Is Carlos Quentin going to be on this team in 2012?

sunofgold

Any way that we keep Quentin in 2012? He really didn't increase his trade value being on the DL for the end of the season.

I am looking at this team and not taking salaries in consideration..this would be our best OF combination for 2012. Viciedo in LF, De Aza in CF, and Quentin in RF. Maybe not the best defensively but I believe that Carlos improved his defense in 2011 vs 2010.

Offensively however this would give us a nice middle of the order with Konerko, Viciedo, and Quentin. You could bat them in any order that you like. And De Aza would be given the chance to be the new leadoff man.

But then there is Rios. I know that he has a big salary. But I hope that the White Sox make him earn a starting spot. Let him know that he isn't guaranteed a starting spot and has to go out and earn it. Same for Dunn..make them earn the playing time. Lillibridge also fits in nicely in a corner OF spot or 1B and Konerko or Viciedo or Quentin can DH a bit.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
No. Pretty much no chance at all.

Let me throw this out there. What if we don't resign Buehrle and we trade Danks. Would that be enough of a salary dump to keep Quentin? I personally don't think that Quentin has reached his peak yet.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Let me throw this out there. What if we don't resign Buehrle and we trade Danks. Would that be enough of a salary dump to keep Quentin? I personally don't think that Quentin has reached his peak yet.

If you make a list of the guys to keep out of that group, Carlos would be 3rd.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)

Eh, I'd be more willing to trade Quentin and Danks and re-sign Buehrle.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
Eh, I'd be more willing to trade Quentin and Danks and re-sign Buehrle.

Quentin and Thornton are going to be the first guys to go, and I would bet that Q goes first. The one reprieve Matt might get is that lack of lefties in the pen if Sale moves to the rotation and Matt gets dealt. Q already has he replacement playing on the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
^this is what I want also.

I just still struggle to believe we'll get for Quentin what we think Quentin should be worth.

He's an interesting trade piece. On one hand, he's shown flashes of being an offensive monster. But, the other (bigger) hand is him being injury-prone and a sub-par defender. I personally don't expect much back.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
He's an interesting trade piece. On one hand, he's shown flashes of being an offensive monster. But, the other (bigger) hand is him being injury-prone and a sub-par defender. I personally don't expect much back.

You aren't going to get that much back for Quentin. If you keep him and he plays well , then his trade value also increases. How about trading Floyd, Danks, Thornton and re-signing Buehrle and keeping Quentin? Trying my best to get creative. lol!

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
You aren't going to get that much back for Quentin. If you keep him and he plays well , then his trade value also increases. How about trading Floyd, Danks, Thornton and re-signing Buehrle and keeping Quentin? Trying my best to get creative. lol!

The sad thing is...his trade value really doesn't increase all that much...because he goes from being a full season participant to a 1/2 season rental. He comes out with a 1.000 OPS in the first half next year and his trade value only nudges up because that might push him to be a type A Free agent...he'd just be a 2 month rental you can't count on to stay healthy.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Don't expect to be overwhelmed by the returns for any of the players the Sox trade. I just don't think teams will be looking to add salary and give much in return.

Somewhat agree...except for Danks. He should bring a decent return IMO. If people are looking for blockbusters...I doubt it happens...but it may be interesting to see what parts could be had for a package of say Floyd/Quentin or Danks/Quentin. The parts by themselves probably won't bring all that much.

With that said...I know hindsight 20/20...but how Quentin survived the deadline last year and wasn't dealt is maddening.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Somewhat agree...except for Danks. He should bring a decent return IMO. If people are looking for blockbusters...I doubt it happens...but it may be interesting to see what parts could be had for a package of say Floyd/Quentin or Danks/Quentin. The parts by themselves probably won't bring all that much.

Danks is an interesting case. He's coming off a down year with only a year left before free agency, don't know what the return would be.

With that said...I know hindsight 20/20...but how Quentin survived the deadline last year and wasn't dealt is maddening.

I don't think it's hindsight at all. To me it's a fireable offense on Williams part.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
Danks is an interesting case. He's coming off a down year with only a year left before free agency, don't know what the return would be.

I don't think it's hindsight at all. To me it's a fireable offense on Williams part.

KW breathing is a fireable offense to you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
The sad thing is...his trade value really doesn't increase all that much...because he goes from being a full season participant to a 1/2 season rental. He comes out with a 1.000 OPS in the first half next year and his trade value only nudges up because that might push him to be a type A Free agent...he'd just be a 2 month rental you can't count on to stay healthy.

there's that and then his trade value coming off an injured shoulder. Cancel each other out IMO. I'd rather roll the dice and keep him, then hope the guys making 100 mil perform like it.