Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
I don't see the exceedingly beautiful in her, but to each their own.

When she acted in Uncle Buck she played a high schooler but was really 20 so it's not creepy to ask you to watch that movie and look at her aged 20-30.

She also remained a good looking woman into her 30s-40s but whatever.

And she is a great singer as well as actor.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
1.) We've been through this troll thing before. A troll doesn't show up for 10 years and have a zillion posts.

2.) Ozzie got FRIED on this board that one game for sitting CQ after he hit 2 homers the night before or had 4 hits or something. Oz was sitting him cause he was 1-for-40 against the guy who was throwing or something.

Just.Win.Baby. Only way to shut people up.

Ozzie also bunts Juan Pierre to second give the chance. You can try to spin it anyway you want, but Ozzie rarely used statistics. And when he did, they probably weren't good ones.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
When she acted in Uncle Buck she played a high schooler but was really 20 so it's not creepy to ask you to watch that movie and look at her aged 20-30.

She also remained a good looking woman into her 30s-40s but whatever.

And she is a great singer as well as actor.

How would you rate her compared to Mrs. Teahen?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Better PR would have been a coach who won a WS like TLA or Francona. Robin has years of playing and leadership experience in an MLB clubhouse. Its not that difficult to move from that to managing a clubhouse. They arent calling plays or inventing some new sort of baseball, he is leading a team that already has a player/coach in Konerko and several young kids that respect him from their offseasons and ST working with him.

I agree. Its not like they have to explain the game to Robin. People are thinking this is way more complicated than it really is. Ozzie Guillen, despite what the Sox loved to say, has the IQ of a grape and he won a WS his second year managing after being a 3rd base coach which is watching games from a different spot. Robin has watched plenty of baseball. He knows what's going on.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArKs..._rookies_100511

I think it's worthwhile to look at this article as it really frames what we should be looking at as Ventura fills out the rest of his coaching staff...if the D-Backs can go from 65-97 to one inning away from the NLCS, then it's obviously possible for the White Sox to contend again as well.

Unfortunately, DET has Verlander/Scherzer/Porcello/Fister/Jacob Turner all signed through 2014.

Of course, we looked like we had our own pitching dynasty set-up for 2-3 years after 2005 and that fell apart soon enough.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
I agree with greg. not a great picture at all...but I think she's very attractive.

Yes I would. In. A. Heartbeat. And it would probably have to involve some begging...

jean_louisa_kelly_broadway_premeire_aHuF

She was on Yes, Dear (I grew to really like that show in syndication in college). She's very hot in it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Yeah, because we were so expecting Konerko to come out and rip management. I mean he does so all the time.

Paul Konerko didn't even say anything negative about Ozzie after he was gone. When Ozzie lovers tried to use that a defense, they were quickly and correctly shouted down by people saying that Konerko would never say anything negative. Now, the tables are turned and people are using it like it's going to mean something?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 02:05 AM)
How would you rate her compared to Mrs. Teahen?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 04:28 AM)
She was on Yes, Dear (I grew to really like that show in syndication in college). She's very hot in it.

1.) I think she is prolly hotter than Mrs. T, but I could be mistaken.

2.) Wow milkman backs me on an issue. I forgot about Yes Dear and she was hot in that as well.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Paul Konerko didn't even say anything negative about Ozzie after he was gone. When Ozzie lovers tried to use that a defense, they were quickly and correctly shouted down by people saying that Konerko would never say anything negative. Now, the tables are turned and people are using it like it's going to mean something?

If you think that was him spewing the company line then thats your opinion. He didnt have to get that detailed if he was just supporting the organization. It was a pretty glowing opinion of Robin and not the only one.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 04:15 AM)
That will never go away. I still laugh at it.

That should be the 2011 Sox poster. Getting b**** slapped.

Just watched it again.

That's not the way to fight.

It's like Ventura dipped his head right into the armpit of Ryan. All he had to do was close it and uppercut him. That's still one of the few baseball fights somebody truly gets beaten up.

Ryan just clocked him on the uppercut.

I met Ryan at his hotel / restaurant on Choke Canyon Lake. I wish I had a video camera when we talked about it. He said something to the affect that Robin was in a no win situation. Beat up a 46 year old guy? A legend? Yeah, that ain't good. Still he could have lost more gracefully. Think he'll go out to the mound next season and have Mark put him in a headlock?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)

Actually PK really did say it was time for Ozzie to go if you listened to what he was saying.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 05:37 AM)
I met Ryan at his hotel / restaurant on Choke Canyon Lake. I wish I had a video camera when we talked about it. He said something to the affect that Robin was in a no win situation. Beat up a 46 year old guy? A legend? Yeah, that ain't good. Still he could have lost more gracefully. Think he'll go out to the mound next season and have Mark put him in a headlock?

Ryan raised/s longhorn steer for a hobby. He probably could still beat up most 26 year old baseball players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 07:27 AM)
Actually PK really did say it was time for Ozzie to go if you listened to what he was saying.

I know that's what he insinuated, but it was more like a "every manager has to go at some point." Completely PC. He's never going to call someone out, especially his new manager, even if it were Satan himself.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
I know that's what he insinuated, but it was more like a "every manager has to go at some point." Completely PC. He's never going to call someone out, especially his new manager, even if it were Satan himself.

He probably wouldnt give specific examples of why Satan would be a good manager either.

FWIW ;) The cross country coach for one of our other middle schools is from Chicago and a White Sox fan. Imagine that, two guys a few miles from the Mexico border, chatting Sox baseball. Last season we were both wearing Sox caps at a race. Anyway, we always talk a little baseball while our teams are running. He likes the hiring. Thinks Robin will manage more conservatively and add some professionalism and a working harder ethos to the organization.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
FWIW ;) The cross country coach for one of our other middle schools is from Chicago and a White Sox fan. Imagine that, two guys a few miles from the Mexico border, chatting Sox baseball. Last season we were both wearing Sox caps at a race. Anyway, we always talk a little baseball while our teams are running. He likes the hiring. Thinks Robin will manage more conservatively and add some professionalism and a working harder ethos to the organization.

When did you move to Lawrence, Kansas?