2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
That's a fantastic deal for the Twins.

They are also getting 3 much needed draft picks by letting Cuddyer and Kubel walk. The Twins are in a bad place. Bad major league club, and a bad farm system on top of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
They could be right back on top next year if their 2 MVP's play like MVP's.

I have serious doubts that either will be the same player they once were ever again.

Concussions are nothing to mess with and can end careers. One fastball that gets away from a pitcher high and tight. A takeout slide on a double play. A collision at home. Anyone of those things could end Morneau's career and you know he's thinking about it. Mauer, even when healthy after the move to Target Field lost all his power and now he's breaking down health wise behind the plate. You either have to move him to first, and move Morneau to DH or vice versa

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
They seemed to be OK with Thome.

Hard to really compare those two. Willingham is going to be an everyday starter, not a sometime DH. Plus, Thome is one of the greatest power hitters of his generation, even into the twilight of his career. Willingham is a good power hitter, but he seemingly wont have the luxury that Thome had with Kubel and Cuddyer in the lineup picking him up when he slumps. Willingham whiffed 150 times last year, thats a lot of wasted opportunities, and the Twins org doesnt really like to waste any opportunities.

I could be wrong, he could have a Hardy revival

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Does it seem to anyone else that pitchers are getting hurt with more regularity in the last few years?

Yes. My theory is that most are getting to the majors too quickly and either should have 1) developed more stamina and strength in the minors or 2) been injured in the minors and never made it to the majors.

In the 50's, 60's and 70's there are always stories of guys who could throw in the upper 90's but never made it to the majors because they were injured in the minors. They didn't have the stamina to repeat their delivery for a season but would wash out. In today's game, these pitcher's are pushed ahead and break down in the majors when they shoudln't even has made it that far.

We have this discussion among AT's all the time. Some say not enough throwing, some too much "pressure" throwing. There are many theories but one thing is for sure, today's pitcher's aren't as durable as they should be.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Yes. My theory is that most are getting to the majors too quickly and either should have 1) developed more stamina and strength in the minors or 2) been injured in the minors and never made it to the majors.

In the 50's, 60's and 70's there are always stories of guys who could throw in the upper 90's but never made it to the majors because they were injured in the minors. They didn't have the stamina to repeat their delivery for a season but would wash out. In today's game, these pitcher's are pushed ahead and break down in the majors when they shoudln't even has made it that far.

We have this discussion among AT's all the time. Some say not enough throwing, some too much "pressure" throwing. There are many theories but one thing is for sure, today's pitcher's aren't as durable as they should be.

Interesting stuff, thanks.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
Hard to really compare those two. Willingham is going to be an everyday starter, not a sometime DH. Plus, Thome is one of the greatest power hitters of his generation, even into the twilight of his career. Willingham is a good power hitter, but he seemingly wont have the luxury that Thome had with Kubel and Cuddyer in the lineup picking him up when he slumps. Willingham whiffed 150 times last year, thats a lot of wasted opportunities, and the Twins org doesnt really like to waste any opportunities.

I could be wrong, he could have a Hardy revival

Trading away Hardy for a so-so middle reliever, not replacing him at all (the Japanese MI failed miserably) and then having to admit the wrongness of the Delmon Young deal...those deals, along with totally gutting the bullpen with the exception of inexplicably bringing back Capps (to justify the trade)....goodbye, Mr. Smith.

Michael Cuddyer leaving the AL was the best present this Sox fan can receive. Now when the Twins have bases loaded down by two outs in the ninth I don't have to watch him kill us again and again.

Edited by juddling

QUOTE (juddling @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:38 AM)
Michael Cuddyer leaving the AL was the best present this Sox fan can receive. Now when the Twins have bases loaded down by two stop in the ninth I don't have to watch him kill us again and again.

They'll find someone else. They always do.