the horizon) is the one that if played correctly COULD bring back a relatively decent haul.

So, GO KENNY!

Edited by CyAcosta41