White Sox Bench Coach Search Thread

klaus kinski

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
So just to summarize at this point:

Manager: Ventura

Bench: Parent

Pitting: Coop

Hitting: Manto/Laker (Manto favored)

1st: Baines

3rd: McEwing

Correct ya? We're pretty much done after the hitting coach is decided?

Seems like it pal.

They never said that Parent was the bench coach for sure. Just that he was getting a coaching job. I bet that they're double-checking to make sure that Harold doesn't want the bench coach job again - since he's already had the job with Ozzie in the past.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
They never said that Parent was the bench coach for sure. Just that he was getting a coaching job. I bet that they're double-checking to make sure that Harold doesn't want the bench coach job again - since he's already had the job with Ozzie in the past.

Well they have a story up on the official website, albeit saying NOT CONFIRMED, but for me is as good as done deal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
The hitting coaches are great ideas IMO. Laker has done great work with the young hitters that are now on the MLB roster.

Crazy as he was a mediocre, light hitting back up catcher as a player.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
The Chicago White Sox received permission from Philadelphia to talk to Double-A Reading manager Mark Parent about their vacant bench coach position, a Phillies source confirmed Monday morning.

Parent, 50, managed Reading to a 74-68 record in 2011. He and new Sox manager Robin Ventura were represented by John Boggs during their playing days.

"That's the connection," the source said. "Mark will be good."

He gets a chance to be the bench coach because they had the same agent when they played! :whip

The only thing that could've somewhat saved the hiring of Ventura in my book would have been if they hired a veteran bench coach that's been around forever. Instead, they hired a guy who managed minor league ball for 2 years and before that was managing in the Golden Baseball League (whatever the f*** that is). The White Sox are really wowing the baseball world.

Edited by Milkman delivers

I hope the question is asked today, why Mark Parent and not a former major league manager or former experienced major league bench coach?

I mean, yeah, all of these moves may work out in a few years. But on the surface, these coaching staff moves are weird made by a GM that should have been out at season's end.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
I think the potential hitting coaches are deserving. I disagree with you there.

If Robin is making the coaching choices, I guess I will have to give him the benefit of the doubt. If JR and KW are picking the staff for Robin, I am not ok with it and it reaks of cheapness.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
I doubt there's any correlation between great hitting coaches and how successful they were as players.

At this point, it becomes how well you can analyze a hitter's individual strengths and weaknesses, and give him individual mechanics necessary to put him in the best possible position to succeed. There aren't a whole lot more significant things to be discovered in terms of hitting mechanics, but rather, little trends that help out which are adjustments to what pitchers are currently doing. It's an issue of how well you analyze and teach and work individually with each hitter to bring out the best possible manifestation of their talent.

It may actually be worse for someone who was an outstanding hitter to be a coach, because sometimes when you are supremely talented you simply don't have to do a whole lot other than get out of your own way in order to succeed. When such a person becomes a coach of others, it is often difficult for them to understand why this isn't the case for them as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
It may actually be worse for someone who was an outstanding hitter to be a coach, because sometimes when you are supremely talented you simply don't have to do a whole lot other than get out of your own way in order to succeed. When such a person becomes a coach of others, it is often difficult for them to understand why this isn't the case for them as well.

This is why Frank may not be the best choice for a hitting coach

QUOTE (toasty @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 03:50 AM)
This is why Frank may not be the best choice for a hitting coach

That should be obvious. Frank by all accounts was an abrasive and selfish teammate for most of his tenure, at worst. At best, he certainly just seemed to have difficulty communicating effectively with people, or at least relating. Neither are good qualities for a coach. As a consultant? Fine, but not full time hitting coach.