2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MEANS @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
exactly, and why not give Danks a shot against his former club? He loves a challenge.

Totally... Danks it up.

If it where me - the rotation would look like this:

1.) Danks

2.) Floyd

3.) Sale

4.) Humber

5.) Peavy

Maybe switching Sale and Humber.

Will be interesting to see :)

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Totally... Danks it up.

If it where me - the rotation would look like this:

1.) Danks

2.) Floyd

3.) Sale

4.) Humber

5.) Peavy

Maybe switching Sale and Humber.

Will be interesting to see :)

In thinking long term, it'd be really nice to put Floyd somewhere in-between the last 3, because Danks and Floyd are the 2 guys you expect can take the innings, while the other 3 you don't know. If Sale has a 4.1 inning outing, you don't want to have Humber and Peavy going the next 2 days right now.

I'd go with Danks #2 so he gets the home opener. It really doesn't matter with this staff.

I'd also go with Sale #4. Look at the schedule, and count 1-2-3-4-5, and you'll see the #4 starter is the spot they can skip a few times in the first half. I'd rather they skip Sale's spot in the first half a few times rather than shut him down in September.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
I'd rather they skip Sale's spot in the first half a few times rather than shut him down in September.

Unless there is a pre-decided, Strasbourgian innings limit for Sale (And so far they haven't said there would be), I think they'll push him until he actaully looks tired.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
ESPN Chicago ‏ @ESPNChiSox

Spoke w/pitcher Dylan Axelrod this AM. Looking forward to proving himself for a bullpen opening. Worked a lot on changeup during offseason.

I still think he is a better starter in the future than Stewart, so I am hoping he is in AAA starting.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm probably alone, but if Peavy wants to talk about being a leader and making 30 starts, truck him out there opening day and let him set the tone. We don't really have a true #1 anyway and you are only a #1 starters once maybe twice during the year.

Even Jake says J Danks is the opening day starter. If Peavy is the #3 guy he may be in line for that ESPN Sunday night game start

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
JJ Stankevitz ‏ @JJStankevitz

Brooks Boyer expects Big Hurt Beer to be sold at Sox games this year. So there's that.

There's going to be some drunkass Sox fans up in the Cell this year. That s*** packs a punch.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 04:41 AM)
I'm probably alone, but if Peavy wants to talk about being a leader and making 30 starts, truck him out there opening day and let him set the tone. We don't really have a true #1 anyway and you are only a #1 starters once maybe twice during the year.

I'm totally with you. If I was the manager, I'm giving Peavy the OD start, no doubt about it. We brought him in to be an ace. Send him out there to be an ace. It'd show him the team and organization still had confidence in him.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
I'm totally with you. If I was the manager, I'm giving Peavy the OD start, no doubt about it. We brought him in to be an ace. Send him out there to be an ace. It'd show him the team and organization still had confidence in him.

He wants me to have confidence in him? He can go win some bleeping ballgames. He's been paid enough money to do so.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Not sure if this has been posted but the gentleman over at Beyond the Boxscore tout Morel as a breakout star this year after he placed #7 on HR/FB rates. The previous years have seen top 10 nobodies like Bautista and Zobrist explode after placing on this list.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2012/2/23...t-jose-bautista

Morel sucks.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Morel sucks.

I wouldn't go that far - yet. Morel's September was enough to at least cling to hope that he could possibly become a passable everyday 3B. This isn't like Brian Anderson. He showed nothing, ever.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Nokona @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Not sure if this has been posted but the gentleman over at Beyond the Boxscore tout Morel as a breakout star this year after he placed #7 on HR/FB rates. The previous years have seen top 10 nobodies like Bautista and Zobrist explode after placing on this list.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2012/2/23...t-jose-bautista

This is a great example of why you can't lose track of the eye test.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 05:42 AM)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
I wouldn't go that far - yet. Morel's September was enough to at least cling to hope that he could possibly become a passable everyday 3B. This isn't like Brian Anderson. He showed nothing, ever.

1.) I kind of agree. Now that Mark is gone, why not give Peavy the ball? What if he throws a Verlander-type gem?

2.) Morel is such a good fielder. If he could hit .280 with 22 home runs we'd have something for the next 15 years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
1.) I kind of agree. Now that Mark is gone, why not give Peavy the ball? What if he throws a Verlander-type gem?

2.) Morel is such a good fielder. If he could hit .280 with 22 home runs we'd have something for the next 15 years.

That would be a great season for a lot of players. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'd be fine with a .275 avg with moderate power (15 HRs or so). With his very good defense, a decent offensive year would bode quite well for the Sox.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 06:05 AM)
That would be a great season for a lot of players. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'd be fine with a .275 avg with moderate power (15 HRs or so). With his very good defense, a decent offensive year would bode quite well for the Sox.

Now we are talking about Brent Morel. Could he get into the low 20's? Sure. Odds are, the .275 15HR, Good defensive 3B is who we are talking about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
Now we are talking about Brent Morel. Could he get into the low 20's? Sure. Odds are, the .275 15HR, Good defensive 3B is who we are talking about.

I think I was among the biggest critics of Morel's cautious/never "turn and burn" approach at the plate for the majority of the year in 2011, but that was a completely different animal out there in September. If we see more of that in 2012 it would be a really nice surprise as I don't think anyone is considering him to do much this year. He's easily the least talked about/forgotten position player on this White Sox ballclub.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)

Which is just fine. 3B production was down all across baseball last season.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1854319.story

Dunn story...which it was this simple, but it's probably not.

As far Morel...he needs to put up at least a 700 OPS, 725 would be gravy and 675 at the bottom end of the acceptable range with the power falloff at that position over the last 2-3 years. Walks, plate discipline will be a big factor. He probably won't put up Crede's 20-25 homers per season, but he can't replicate the low walk rate and still be effective unless he's getting a lot more doubles than last year.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)
I think I was among the biggest critics of Morel's cautious/never "turn and burn" approach at the plate for the majority of the year in 2011, but that was a completely different animal out there in September. If we see more of that in 2012 it would be a really nice surprise as I don't think anyone is considering him to do much this year. He's easily the least talked about/forgotten position player on this White Sox ballclub.

Don't make the mistake of taking September and trying to project it for an entire year.