Is Carlos Quentin going to be on this team in 2012?

sunofgold

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
what we think Quentin should be worth.

I guess the question is, "just what do you think that is?" You can reasonably expect him to put up an OPS between .800 and .850, play below-average right field (hopefully not atrocious). Track record indicates a likely DL stint (hopefully not a whole month, but maybe) and all this for a price tag of around $7 million?

In my opinion, you take whatever you can get for him and non-tender if you can't trade him. It's not that he doesn't have any value as a ballplayer. But he's not worth that pricetag when you have Viciedo who can likely do the same thing for $7 million less. Especially with the payroll as it is.

He has value to a team in need of corner outfield power whose willing to pay. Who are those teams?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
Any way that we keep Quentin in 2012? He really didn't increase his trade value being on the DL for the end of the season.

I am looking at this team and not taking salaries in consideration..this would be our best OF combination for 2012. Viciedo in LF, De Aza in CF, and Quentin in RF. Maybe not the best defensively but I believe that Carlos improved his defense in 2011 vs 2010.

Offensively however this would give us a nice middle of the order with Konerko, Viciedo, and Quentin. You could bat them in any order that you like. And De Aza would be given the chance to be the new leadoff man.

But then there is Rios. I know that he has a big salary. But I hope that the White Sox make him earn a starting spot. Let him know that he isn't guaranteed a starting spot and has to go out and earn it. Same for Dunn..make them earn the playing time. Lillibridge also fits in nicely in a corner OF spot or 1B and Konerko or Viciedo or Quentin can DH a bit.

The White Sox are going to cut payroll as much as they can for next season and try to add as many young prospects as possible. I think Danks will bring back 2 good prospects and Quentin can bring back something of worth, but I'm not sure what kind of return they can expect to get, besides salary relief (which is significant if you're trying to trim payroll) for guys like A.J. and Thornton. Gavin Floyd is another guy who they can land a good prospect for, being an established major league pitcher and making affordable money.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
I'm ready for the headcase to be gonezo.

I don't think it's fair to call the guy a headcase. It seemed to me he actually tries when he's on the field unlike his zombie-like teammates (there are some exceptions; Pierre, DeAza hustled a lot IMO).

He hit 24 homers with 77 rbi in 118 games. Not great, but if Rios put up these numbers he'd be worshiped. Carlos had .340 OBP and .499 SLG. Compared to some guys on our team he was Albert Pujols-like.

I agree we probably can't get much for our all-star but he's not a bum either.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
I don't think it's fair to call the guy a headcase. It seemed to me he actually tries when he's on the field unlike his zombie-like teammates (there are some exceptions; Pierre, DeAza hustled a lot IMO).

He hit 24 homers with 77 rbi in 118 games. Not great, but if Rios put up these numbers he'd be worshiped. Carlos had .340 OBP and .499 SLG. Compared to some guys on our team he was Albert Pujols-like.

Does a player need to be a grindy little speedster for you to think he's actually trying?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)

Do you know what a headcase even is?

Hint: a guy who punches his own bat during a playoff push.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear warfare... It just another BUST from KW.

Bust huh? Quentin had an MVP year in 2008, a very down year in 2009, a very, very down year in 2010 outside of a 16 game stretch which essentially made him worth his contract, and he had a good overall year this year. In his 4 years with the White Sox thus far, he has accumulated 7 wins - 4.8 his first year, 0 or less the next 2 years, and 2.6 this past year.

The player the White Sox traded for Carlos Quentin has a career WAR of -1.3 in 124 PAs and it's entirely possible that he'll never be anything more than a glorified platoon player.

The White Sox did not lose this trade, Carlos Quentin was not a bust, and anybody suggesting anything along those lines is wrong. Flat.out.wrong. So, naturally, you would say something like that.

---

I expect him to be traded. I'm not expecting a lot, but I do expect them to pick up an athletic player of some type. That seems to be the direction this organization is now looking when it comes to adding minor leaguers. So probably someone up the middle with high upside but with some problems. Or perhaps a pitcher with a lot of upside but some problems, ala Gavin Floyd or Jose Contreras. I'd also expect them to pick up another arm in the deal simply because that's how they roll. So basically a top 6-12 prospect (depending upon the depth of the opposing minor league system, of course) and a semi-high upside arm. That doesn't sound unreasonable, does it?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:37 AM)
Do you know what a headcase even is?

Hint: a guy who punches his own bat during a playoff push.

How many years ago was that? Seems to me he worked some on his temper/demeanor.

I thought he was good this year. Had decent numbers, not great.

He's definitely worth being our starting rightfielder next season IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 01:33 AM)
How many years ago was that?

I thought he was good this year. Had decent numbers, not great.

He's definitely worth being our starting rightfielder next season IMO.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
No knowledge of baseball economics whatsoever.

I realize that I am in the extreme minority, but I believe that Carlos Quentin will be on the Sox 2012 Opening Day Roster. I don't believe that KW can sell, or even wants to sell, to the fan base that they can't afford to pay their second-best hitter $7-8M in 2012 because Jake Peavy, Adam Dunn, and Alex Rios are eating up $50M or whatever. KW will find a way to keep him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:03 AM)
I realize that I am in the extreme minority, but I believe that Carlos Quentin will be on the Sox 2012 Opening Day Roster. I don't believe that KW can sell, or even wants to sell, to the fan base that they can't afford to pay their second-best hitter $7-8M in 2012 because Jake Peavy, Adam Dunn, and Alex Rios are eating up $50M or whatever. KW will find a way to keep him.

I believe because the team has to pay so much money to Dunn, Peavy, and Rios that trading Quentin (and hopefully getting something decent in return) makes sense. I hope that if he is traded he's not traded for nothing. If KW can't get something of value in return he should be kept.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
I guess the question is, "just what do you think that is?" You can reasonably expect him to put up an OPS between .800 and .850, play below-average right field (hopefully not atrocious). Track record indicates a likely DL stint (hopefully not a whole month, but maybe) and all this for a price tag of around $7 million?

In my opinion, you take whatever you can get for him and non-tender if you can't trade him. It's not that he doesn't have any value as a ballplayer. But he's not worth that pricetag when you have Viciedo who can likely do the same thing for $7 million less. Especially with the payroll as it is.

He has value to a team in need of corner outfield power whose willing to pay. Who are those teams?

that is the key. We have a guy on the roster who is going to be putting up pretty close to Q's numbers at 5% of the cost. That's why you make the trade. Plus the odds are you can get someone to help you at some point for Q, so you end up with Viciedo+trade pieces+a lot of cash>Carlos Quentin.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
that is the key. We have a guy on the roster who is going to be putting up pretty close to Q's numbers at 5% of the cost. That's why you make the trade. Plus the odds are you can get someone to help you at some point for Q, so you end up with Viciedo+trade pieces+a lot of cash>Carlos Quentin.

So what happens if, because of his injury, the trade pieces aren't very good or you even have to chip in some cash?