The morning after poll

southsider2k5

Was Ventura a good hire?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Was Ventura a good hire?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
You guys can keep trying to misconstrue the argument all you want, be so far no one has shown me a correlation of experience = results or no experience= no results.

You bring up Joe Girardi, at what time does a guy get enough experience? What is your magic number, 1 year, 5 years, 20 years?

The argument is that experience alone does not make a manager (neither good nor bad).

I personally think the hire was an out of the box move, it remains to be seen whether it pays off or not, but I feel hes a huge upgrade to Ozzie, and I prefer him to Martinez/Alomar as well.

I think you guys are the ones misconstruing things. Nobody (at least nobody that's any good) in modern baseball gets hired with no experience whatsoever. There's likely a reason for that. And since the Sox made this move, all of that standard practice is unnecessary garbage and we need to prove why it isn't :lol:

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
Yeah, whatever the magic number, Robin didn't meet it.

Perfect.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is experience?

Hitting coach and 3b coach count, but spring league instructor/ special assistant do not?

I guess Id just like some consistent definition of "experience" because neither Alomar nor Martinez has ever been a MLB manager (Im not even sure if theyve been minor league managers)

This is good for a number of reasons:

Professionalism had to be restored to the clubhouse and manager position. Practically everyone associated with the team was sick and tired of Ozzie, his antics and his family. The players stopped listening to him about 2 years ago.

Robin Ventura immediately changes that. As a long time Sox player, very successful ballplayer with experience on both NY franchises as well as LA Dodgers and last year's involvement with Sox minor leagues he's a perfect fit.

He also has the right personality. People in the game know that his temperament is right for the job. Also, he loves the Sox and will continue to bring in former Sox. He knows how to win and brings playoff experience. Far better player than Ozzie with even more experience and more respect in the game. Finished 6th in MVP voting in 1999 and played as recently as 2004 will connect well with players.

He clearly needs to grow into the position but there is something to be said for the young players feeling that they and the team are all growing together. Isn't this what us fans have been wanting? Some Sox pride and a Sox system? Ozzie was a part of this but Ozzie is in it too much for Ozzie. Ventura is not like that.

I am quite pleased that I am not being insulted by the organization this year with the typical " we are going for it all this year even though we are a very flawed team" type of slogan. I only hope that this is a true rebuilding process throughout the organization and not just a quick speed bump before KW is back to acquiring expensive veterans that have peaked at the expense of young talent while he tries to half-ass a contender every year.

Good luck Robin and Go Sox! Also, I know it hasn't been announced yet but I am pretty sure that Frank Thomas will be the new hitting coach. Okay, so he's my all-time favorite player and that excites me. Maybe, Adam Dunn would actually be willing to learn something from Frank.

If anything, the hire just means we aren't winning or spending big anytime soon. If we're going into rebuilding mode, it's not a horrible hire. But still, there were better candidates out there who I can make a better judgement about right now.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
This is good for a number of reasons:

Professionalism had to be restored to the clubhouse and manager position. Practically everyone associated with the team was sick and tired of Ozzie, his antics and his family. The players stopped listening to him about 2 years ago.

Robin Ventura immediately changes that. As a long time Sox player, very successful ballplayer with experience on both NY franchises as well as LA Dodgers and last year's involvement with Sox minor leagues he's a perfect fit.

He also has the right personality. People in the game know that his temperament is right for the job. Also, he loves the Sox and will continue to bring in former Sox. He knows how to win and brings playoff experience. Far better player than Ozzie with even more experience and more respect in the game. Finished 6th in MVP voting in 1999 and played as recently as 2004 will connect well with players.

He clearly needs to grow into the position but there is something to be said for the young players feeling that they and the team are all growing together. Isn't this what us fans have been wanting? Some Sox pride and a Sox system? Ozzie was a part of this but Ozzie is in it too much for Ozzie. Ventura is not like that.

I am quite pleased that I am not being insulted by the organization this year with the typical " we are going for it all this year even though we are a very flawed team" type of slogan. I only hope that this is a true rebuilding process throughout the organization and not just a quick speed bump before KW is back to acquiring expensive veterans that have peaked at the expense of young talent while he tries to half-ass a contender every year.

Good luck Robin and Go Sox! Also, I know it hasn't been announced yet but I am pretty sure that Frank Thomas will be the new hitting coach. Okay, so he's my all-time favorite player and that excites me. Maybe, Adam Dunn would actually be willing to learn something from Frank.

Why is the bolded a good thing? We've won one WS in almost a 100 years. Perhaps bringing in people from successful organizations is a better path to take.

I haven't looked at Robin's career numbers in a long time. I was blown away. In his 16 seasons he had a positive WAR defensively AND offensively every year!

There are only 12 players in baseball history with higher career defensive WAR! I would say that coupled with his personality gives him as good a chance as anyone to be a successful manager.

The guy has played on a lot of winnning major league teams. That means he knows what they look like and what they act like.

I think it's a ridiculous hire (I truly do love Robin Ventura though).

It just signals bad things for the future.

You got Francona out there and you pick Robin Ventura?

I really hope Robin proves me wrong.

He doesn't fit the mold of a manager IMO, soft spoken, classy, humble, even boring.

But Kirk Gibson doesn't fit the mold either IMO. A big slugging mountain of a man.

So the Sox are thinking outside the box. Maybe that's good.

But in the traditional baseball sense it's a terrible hire.

I voted no.

First thing, I loved me some Robin Ventura as a Sox player, one of a very few bright spots of the dark 90's era of the White Sox.

That being out of the way, I feel he'll be unprepared for the rebuilding we are gonna be having in the south side (I agree with those who say KW isn't the GM we need to draft young talent but oh well), I wanted Dave Martinez for this reason, being there with Joe Maddon overseeing the developing of young talent the Rays have done since Maddon's tenure began.

I think Ventura can develope into a decent manager, everwhere I've read has it that Ventura has a sharp baseball mind but he's gonna learn in the big stage and that's an awfully hard place to learn how to manage, I wish he would've been coaching somewhere in our farm system before taking on this job.

I really hope I'm wrong but we are in for some tough times...and it will suck if Martinez is successful wherever he goes because he will be manager of a MLB club very soon.