KW: Joe Cowley a Liar

SouthSideTeacher

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
Workout routines??? Ya, I bet managers really draw those up not the team of qualified trainers. I'm sure he had thoughts on all of those other points when he was a veteran player but it wasnt his role to actually carry it out. And cutting a player is the GM's call FYI.

So either you're deliberately missing the point or you're accidentally defending Ozzie Guillen.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
According to "sources" on one side was Ozzie and his family, on the other side was the entire White Sox organization including a 20+ year pitching coach, the GM, the owner, the Minor League Director and so on. To get rid of dysfunction you have to eliminate one side, and they did.

Ozzie did plenty wrong. But the Sox hired him, knew he'd be wild, and couldn't work with him the right way. That's not being blameless. The fact that it worked well for awhile and then didn't means Ozzie wasn't a total trainwreck-- that one way or another there were problems adapting to changes.

JR has brought us managerial choices like Manuel and Bevington, so I'm far from out of line when I say the Sox have something to prove with regard to making a mess and then having to clean it up.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Regardless of what one thinks about Cowley, it's still on the FO to prevent dysfunction like what we apparently had. If prevention is out then we're faced with 'cleanup'.

Here's to another try at it.

If the rumors are true, Kenny did try firing Ozzie, but Jerry wouldn't let him.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
+1

As I mentioned in that thread I started, I think this war started when KW publicly threw Ozzie under the bus (to use his term) for Jim Thome not coming back. I remember thinking: what the hell just happened here? And it was during Soxfest, if I recall!

But yeah, it would bubble up when Ozzie would continually play Rios/Dunn for no apparent reason and then of course with the infamous (even I was like WTF?! and I don't second-guess managers a lot) Dunn Pinch-Hits for Lilly debacle.

In fact, now that I think about it with these two, I could easily see how KW rubbed the DH-by-committee in Ozzie's face, which is why Ozzie took every opportunity to rub Your Big Signing No-Hitting DH right back in his.

I think the team was simply a prop in a war between these two. No wonder 2011 sucked.

Ozzie decided that publicly long before Soxfest.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
If the rumors are true, Kenny did try firing Ozzie, but Jerry wouldn't let him.

The more all this stuff leaks out, the more I think JR was a major reason why we wasted $127 million this season.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
During those 2000 games was he ever asked to discipline a trouble maker? Was he asked to yank a player for dogging it? Has he ever pulled a pitcher that wanted to stay in the game? Has he ever dealt with an under-performing starter with an up and coming bench player in their shadow?

If the stories are true, he was involved in the background for a lot of those types of things as a player. Obviously he hasn't done it publicly, but there are stories out there about Robin getting into Frank's face during some of his sulking fits, and the like.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
If the stories are true, he was involved in the background for a lot of those types of things as a player. Obviously he hasn't done it publicly, but there are stories out there about Robin getting into Frank's face during some of his sulking fits, and the like.

What do you mean by the bolded?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
Yes, he probably chewed out a players while in a clubhouse in his career a few times, in fact one instance he did it to Big Frank. All of those situations you listed he has been through at the major league level.

Oops, needed to read a bit further.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
Ozzie did plenty wrong. But the Sox hired him, knew he'd be wild, and couldn't work with him the right way. That's not being blameless. The fact that it worked well for awhile and then didn't means Ozzie wasn't a total trainwreck-- that one way or another there were problems adapting to changes.

JR has brought us managerial choices like Manuel and Bevington, so I'm far from out of line when I say the Sox have something to prove with regard to making a mess and then having to clean it up.

How do you work with Ozzie, "the right way"?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Crap you caught me. RockRaines and I got together, despite us never meeting, to plan on making up the exact same story.

What story? All I've heard is that he got in Frank's face once. What am I missing here?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
What story? All I've heard is that he got in Frank's face once. What am I missing here?

That's why I am trying to figure out. People asked about Robin's role in the locker room, they got an anecdote from his playing days. What is the big problem here?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
That's why I am trying to figure out. People asked about Robin's role in the locker room, they got an anecdote from his playing days. What is the big problem here?

I listed a bunch of things a manager would be expected to do. Then I read that he got in Frank's face once. Now I'm supposed to believe that he has expertise in those areas I listed? That's a stretch.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)

The biggest thing was the Sox winning the World Series his second year and inflated his head/ego to gigantic proportions and put him (as I'm sure he felt and many others) on this untouchable pedestal. Grateful for the World Series trophy...but in terms of Ozzie...it was probably the worse thing that could have happened in terms of reigning in his huge ego and keeping his self worth in check. He felt he was bigger than the team...IMO.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
During those 2000 games was he ever asked to discipline a trouble maker? Was he asked to yank a player for dogging it? Has he ever pulled a pitcher that wanted to stay in the game? Has he ever dealt with an under-performing starter with an up and coming bench player in their shadow?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
I listed a bunch of things a manager would be expected to do. Then I read that he got in Frank's face once. Now I'm supposed to believe that he has expertise in those areas I listed? That's a stretch.

You got your question answered. Has he ever dealt with some of those situations? Yes. And there is a story out there being told by two different people. If you want to ask how many different times, then ask a different question. Its not a stretch, it is the answer to what you asked.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
:lolhitting

I give up.

You should. Your only argument is that the guy hasnt managed and so he hasnt done manager type things as a manager. You know what, there are plenty of better options out there then with your criteria, I bet Jerry Manuel would like a job again. Was Bob Brenly a better option? I am sick and tired of failed manager retreads, this hire was outside the box yet people actually in the baseball industry are saying it was a good hire. I bet fans on a message board have alot more exposure to Robin's history and demeanor than those people.