Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
I do agree he's coming off terrible so far, but thankfully he has time to get these things figured out by next February.

I am just enjoying being able to understand what our manager is saying.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
I think greg has gone past the point of just having an unpopular opinion to that of obvious troll. Either that or related to cowley/guillen. People should just stop trying.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 07:09 PM)
He's already better than Ozzie in my book.

1.) We've been through this troll thing before. A troll doesn't show up for 10 years and have a zillion posts.

2.) Ozzie got FRIED on this board that one game for sitting CQ after he hit 2 homers the night before or had 4 hits or something. Oz was sitting him cause he was 1-for-40 against the guy who was throwing or something.

Just.Win.Baby. Only way to shut people up.

For those looking for a positive spin, just look up the synopsis for the movie Mr. Holland's Opus. And every time Mr. Holland comes up replace it with Robin. Cause you see, Mr. Holland never wanted to teach, but in the end he loved his job....and the kids, they wound up teaching HIM. So it might all work out with Robin...

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
For those looking for a positive spin, just look up the synopsis for the movie Mr. Holland's Opus. And every time Mr. Holland comes up replace it with Robin. Cause you see, Mr. Holland never wanted to teach, but in the end he loved his job....and the kids, they wound up teaching HIM. So it might all work out with Robin...

That one chick in the movie is hot.

The one who was a teenager in Uncle Buck and then grew up to be a total babe.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)

:lolhitting

One of the reasons why Ventura took his time getting back in to baseball? Sounds like it was pretty tough.

Ankle transplant surgery gave former baseball star Robin Ventura a new lease on life

CROWE'S NEST

Virtually immobilized by pain from an old injury, the former White Sox (and Dodgers) third baseman has been practically pain free since a surgeon inserted an ankle joint from a cadaver in his right ankle in 2005.

June 19, 2011|Jerry Crowe

From Arroyo Grande, Calif. — Only months after wrapping up a 16-year major league career, Robin Ventura could barely walk without a cane.

So intense was the discomfort in his right ankle, mangled in a slide earlier and deadened with painkillers thereafter, that the former All-Star third baseman found he lingered in bed a little longer each morning, unwilling to step into the day.

"I didn't go places for a long time," Ventura volunteers, "because I didn't feel like getting up and walking."

Drastic measures, he says, were seriously considered.

As Ventura remembers it, "I told my wife, 'I am at the point where if I have to cut it off, I'll cut it off,' because it hurt that bad. 'Take it right below the knee. I don't care.'"

Luckily for Ventura, who played his last 1½ seasons with the Dodgers, it never got to that point because he found in William Bugbee of San Diego an orthopedic surgeon who offered an uncommon solution: ankle transplant surgery.

That was in 2005.

Six years later, an ankle joint harvested from a cadaver screwed into his right ankle, a smiling Ventura walks without a limp into a coffee shop near his home in Arroyo Grande.

"Now I can play golf, I can walk, I can go hiking," the father of four says. "I just can't run. I mean, if somebody's chasing me with a gun or a knife or something, I can run. But if I run, it will hurt the next day. Anything else is pretty much fair game."

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
I think Cooper is a great pitching coach but I absolutely hate his personality based off interviews ive heard him in and would not enjoy having him as manager one bit. Not to say he is the devil cowley says in his column just my opinion over the years about Cooper.

He's a whiney wuss.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Yes. She grew up to be a very attractive young woman. She is exceedingly beautiful.

Is that better?

I agree with greg. not a great picture at all...but I think she's very attractive.

Yes I would. In. A. Heartbeat. And it would probably have to involve some begging...

jean_louisa_kelly_broadway_premeire_aHuF