2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
How is having David DeJesus on your roster rebuilding?

We picked up a player who'll be better and cost us virtually nothing in Alejandro DeAza.

Having David Dejesus doesn't effect rebuilding one way or another. He's a warm body that fills a need and is signed at a reasonable rate. Every team has players like that. If he rebounds into something valuable, the Cubs have an asset to flip. If he remains as it, so be it. Nothing more, nothing less.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
How is having David DeJesus on your roster rebuilding?

We picked up a player who'll be better and cost us virtually nothing in Alejandro DeAza.

Are you serious? Classic rebuidling move. All his peripherals suggest DeJesus had a year that was (1) unlucky, and (2) negatively affected by his ballpark. Cubs sign him on a short term deal at an extremely low rate, and now they will benefit not only by having a cheap way to win them a couple extra games for their fans while they rebuild, but also a potentially valuable trade chip at the deadline.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
Are you serious? Classic rebuidling move. All his peripherals suggest DeJesus had a year that was (1) unlucky, and (2) negatively affected by his ballpark. Cubs sign him on a short term deal at an extremely low rate, and now they will benefit not only by having a cheap way to win them a couple extra games for their fans while they rebuild, but also a potentially valuable trade chip at the deadline.

That's what some team says to themselves when they sign CoCo Crisp every offseason, or one of those Hairstons.

Guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Somehow Danks and Quentin had/have very little value to most of baseball, but David DeJesus suddenly does in a similar contract situation?

Nick Swisher should have had a monster season in our ballpark, same with Dunn or even Rios...none of those things have materialized. The mind plays tricks on you in those stadiums, a couple of wind-blown homers later and you're trying to jack everything, and that's definitely not DeJesus' game. He's more like a poor man's Johnny Damon, which isn't saying much at this point in his career.

I could just imagine Williams signing him to the same contract and putting DeAza on the bench, everyone at SoxTalk would be crying about it for the entire season...almost as if we had brought back Juan Pierre on a two-year contract extension.

We also thought Mark Teahen would be benefitted from playing at USCF, not so much.

Look at how much Quentin and Beckham have struggled some of these years (at USCF), their splits, home vs away from 2010 and 2011.

It's not like the Cubs were able to "leverage" anything out of Carlos Pena, or all those veterans the Royals have signed for the past 20 years have ever turned into very much of substantive value at the trading deadline, either.

Dejesus has been a 3-win player six of the past seven seasons (bWAR). For the next two years, he's being payed like a 1-win player. It's a solid move by the Cubs, no matter what you call the process they are going through. Dejesus' new contract situation is not similar to Danks or Quentin.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 02:52 AM)
•One scout guaranteed to ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark that at least five teams will claim Mets outfielder Fernando Martinez, who is now on waivers (Twitter link).

INTEREST?

We already went there with Lastings Milledge.

He's 23, so there's really nothing to lose.

Remember when we were talking Buehrle for F-Mart? Is this the same Mets' F-Mart? It was the summer before he signed that last deal with us. We were talking about Seattle's 2 OFs, Balentien and was it Adam Jones? There was also Red Sox talk with I think Lowrie or Bucholz coming here. Who else were we looking at?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Remember when we were talking Buehrle for F-Mart? Is this the same Mets' F-Mart? It was the summer before he signed that last deal with us. We were talking about Seattle's 2 OFs, Balentien and was it Adam Jones? There was also Red Sox talk with I think Lowrie or Bucholz coming here. Who else were we looking at?

Yes, this guy was a Mets top prospect OF who busted. He was more highly regarded than Milledge, and for about 2 years people were dying to get their hands on some of these Mets prospects like Pelfrey, Milledge, or Martinez.

Let the open bullpen competition begin.

Last couple of ST's with Ozzie were so boring and non-productive.

For once, can we play well and take winning a bit more seriously so that we "hit the ground" running right out of the gate?

(I know, I know, if Pierre/Thornton don't conspire to blow Game 8, the entire season would have ended up differently...don't blame OZZIE!!!)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
Let the open bullpen competition begin.

Last couple of ST's with Ozzie were so boring and non-productive.

For once, can we play well and take winning a bit more seriously so that we "hit the ground" running right out of the gate?

(I know, I know, if Pierre/Thornton don't conspire to blow Game 8, the entire season would have ended up differently...don't blame OZZIE!!!)

That game was definitely a conspiracy to make Ozzie look bad and begin pushing him towards Miami. Pierre and Thornton were seen talking to each other the day before where it was reported Pierre said the words "ball" and "drop". Although no one could confirm the two words were uttered in the same sentence or even within the same few minutes, there's no doubt that it was the beginning of the end for Ozzie. The former manager was reportedly so upset by the happenings that he quit several months later and went to Miami.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
That game was definitely a conspiracy to make Ozzie look bad and begin pushing him towards Miami. Pierre and Thornton were seen talking to each other the day before where it was reported Pierre said the words "ball" and "drop". Although no one could confirm the two words were uttered in the same sentence or even within the same few minutes, there's no doubt that it was the beginning of the end for Ozzie. The former manager was reportedly so upset by the happenings that he quit several months later and went to Miami.

Darn you, Pennington!!!

I think that was the game...A's?

There were too many in that 4-18 stretch to count.

At any rate, WHY WHY WHY haven't the Marlins signed Juan Pierre yet? What gives? Rowand was bad enough, but...just saying.

I am waiting for the "Rowand Watch" when his career is rejuvenated and he single-handedly wins the NL East with his mythical "staring death in the face and not blinking" defensive abilities.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
Darn you, Pennington!!!

At any rate, WHY WHY WHY haven't the Marlins signed Juan Pierre yet? What gives? Rowand was bad enough, but...just saying.

I am waiting for the "Rowand Watch" when his career is rejuvenated and he single-handedly wins the NL East with his mythical "staring death in the face and not blinking" defensive abilities.

As Rowand is lying twitching on the field after crashing head-first into the wall, Ozzie will be saying, "I like this kid. He always try his best."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
Darn you, Pennington!!!

Ozzie has Bonifacio down there (wasns't too bad last year) that is a very similar player to Pierre, just a lot more versatile. But Pierre should be destined to be with Ozzie again.

Edited by chw42