2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
How? I'm guessing that the required waiting period is shorter for managers, but still how the hell would La Russa be eligible when both Cox and Torre last managed in 2010?

Either way, this does not bode well for Frank's chances of getting inducted on the first ballot (Maddux and Glavine being media darlings and all of those legendary managers).

If Frank Thomas is not a first ballot Hall of Famer, then they should just shut the freaking place down.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
If Frank Thomas is not a first ballot Hall of Famer, then they should just shut the freaking place down.

The guy never got the national recognition that he deserved. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's not a first ballot guy. In fact, I half expect that to happen.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
So . . . Terry Boers in reply to hitting coach being the second toughest job in baseball said something like all they do is get drunk on planes and fight announcers. :o

sounds like Orlando Cabrera

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Must've been a really down year defensively for catchers. But Wieters will win this. Otherwise I will severely punish myself by watching hockey.

No J4L, you know the real answer...no one voting for these actually knows anything about defense.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
Were you alive in the mid-90s?

He'll get 1st ballot, no question, btw.

Ugh, I knew someone would say that. I don't know why I leave these holes when I know they're there. Thomas was a complete afterthought in baseball for the vast majority of the last 10 years of his career (undeservedly). He definitely should be a first ballot guy, but the writers have a tendency to f*** these things up by voting against guys they dislike, voting for guys that are less deserving because they were media friendly, and only voting in a certain number of guys a year. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone if he has to wait a year or two.

Don't confuse this with me saying that it's OK. But we should all understand that it's a very real possibility.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
Ugh, I knew someone would say that. I don't know why I leave these holes when I know they're there. Thomas was a complete afterthought in baseball for the vast majority of the last 10 years of his career (undeservedly). He definitely should be a first ballot guy, but the writers have a tendency to f*** these things up by voting against guys they dislike, voting for guys that are less deserving because they were media friendly, and only voting in a certain number of guys a year. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone if he has to wait a year or two.

Don't confuse this with me saying that it's OK. But we should all understand that it's a very real possibility.

And the bigger the outcry, the more likely it's fixed by ballot 2.

Per Rogers:

Jerry Reinsdorf hasn’t yet talked to Tony La Russa about joining the White Sox front office, but confirmed his interest to the Tribune.

Asked if he would like to work again with La Russa, Reinsdorf had a quick answer.

“I would love to,’’ he said in a telephone interview.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Buehrle and Pierzynski are AL Gold Glove Award nominees, according to ESPN release.

And meanwhile looking at the voting of the sane: Buehrle wins his 3rd consecutive Fielding Bible award by the largest margin of any player over R.A. Dickey and AJ does not receive a single point, unlike his teammates Quentin (2 points) and Pierre (1 point). Morel finished 9th at 3B showing up on 7 of 10 ballots, 21 points, with his highest finish being 6th on Doug Glanville's list. Beckham also finished 9th at 2B with 26 points, 8 of 10 ballots, 2nd on Glanville's list. Alexei finished 8th at SS, 31 points, 7 of 10 ballots, 3rd on Hal Richman's list, 5th on Neyer's. No points for Konerko, Rios or any other Sox pitchers.

Full list of winners:

C Weiters

1B Pujols

2B Pedroia

3B Beltre

SS Tulo

LF Gardner

CF Austin Jackson

RF Upton

P Buehrle

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
And meanwhile looking at the voting of the sane: Buehrle wins his 3rd consecutive Fielding Bible award by the largest margin of any player over R.A. Dickey and AJ does not receive a single point, unlike his teammates Quentin (2 points) and Pierre (1 point). Morel finished 9th at 3B showing up on 7 of 10 ballots, 21 points, with his highest finish being 6th on Doug Glanville's list. Beckham also finished 9th at 2B with 26 points, 8 of 10 ballots, 2nd on Glanville's list. Alexei finished 8th at SS, 31 points, 7 of 10 ballots, 3rd on Hal Richman's list, 5th on Neyer's. No points for Konerko, Rios or any other Sox pitchers.

Full list of winners:

C Weiters

1B Pujols

2B Pedroia

3B Beltre

SS Tulo

LF Gardner

CF Austin Jackson

RF Upton

P Buehrle

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

How the hell did Alexei finish 8th when he had a +11 UZR (1st in baseball) and a +7 DRS (10th in baseball)?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
I think that is a fair assessment.

We're strictly talking defense here. So no, it's not.

As for overall: finishing #1 in UZR, #14 in wOBA (with a couple of utility players included in the 13 players ahead of him) and #4 in WAR at your position has to average out somewhere in the top 10.

By the way, it's sucks, but Frank has about a 1% chance of being on the 1st ballot. There are STILL old codger f***s who think no one is first ballot ever. Couple that with the DH thing and it's second ballot for sure. Blows, but it's the truth. Even with the steroid thing bumping him up.

Roberto Alomar got 73.7% on his first ballot, second time through 90%. How did his career somehow get 16.3% better in one year? They'll let Maddux and Glavine in. They'll go in as teammates. It'll be a nice story, but it'll be 2015 for the Hurt.

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)
By the way, it's sucks, but Frank has about a 1% chance of being on the 1st ballot. There are STILL old codger f***s who think no one is first ballot ever. Couple that with the DH thing and it's second ballot for sure. Blows, but it's the truth. Even with the steroid thing bumping him up.

Roberto Alomar got 73.7% on his first ballot, second time through 90%. How did his career somehow get 16.3% better in one year? They'll let Maddux and Glavine in. They'll go in as teammates. It'll be a nice story, but it'll be 2015 for the Hurt.

John Hirschbeck happened.

While my logical (cynical) side says Frank WILL be a 2nd balloter, the Big Hurt fanboy in me disagrees. Dude is 2 f***ing points behind Stan Musial on the All-Time OPS list, that's first ballot quality, right? Was the 20 points he sacrificed for 500 HR really worth it? In the long run, probably but .995 looks f***ing sick in career slash stats.