2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Sox to win the Central only 2 things need to happen.

Quite Simple: Have a hot April/May. Have a winning percentage above .600 vs. the Division for the season.

Not doing both has doomed them the last few years. Unfortunately, the team as constructed would have to have SO MANY lucky things happen all at once to pull it off. It just seems impossible: A simultaneous comeback from Dunn, Rios, and Beckham. Jake Peavy having no set backs and pitching his ass off. Danks and Floyd not being the maddeningly inconsistent starters they've been all of their careers on the South Side. Humber proving last year wasn't a fluke and Sale making a seamless transition popping the gun in the upper 90's all season long (not the 93 I'm sure he's gonna top out at most of the season) Thornton being able to shake off the nightmare of early 2011 or Reed stepping up and dominating ala Craig Kimbrel.

The 2012 Sox have ONE player they can count on to put up numbers a contender needs and that's Paulie. Everything else is a small to huge question mark. That's not gonna win you many games in baseball...

That being said I am excited to see Reed, De Aza, Morel (see if that September was a fluke or not) and Viciedo growing up. Maybe not excited enough to pay to watch the games, but excited to at least track their progress

By the third season at Camelback Ranch, neither the White Sox nor Dodgers made much money from playing there, according to documents filed Friday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

The Camelback Ranch profits fell 65% in two years -- from $2,162,047 in 2009 to $759,017 in 2011, according to the documents. The average attendance for the White Sox hardly moved (6,119 in 2009 to 6,117 in 2011), but the Dodgers' attendance has dropped 17%.

Trib

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
For the Sox to win the Central only 2 things need to happen.

Quite Simple: Have a hot April/May. Have a winning percentage above .600 vs. the Division for the season.

Not doing both has doomed them the last few years. Unfortunately, the team as constructed would have to have SO MANY lucky things happen all at once to pull it off. It just seems impossible: A simultaneous comeback from Dunn, Rios, and Beckham. Jake Peavy having no set backs and pitching his ass off. Danks and Floyd not being the maddeningly inconsistent starters they've been all of their careers on the South Side. Humber proving last year wasn't a fluke and Sale making a seamless transition popping the gun in the upper 90's all season long (not the 93 I'm sure he's gonna top out at most of the season) Thornton being able to shake off the nightmare of early 2011 or Reed stepping up and dominating ala Craig Kimbrel.

The 2012 Sox have ONE player they can count on to put up numbers a contender needs and that's Paulie. Everything else is a small to huge question mark. That's not gonna win you many games in baseball...

That being said I am excited to see Reed, De Aza, Morel (see if that September was a fluke or not) and Viciedo growing up. Maybe not excited enough to pay to watch the games, but excited to at least track their progress

Aside from Konerko, Lillibridge, and Humber nothing went right for the Sox last year. Unless the players mentioned above really can't play, I don't see why we should not expect a good bounce back.

The more interesting question is why did it decrease so much?

Simply because of the lost ticket sales from the Dodgers?

You'd have expected going into 2011 that optimism and interest would be about as high or equal to the first year (because of Dunn coming on board and the relatively positive 2010 season), and that's exactly what happened, it was stable.

So instead of taking a direct shot at the chaos which was the Dodgers last offseason, they're firing a shot across the bow of the Sox for no reason at all.

Sounds like the "anti-Ozzie" approach the last 3 years...we'll see how things go on the Northside, Southside and Miami.

Sveum reiterated he will hold his players accountable, though he added it may not involve "screaming or yelling" at them.

"It's just about when mistakes are made, especially on the mental side, that they're taken care of," he said. "They like to be held accountable. I think any human being does. It's the way America works. That's why we're the greatest country in the world, because we are held accountable on an everyday basis.

"Our mothers and fathers always are held accountable, and the same as Major League Baseball players. They always have to be held accountable for what they do on the field, as well as off the field."

Sveum's tough love approach will be interesting to watch, especially after the lack of accountability from players such as Carlos Zambrano and Milton Bradley in recent years.

"You can tell that he means that," outfielder Reed Johnson said. "A lot of coaches and staff members can say that sometimes, but it's not genuine, or they're not really going to follow through. I don't think he cares if you're making $15 million or $450,000. You're going to go out there and play the game hard. And if you're not, you're not going to play.

"For players like me, that's really refreshing, because a lot of the times, especially throughout the league and throughout my experiences, that hasn't really been true. The players know if you come in with that attitude, you're going to be in for a rude awakening with this staff."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
The more interesting question is why did it decrease so much?

