2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:05 AM)
Not in USCF.

Remember, the Mariners already tried this model and it failed miserably because of the lack of offense.

Viciedo, without Quentin in the line-up and with Konerko due for a down season, simply has to be in the everyday line-up.

The MAIN reason we failed this year was offense...with the exception of Pierre (who was supposed to give us at least decent defense).

Wait, what? Juan Pierre was definitely part of the reason this offense failed (he has no real talent). PK is the only regular that can look himself in the mirror and not be ashamed.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in USCF.

Remember, the Mariners already tried this model and it failed miserably because of the lack of offense.

Viciedo, without Quentin in the line-up and with Konerko due for a down season, simply has to be in the everyday line-up.

The MAIN reason we failed this year was offense...with the exception of Pierre (who was supposed to give us at least decent defense).

I am hoping that the Sox can make a trade Adam Jones. Right now we have no CF.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
He does. But his range and reads are not very good. He by no means is considered a good defender.

Sox wasted a year (some would argue two) of development time defensively on him. Still bitter that they waited as long as they did.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:04 AM)
Something interesting I just noticed whilst talking to my Cubs friend.....

Peavy and Rios are pretty much our south side equals to Zambrano and Soriano. Our duo will cost us $29M in 2012, and put up a 2.2 combined WAR in 2011. Their duo will cost them $36M in 2012, and also put up a 2.2 combined WAR in 2011.

Just something depressingly interesting I thought I would share.

Peavy's aituation was due to injury not being a mental midget. He has a good chance to rebound and be a good pitcher. The situations are nowhere near similar.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
Viciedo will be great on this team as a part time DH/4th OF. I am all about pitching and defense.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
How are you discrediting Dayan as an OF already? He seemed to do fine in RF after his call-up, and it's assumed he will only improve from here. As a fan of a team who employed Jermaine Dye and Carlos Quentin in RF for the better part of a decade, I am surprised your defensive standards would be so high for a RF, especially one who has a great arm and the potential to be a huge offensive weapon.

Viciedo needs to be in the OF until he proves he can't. So far, he hasn't had the chance.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
I thought the tank had a crazy good arm?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:54 AM)
He does. But his range and reads are not very good. He by no means is considered a good defender.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
I seen him played a lot last year in Charlotte. My defense standards is for every position on the field.

Not a big fan of Quentin.

So..."Judging the ability of a guy to read a ball in the OF when he's played the OF for 1 season in his life" doesn't strike me as the wisest strategy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Seriously? a comparison between Ichiro and Viciedo? :lolhitting

Correct.

If you want a laughable statement, go to the people complaining about the defensive reads made by a guy playing his first 3 months in the OF. It's just silly.

This is why I spent 2 years getting pissed off over every time we'd change Viciedo's position, because if we'd actually had our act together, put him somewhere and let him develop at that spot, we'd actually be able to say a lot more what kind of defender he'd become. Instead, we get lunacy like complaining about Viciedo's defensive reads after his 1st season in the OF, which was also his 3rd position in 3 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
Correct.

If you want a laughable statement, go to the people complaining about the defensive reads made by a guy playing his first 3 months in the OF. It's just silly.

This is why I spent 2 years getting pissed off over every time we'd change Viciedo's position, because if we'd actually had our act together, put him somewhere and let him develop at that spot, we'd actually be able to say a lot more what kind of defender he'd become. Instead, we get lunacy like complaining about Viciedo's defensive reads after his 1st season in the OF, which was also his 3rd position in 3 years.

Nope, comparing Viciedo to Ichiro in any way, shape, or form is all of the laughs I need.

Adam Jones continues to be a terrible fit for the White Sox in every possible way.

I will take a Gold Glove winner, who could hit over 30 Hr's and drive in close to 100 runs, any day of the week.

Oh as well as steal many bases...

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
I will take a Gold Glove winner, who could hit over 30 Hr's and drive in close to 100 runs Sox any day of the week.

Oh as well as steal many bases...

And put up a middling .780 OPS because he strikes out a lot and never takes a walk, and who gets paid ~$20-25 million the next 3 years to do so before he is let go. And who stole a whopping 12 bases last year, and who is 44/64 in his career.

And put up a middling .780 OPS because he strikes out a lot and never takes a walk, and who gets paid ~$20-25 million the next 3 years to do so before he is let go. And who stole a whopping 12 bases last year, and who is 44/64 in his career.

I don't think 110 Strikeouts is a lot during a season.

If the report out of the Baltimore Sun is to be believed (which I saw on mlbtraderumors.com), then the O's certainly value Adam Jones more than some on this board. Supposedly the Braves offered Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado and a prospect for Jones, and the O's didn't bite. That's like us offering Floyd, Quentin and a prospect. I think Jones is good, but not good enough to turn down that offer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)

Indeed. I don't mind Jones, but he makes little sense on a club that is supposedly rebuilding. Same with Cespedes.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
If the report out of the Baltimore Sun is to be believed (which I saw on mlbtraderumors.com), then the O's certainly value Adam Jones more than some on this board. Supposedly the Braves offered Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado and a prospect for Jones, and the O's didn't bite. That's like us offering Floyd, Quentin and a prospect. I think Jones is good, but not good enough to turn down that offer.

Adam Jones is a lot like Alex Rios (pre complete fail).