Incredible Story of Survival

Jenksismyhero

Basically I guy goes into a s***ty neighborhood to take his friend to some guys house. As soon as he steps out of the car he's blasted by some random 15 year old kid with a shotgun, ripping off part of his right arm. He looks up at the kid again, who puts a second shot (hole) in his chest. He's on the ground at this point and the kid puts the gun against his head. The guy moves at the last second and only gets the top chunk of his scalp ripped off. The guy looks up one more time at the kid before the kid knocks out all of his teeth with the butt of the gun. He's on his stomach lying face down at this point and the kid takes his keys and drives his car away.

Somehow in between blacking out (and what sounds like some divine intervention) the guy tries to get up and get help. He makes it about 20 feet before he collapses. Luckily a parole officer driving by happens to see him. He's rushed to the hospital and is in a coma for a few days. When he wakes up he has no idea who he is, where he's at, what year it is, etc. All he can recall is his parents' phone number. They are called (didn't know where he was for three days). He slowly recovers, though it takes 2-3 years before he is physically and emotionally "healed."

Luckily a few days after this all happened the idiot 15 year old bragged to a friend about shooting the guy. The friend instantly called the police and they picked the kid up. Turns out it was a gang initiation process. He had to go kill someone before being accepted into the gang. "Fortunately" the guy is still alive, otherwise the kid would be in jail for life. Instead, because he lived, he only got 35 years (so will serve probably 17.5). There was some mention too about how the kid and his family basically laughed at the guy as he was testifying in court. Instead of trying to find the kid to kill him, the guy went the route of the law.

There's absolutely no reason that that kid should be allowed to walk this earth.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
Summary? Every google result is just a link to the video.

I"m working at home today so I could watch it, and I actually recommend you take a few minutes and watch the two videos. Not because of the death penalty aspect, but just because it is a fairly amazing story.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
Lives are pretty cheap in your business.

I'm not going to apologize for not wanting murderous scum like that to share the planet with you and I. We're better off without them. Period.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
I'm not going to apologize for not wanting murderous scum like that to share the planet with you and I. We're better off without them. Period.

No apology necessary. At work, death is a positive result for you. So just like someone who only owns a hammer sees ever problem as a nail, you embrace the death penalty.

The quandary as I see it is we feel this guy is evil (and I agree) because he values life so little he would attempt to kill someone with such premeditation and in cold blood. Then as a society we do the same thing. We value life so little we will kill him in a premeditated and cool blooded fashion. With perhaps an even more twisted and cruel manner. We will set a date and allow him to sit in a cell and count down the days until the moment of his death. I believe it would say more about our society when we place such a high value on life that even this murderous scum is allowed to live. I'd prefer he stay locked with a picture of his victim on his wall until God takes his life. I see no reason why he should ever be allowed to walk free again.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
No apology necessary. At work, death is a positive result for you. So just like someone who only owns a hammer sees ever problem as a nail, you embrace the death penalty.

The quandary as I see it is we feel this guy is evil (and I agree) because he values life so little he would attempt to kill someone with such premeditation and in cold blood. Then as a society we do the same thing. We value life so little we will kill him in a premeditated and cool blooded fashion.

It would be more accurate to say we value HIS life so little that we will kill him.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)

The quandary as I see it is we feel this guy is evil (and I agree) because he values life so little he would attempt to kill someone with such premeditation and in cold blood. Then as a society we do the same thing. We value life so little we will kill him in a premeditated and cool blooded fashion. With perhaps an even more twisted and cruel manner. We will set a date and allow him to sit in a cell and count down the days until the moment of his death. I believe it would say more about our society when we place such a high value on life that even this murderous scum is allowed to live. I'd prefer he stay locked with a picture of his victim on his wall until God takes his life. I see no reason why he should ever be allowed to walk free again.