Simply because of the lost ticket sales from the Dodgers?

I'd imagine it's in part because the "new stadium effect" has gone and there was a general economic downturn going on for the last several years.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
Anyone know why the White Sox are the last team to report to spring traing and why their first full workout is 5 days after the first teams workout. This is almost one week less of spring training than some teams are getting.

For a team that has started as slowly as they have maybe a late start is not the best thing.

The "First teams" started last week because they're heading to Japan a week before the US-based opening day. I don't know about other teams.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
Anyone know why the White Sox are the last team to report to spring traing and why their first full workout is 5 days after the first teams workout. This is almost one week less of spring training than some teams are getting.

For a team that has started as slowly as they have maybe a late start is not the best thing.

I don't know, and I am pretty sure Spring Training is all sanctioned by the team's themselves, not anything to do with the MLB, so I'd imagine it was up the the Sox to pick a date, and apparently they wanted to get there late.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
Anybody know what Robin Ventura's managerial style is going to be? That to me is the biggest mystery right now.

My ultimate guess would be that he talks to the team, wears a uniform, and stays in the dugout most of the time. Other days, he will wear a jacket.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 07:19 AM)
I don't think even Robin Ventura knows what his managerial style will be.

I hope he's just the CEO of the team, so to speak.

He can't know anything about handling pitching.

I would think he has never has thought much before about hit and running, when to steal bases, etc. I hope he lets Cooper make all the pitching decisions and his bench coach most of the other in-game decisions.

The guy has absolutely no experience. That's OK, though. Ozzie was hated so much by fans he's an easy act to follow.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)

I would think he has never has thought much before about hit and running, when to steal bases, etc.

The guy has absolutely no experience. That's OK, though. Ozzie was hated so much by fans he's an easy act to follow.

Neither did Ozzie when he started managing either. The guy was a third base coach, not a bench coach or minor league manager.

Cooper took care of the pitching staff the, and will now.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)

I would think he has never has thought much before about hit and running, when to steal bases, etc. I hope he lets Cooper make all the pitching decisions and his bench coach most of the other in-game decisions.

Hopefully a guy who played 3b and actually had to do things like know when to hit and run will be decent at knowing when to hit and run.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)

You're probably right about the pitching. He'd be wise to let Cooper handle that. Otherwise, it's not like the guy doesn't know the game. A guy with as much playing experience as him will have an idea of when to hit and run, steal, bunt, etc. It'll probably take a bit for him to know his team and what each guy is capable of. Let's just hope he makes the right decisions with the knowledge he has.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
You're probably right about the pitching. He'd be wise to let Cooper handle that. Otherwise, it's not like the guy doesn't know the game. A guy with as much playing experience as him will have an idea of when to hit and run, steal, bunt, etc. It'll probably take a bit for him to know his team and what each guy is capable of. Let's just hope he makes the right decisions with the knowledge he has.

It'll take Robin time to learn the league. He really should have a grace period from us fans for a while.

Plenty of people here think they can manage a bullpen better than ozzie. I'm sure that robin will do just fine, while being criticized for being exactly the opposite.

I thought Ozzie did pretty well managing the bullpen. It's filling out the lineup card where I thought I could do much better than Ozzie.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
I thought Ozzie did pretty well managing the bullpen. It's filling out the lineup card where I thought I could do much better than Ozzie.

Managing the bullpen? Maybe. Knowing when to pull Jake Peavy and Philip Humber as starters? Awful, awful, awful. Maybe the worst decision making I've ever seen by a Sox manager.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Managing the bullpen? Maybe. Knowing when to pull Jake Peavy and Philip Humber as starters? Awful, awful, awful. Maybe the worst decision making I've ever seen by a Sox manager.

The worst part was he was in love with the L/R match-up for pitchers but than would never pinch hit to use it to his advantage.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)

Good luck to Robin in trying to convince Peavy to come out of a game.

Good luck to Robin in dealing with AJP as well if he decides to play Flowers a lot.

Good luck to Robin dealing with Rios and Dunn if he decides to "rest them" a lot.

Whether you guys believe it or not, Ozzie was an easy manager to play for and a good manager. Good luck to Robin in dealing with the egos of these millionaires.

There's a chance Robin could have some problems in the clubhouse with our veterans. If Robin is a natural as a manager, great.