Chris Sale to be Moved to the Rotation in 2012

Kalapse

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Wow you guys really think we won't see Floyd OR Danks back?

We better be getting somebody REALLY good for them.

I think there will may be better pitchers on the trade market that will limit what they will be able to get in return.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
Wow you guys really think we won't see Floyd OR Danks back?

We better be getting somebody REALLY good for them.

I think Danks is gone. Floyd depends on what salary level JR is willing to endorse. And I still really want Stewart to start the year at AAA if possible.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
They'll need six starters with Sale and Peavy in the rotation, as both will have limited innings because of injury or by design.

If the choice is Stewart/Axelrod, we do technically have 6 starters because the loser starts off in AAA.

But Stewart/Axelrod in the 5th spot really is not a recipe for challenging for the Central. A starting pitcher coming back or a "Coop will fix em" signing seems in order if both Danks and Floyd were moved.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
I'd rather rebuild than plan to challenge for the central with this group.

This is a case where the fact that we have so much invested in 3 underperforming guys and a handful of high performing guys dictates that a true rebuilding is nearly impossible.

If you try to sell off everything of value, and then Dunn, Rios, and Peavy perform well...you're still not going to get much for them by trading them, because people will be scared off by 2011 (Dunn), 2009-2011 (Peavy), and 2009 and 2011 (Rios).

This effectively means...they're going to be playing or on the bench...but they're going to get paid either way. If they happen to perform well, but you've surrounded them with stuff that can't compete, you've shot yourself in the foot and wasted their comeback.

If they fail again, then they sit on the bench and you're playing what kids you have anyway...because you're not competing.

I think you put the best cheap, young team around them that you can and see what happens. But that's just me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
I think you put the best cheap, young team around them that you can and see what happens. But that's just me.

I do too. I think the priority should be 1.) rebuild 2.) challenge for central. I wouldn't discount the idea of having Stewart and Axelrod in the rotation because it's not the best way to go about winning the central.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
If we re-signed Buerhle and dumped BOTH Danks and Floyd, we'd still have a shot at winning the division. If the big contracts rebound, it's more than enough. If they don't, we're going to lose anyway. I say dump the valuable pieces for desperately needed prospects.

Thats what they are doing. Teams dont need to "rebuild" especially when they actually have some decent already long term signed and (expensive)talent.

They are dumping:

Quentin

Thornton

Danks

Floyd

Pierre

Castro

Omar

You are going to get young talent in return for Thornton, Danks, Floyd and Quentin, and you are injecting players from your system into starting roles.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
Thats what they are doing. Teams dont need to "rebuild" especially when they actually have some decent already long term signed and (expensive)talent.

They are dumping:

Quentin

Thornton

Danks

Floyd

Pierre

Castro

Omar

You are going to get young talent in return for Thornton, Danks, Floyd and Quentin, and you are injecting players from your system into starting roles.

What was expected albeit I thought they'd keep Floyd and just move Danks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)

They are dumping:

Quentin

Thornton

Danks

Floyd

Pierre

Castro

Omar

I'm okay with this. Somewhat like the Tigers did after the 09 season when trading Granderson and Edwin Jackson. Just at a larger scale and hopefully with a better return. I just hope whatever new organizational culture/philosophy that has been mentioned will include more of an investment in the minors, scouting, and the draft. In the long run it would ideally prevent situations like the one we are in now.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
What was expected albeit I thought they'd keep Floyd and just move Danks.

Keeping Floyd is probably a smart idea. Although if you move either one of them, you'd be selling low.