Happy to do that if he didn't get cable TV, better health care than half the country, library access and a host of other things. Solitary with just the picture would be fine with me. No AC and 68 in the winter and no special food for 'religious' reasons. if you went and killed someone you already proved that you don't follow your religious beliefs too closely, so you can eat whatever we give you. but we know that will never happen, prison will get sued the moment their food is cold or a bug crawls into the cell.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)

Is making a guy count down the days and hours 'til we get rid of him forever really a cruel fate? Those people get more justice than they give their victims. They get a trial by jury, endless appeals, visiting time with family, choice of a last meal (well, until this Nazi asshole came along), etc. For their victims, these savages were the juries, the judges and the executioners. There was no chance to say goodbye, there was no chance to eat crab legs one last time, there was no appeal to a higher and possibly more merciful power. So I honestly can't say I give one s*** that they have to ponder their pitiful existence in a cell until the state decides to give them the needle. It's not like they are summarily executed after the trial, or their heads are taken with the guillotine. So I just can't agree with you that our system is overly cruel, or that our actions in any way resemble theirs (not that you seem to be making such an argument, but I have seen people make it before).

As for what CW said, I agree. I value his life to the extent that he deserves a trial by jury. Beyond that, I have no pity or sympathy for him. He committed a heinous crime and will now pay the ultimate price. I do, however, value the lives of their victims. It saddens me when people protest on behalf of Troy Davis or Mumia Abu Jamal and don't even know the names of Mark MacPhail or Daniel Faulkner. And seeing some lunatic like Barbara Becnel scream about California executing an "innocent" man in Tookie Williams, a cold blooded murderer who got 26 more years to live than Albert Owens, Yen-Yi Yang, Tsai-Shai Yang and Yu-Chin Yang. I feel for them. For the people who deprived them of life, I feel nothing.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
It would be more accurate to say we value HIS life so little that we will kill him.

And he valued that guy's life so little he almost murdered him. That is my point. When we put values on lives, that somehow one person's life is worth more than another, it opens up something I'd rather not. If we stay consistent, that all lives have value, there is no ambiguity. Kill a soldier during war and if you get caught we'll put you in a nice POW camp until the end of the war then let you go. You may only sit in the POW camp for weeks if it's at the end of the war. Kill a salesperson and you may get life in prison, kill a cop, get executed. Kill a young black guy in a drive by and you may get 30 years.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 03:53 AM)
And he valued that guy's life so little he almost murdered him. That is my point. When we put values on lives, that somehow one person's life is worth more than another, it opens up something I'd rather not. If we stay consistent, that all lives have value, there is no ambiguity.

No one is consistent in that. I'm sure you value the lives of your family members more than other people. I'm sure you would rather see the attacker in this story killed than a random good citizen. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Basically I guy goes into a s***ty neighborhood to take his friend to some guys house. As soon as he steps out of the car he's blasted by some random 15 year old kid with a shotgun, ripping off part of his right arm. He looks up at the kid again, who puts a second shot (hole) in his chest. He's on the ground at this point and the kid puts the gun against his head. The guy moves at the last second and only gets the top chunk of his scalp ripped off. The guy looks up one more time at the kid before the kid knocks out all of his teeth with the butt of the gun. He's on his stomach lying face down at this point and the kid takes his keys and drives his car away.

Somehow in between blacking out (and what sounds like some divine intervention) the guy tries to get up and get help. He makes it about 20 feet before he collapses. Luckily a parole officer driving by happens to see him. He's rushed to the hospital and is in a coma for a few days. When he wakes up he has no idea who he is, where he's at, what year it is, etc. All he can recall is his parents' phone number. They are called (didn't know where he was for three days). He slowly recovers, though it takes 2-3 years before he is physically and emotionally "healed."

Luckily a few days after this all happened the idiot 15 year old bragged to a friend about shooting the guy. The friend instantly called the police and they picked the kid up. Turns out it was a gang initiation process. He had to go kill someone before being accepted into the gang. "Fortunately" the guy is still alive, otherwise the kid would be in jail for life. Instead, because he lived, he only got 35 years (so will serve probably 17.5). There was some mention too about how the kid and his family basically laughed at the guy as he was testifying in court. Instead of trying to find the kid to kill him, the guy went the route of the law.

There's absolutely no reason that that kid should be allowed to walk this earth.

I thought the guy that he gave the ride to shot him. How else would he have known his name?

Edited by Leonard Zelig