What can the Sox realistically expect in a trade for Danks

macsandz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wallyburger @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
I would rather see Peavy gone than Danks. Younger arm with stuff. Wonder if there are any thoughts for Matt Thornton being converted to starting? With Beurhle and Peavy gone (possibility) there would be room for 2 starters. Sale and ??????

No one will take Peavy unless we pay almost the entirety of his contract. Not happening.

QUOTE (wallyburger @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
I would rather see Peavy gone than Danks. Younger arm with stuff. Wonder if there are any thoughts for Matt Thornton being converted to starting? With Beurhle and Peavy gone (possibility) there would be room for 2 starters. Sale and ??????

Stop right there. NO ONE is going to take on Jake Peavy for essentially $21million in 2012. Just forget about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Stop right there. NO ONE is going to take on Jake Peavy for essentially $21million in 2012. Just forget about it.

Arrrggghhh! Thanks Kenny. Maybe the Yankees are crazy enough. They have no one on that staff ( healthy ) after Nova And the fat man.

Rockies are potential trading partner for Danks. They need a starter just like Danks and are under pressure to win. They made a busload of money in 2011 and can afford it. They offered to take on Wandy Rodriguez from Houston at $12 Million salary, but the Astros pulled him off waiver list. Danks is even better than anyone named Wandy. Rockettes have several really good prospects plus a pretty good outfielder in Seth Smith who would be available.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)

This is why I think KW will be gone after this season, if we end up trading young players who have shown their ability to be winners and we keep others simply because we owe them lots of money. Obviously it is way early, but if that is the way decisions are made this off season I am worried about where this team finishes in '12 and '13 for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)

I believe he's making 17 million. He's making 22 million in 2013. (though has a 4 million buyout, which will surely be used regardless of team)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
I believe he's making 17 million. He's making 22 million in 2013. (though has a 4 million buyout, which will surely be used regardless of team, unless he's pitching like 04-08 Jake)

Yeah, $17 million for 2012 season, plus the $4 million buyout to follow=$21 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Yeah, $17 million for 2012 season, plus the $4 million buyout to follow=$21 million.

Ah, gotcha. The "in 2012" kinda threw me off there, but I guess the off-season is in 2012 as well. <_>

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
Rockies are potential trading partner for Danks. They need a starter just like Danks and are under pressure to win. They made a busload of money in 2011 and can afford it. They offered to take on Wandy Rodriguez from Houston at $12 Million salary, but the Astros pulled him off waiver list. Danks is even better than anyone named Wandy. Rockettes have several really good prospects plus a pretty good outfielder in Seth Smith who would be available.

They just traded a much cheaper and better pitcher in Jimenez

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
After 8 years of posting on these boards, the only thing that is certain is that nobody knows a players trade value.

Yep. While it's fun to throw around prospect names, it's why I try and stay out of these type of threads.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
After 8 years of posting on these boards, the only thing that is certain is that nobody knows a players trade value.

I don't think anything more accurate has ever been posted. Ever. Speaking of this, I think the most critical role for a GM is to make get fair value back when you are FORCED to trade some of your guys as it appears we are with Danks and Quentin.

We've seen KW fail miserably at this with the Swisher trade (it was obvious we needed to let him go, but we didn't get anything back of value, which is a joke) and with Javy it appears we got the better of that deal in hindsight if Kittlebridge can keep hitting HR's and be a super utility guy for us and Flowers can continue to develop. Of course it's taken a while for that trade to get into place for us, but better late than never.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
I don't think anything more accurate has ever been posted. Ever. Speaking of this, I think the most critical role for a GM is to make get fair value back when you are FORCED to trade some of your guys as it appears we are with Danks and Quentin.

We've seen KW fail miserably at this with the Swisher trade (it was obvious we needed to let him go, but we didn't get anything back of value, which is a joke) and with Javy it appears we got the better of that deal in hindsight if Kittlebridge can keep hitting HR's and be a super utility guy for us and Flowers can continue to develop. Of course it's taken a while for that trade to get into place for us, but better late than never.

People need to keep in mind that being on the prospect receiving side of those types of trades will regularly mean waiting years to see if the trade works out, if at all.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
This is why I think KW will be gone after this season, if we end up trading young players who have shown their ability to be winners and we keep others simply because we owe them lots of money. Obviously it is way early, but if that is the way decisions are made this off season I am worried about where this team finishes in '12 and '13 for sure.

If Kenny were going as punishment for those deals it would have happened already. Like it or not; we are overly deep with near fa's at several positions and the veterans must be moved. The next level of job security for Kenny is what he gets in those deals (and how the players perform under Ventura.)

I can't say that I know exactly what the Sox could get for Danks but I'm pretty darn sure that there would be about half the teams interested and I would think they could extract a pretty nice haul from a team like the Yankees or another contender deperate for starting pitching.

They all know that Danks has gotten very little run support the past few years and that affects a pitcher. It's very conceivable that Danks could win 20 with the Yankees in 2012. I would think that the Sox could get 2 real nice prospects for him at the least.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
If Kenny were going as punishment for those deals it would have happened already. Like it or not; we are overly deep with near fa's at several positions and the veterans must be moved. The next level of job security for Kenny is what he gets in those deals (and how the players perform under Ventura.)

Yep, the Ventura hiring means that Jerry has given Kenny a chance to rebuild. If he makes a bone-headed waiver claim or a Jim Hendry "rebuilding" signing, then he's gone, but I think he ends up sticking around until the next real contender.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)

I think if we offered to cover around $10M of that, either in 2012 salary or some combination of buyout and 2012 salary, we might be able to move him as a pure salary dump.

Problem is, if Peavy is healthy and playing for a 2012 contract - a big IF of course - we might end up with either a player that could help us contend or a player we could flip for something better at the deadline. Something else to consider too is the insurance factor, and really, how much is Peavy costing them in reality, apart from what the official numbers say?

I'd love it if the Sox could work out a deal where they threw in $4M towards either the buyout or the option if exercised, plus another $6M in 2012, in exchange for basically nothing, and then give the savings to Mark. I'm not sure that's doable as Mark may get some pretty good offers, but if you can use the money for something you pretty much *know* is going to be better and more reliable, I'd say do it. I would not however try to eat a bunch of cash on Peavy and salary dump him just to take on another long-term (i.e. 4 or more years) salary commitment or another reclamation project through FA.

How about Danks, AJ & Thornton for Logan Morrison & Chris Volstad?

Danks would dominate the NL and be FLA's only LHP in the rotation and would compliment Josh Johnson very well.

AJ reunites with Ozzie and gives FLA a quality catcher and lefty bat. Thornton would do well in the NL.

LoMo has worn out his welcome with the Marlins. The kid is a stud and would add a nice controlled centerpiece to play LF for years. Volstad is a classic Sox reclamation project. A 1st round pick that never panned out. He's still young and has potential. I believe FLA has probably run out of patience.

The Marlins are in aggressive mode with new leadership and a new stadium. The Sox are rebuilding. This deal would make sense for both teams.