Omar Vizquel not happy....

JoshPR

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 07:09 PM)
He wants to play another season.. This is the link in Spanish.

http://laverdad.com/detnotic.php?CodNotic=70419

I like Omar, but he's 44 or 45 years old, made a couple of million and at this point is lucky to be on a roster. I really can't fault Ozzie or the Sox for his playing time. You still should have to earn it. Who was he going to take time from? Morel? He has to play. Ramirez? Alexei is clearly a better player than Omar right now? Beckham? Beckham needs to play as well, and as bad as he hit, he still is probably a better offensive player than Omar at this point, and is probably better defensively.

I'm not an OV guy, but I've never really understood why people have this huge problem with someone saying "I want to play more." Everyone should want to play more.

On top of it, this comes after the season is over. He probably felt during the year that -unlike Morel- he'd be up there taking a walk once in awhile, helping the team. Granted he probably doesn't clearly view where his own defense is now at, but it's at least possible he could've gotten more opportunities.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)
I will admit I didn't read the article. But Omar can kiss my ass and good riddance. You're like 60 and shouldn't be playing that much anyway. Go play bingo or something.

Not to be an ass to Omar but you said it perfectly. I doubt another team would even have him on the roster.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
From what I could translate he's confused why he would pick up a couple hits and then the very next day Ozzie would have him sit. Gee, where have I heard that same complaint? Could it be HERE?

Yeah, yet everyone here is jumping on him. Perhaps he would have played better and 'deserved his paycheck' if he could have had a bit more time on the field.

I thought Omar was very valuable to this club. The way I seen it, while he spent time with our ballclub, I have seen a huge improvement in the infield play of both Alexei and Beckham. He was an anti-Ozzie in a way. He was probably a leader and set a great example for our kids in the infield. They probably looked up to him and asked him questions about defensive play. While Ozzie and Kenny had their rift going on, I bet none of the young kids wanted to talk to Ozzie. I wouldnt want to take advice from someone constantly bickering with management. Hell, I bet Morel even learned a thing or 2 from him. All this knowledge, for 3.125 million spread over 2 years. If we have room on our roster, I would sign him for one more year, but would understand if he wanted to go to a club that can win it all or spend his last year in Cleveland. Class act imo.

edit: more: I think Omar was more Kenny's idea than Ozzie's. He brought another leader into the clubhouse for our kids to look out for and seek help.

Edited by GO CHI SOX!

I cringed during that stretch when Ozzie was starting to play Omar a lot cause Morel was sucking so badly.

I thought Oz would play Oldie the entire rest of the season.

Omar is too old. He annoyed me when he played a lot and when he batted second.

It seems like y'all are being kind of unfair to the man. Y'all do understand his complaint was sitting after a good game and was kept in the lineup after a bad game? And seriously, do you really want a roster full of players that do not care if they get into the line up or not?

"I'm just here for the paycheck, I don't care if they play me or not, just keep the checks coming?"

I agree with Omar in that if someone has a good game, especially a reserve, you should find a spot for them the next day to see if they stay hot.

And if Ozzie would have found one day a week to rest Morel, Ramirez and Beckham, that's three days Omar could play and that would be just fine.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 06:47 AM)
It seems like y'all are being kind of unfair to the man. Y'all do understand his complaint was sitting after a good game and was kept in the lineup after a bad game? And seriously, do you really want a roster full of players that do not care if they get into the line up or not?

"I'm just here for the paycheck, I don't care if they play me or not, just keep the checks coming?"

I mean Tex...to be fair, this is a 45 year old backup IF who hit .253 during the year with a .590 OPS. If he doesn't understand that he's a backup now...he's not going to be in the league next year. If I'm a GM thinking about signing a backup IF to a minimum contract...I'd look at the fact that he's whining about playing time and think "no matter how classy of a veteran he is I don't need that on my roster."

By my count he had 10 Multi-hit games this year. He played the next day after 3 of them. 4 others he got another start within the same series or within 2 days of that multi hit game. There are only 3 Vizquel games this season where he got more than 1 hit and then wasn't on the field starting again by the 3rd day, and all of them were either in April or September. One of them was his last game of the year.

Maybe if Vizquel had hit more than .250, he could have earned his way into the lineup more. Nah, that couldn't be it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
I mean Tex...to be fair, this is a 45 year old backup IF who hit .253 during the year with a .590 OPS. If he doesn't understand that he's a backup now...he's not going to be in the league next year. If I'm a GM thinking about signing a backup IF to a minimum contract...I'd look at the fact that he's whining about playing time and think "no matter how classy of a veteran he is I don't need that on my roster."

By my count he had 10 Multi-hit games this year. He played the next day after 3 of them. 4 others he got another start within the same series or within 2 days of that multi hit game. There are only 3 Vizquel games this season where he got more than 1 hit and then wasn't on the field starting again by the 3rd day, and all of them were either in April or September. One of them was his last game of the year.

Maybe if Vizquel had hit more than .250, he could have earned his way into the lineup more. Nah, that couldn't be it.

He is also a guy who showed last year that he plays way better with consistent playing time instead of once every couple of weeks. Go back and compare his numbers last year to early when he wasn't playing much, and then later when he got to be a regular again. I don't blame him for being upset, he has shown us what kind of playing time he needs to be a better player, and Ozzie didn't give it to him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
He is also a guy who showed last year that he plays way better with consistent playing time instead of once every couple of weeks. Go back and compare his numbers last year to early when he wasn't playing much, and then later when he got to be a regular again. I don't blame him for being upset, he has shown us what kind of playing time he needs to be a better player, and Ozzie didn't give it to him.

I don't think his numbers show that. It shows him hitting really well in June/July. Here's games started vs. OPS. He got the largest amount of playing time down the stretch last year, at which point his numbers tailed off a lot.

6 .367

6 .667

19 .726

15 .801

23 .678

20 .604

Omar Vizquel is not going to go in as anyone's everyday starter any more. If he needs to play 20 games a month to find a groove, then he may as well retire.

Let's ask this another way.

Anyone here want to step up and say that Omar earned more playing time than he got?

Maybe...maybe, you can tell me that giving Beckham a week or two off would have helped him. Morel was basically hitting exactly where Vizquel would have been hitting most of the year...except we saw the benefits of playing him more in September. Maybe Alexei needed a little more rest somewhere, but Omar definitely shouldn't have been playing in front of Alexei.

Unless you're telling me that Beckham could have benefited from a week or two off...where did Vizquel deserve more playing time @?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)
I will admit I didn't read the article. But Omar can kiss my ass and good riddance. You're like 60 and shouldn't be playing that much anyway. Go play bingo or something.

I agree. He's lucky to still earn a big-league paycheck.