2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Yes. My theory is that most are getting to the majors too quickly and either should have 1) developed more stamina and strength in the minors or 2) been injured in the minors and never made it to the majors.

In the 50's, 60's and 70's there are always stories of guys who could throw in the upper 90's but never made it to the majors because they were injured in the minors. They didn't have the stamina to repeat their delivery for a season but would wash out. In today's game, these pitcher's are pushed ahead and break down in the majors when they shoudln't even has made it that far.

We have this discussion among AT's all the time. Some say not enough throwing, some too much "pressure" throwing. There are many theories but one thing is for sure, today's pitcher's aren't as durable as they should be.

Just to clarify, by "pressure" throwing, are you talking about high leverage situations? Like late in a game, up by 1, 2 runners on base? Or what exactly?

I've heard that idea discussed before and have some understanding of what or why it would have an impact. Hawk and Blyleven (watch both quite a bit and respect both of their knowledge of the game) and neither one of them really like the pitch count. Instead, they prefer to look at the stress level at which the pitcher pitched. For starting pitchers, this makes sense. You can have 2 guys throw 110 pitches in 7 innings, but one could do it by throwing anywhere between 14-20 pitches per inning, and one could do it throwing fewer than 13 pitches in 6 innings and throwing 40 in one big inning. The sheer volume of pitches in that 1 inning is 300% greater than that of what he's done in any other inning, similar to a person who normally runs a 5K every day suddenly jumping to a 15K and then back to a 5K the next day. It's not going to be good for the body and there is an increased chance for injury.

Am I barking up the right tree with that? If so, are you simply talking about the first situation I described or more similar to the second one, just as a reliever?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 04:17 AM)
Just to clarify, by "pressure" throwing, are you talking about high leverage situations? Like late in a game, up by 1, 2 runners on base? Or what exactly?

I've heard that idea discussed before and have some understanding of what or why it would have an impact. Hawk and Blyleven (watch both quite a bit and respect both of their knowledge of the game) and neither one of them really like the pitch count. Instead, they prefer to look at the stress level at which the pitcher pitched. For starting pitchers, this makes sense. You can have 2 guys throw 110 pitches in 7 innings, but one could do it by throwing anywhere between 14-20 pitches per inning, and one could do it throwing fewer than 13 pitches in 6 innings and throwing 40 in one big inning. The sheer volume of pitches in that 1 inning is 300% greater than that of what he's done in any other inning, similar to a person who normally runs a 5K every day suddenly jumping to a 15K and then back to a 5K the next day. It's not going to be good for the body and there is an increased chance for injury.

Am I barking up the right tree with that? If so, are you simply talking about the first situation I described or more similar to the second one, just as a reliever?

Yes, that is what I mean. There is added physiologic work on the body when you are under mental stress. The parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems control phsiological responses ie. herat rate, adrenal glands. When these are activated, under stress, the body wroks harder for the same activity.The running is a good example but you are using it slightly wrong. There is more work when you run a 5k against perceived mental stress ie. competition versus running out in front alone. Some running are under stress in the first situation, some in the second. It's still the same distance but mentally you feel stressed and your body is wroking harder for the same activity.

This is where people may peform their best, if the stay in control, but it is also where the body is working harder. This concept applies to relievers as well. It's about the pressure and how hard you preceiving yourself to work as well as the actual physical work.

another physical only scenario for this concept is more the way you were looking at it. Using the running example again. If you are used to running a 5K at 9:00 min/mile pace and all of a sudden in the 2nd mile you decide to take off and run a 5:00 minute mile. If you during this period of time you could cause damage to the tissue in your body. In this scenarion it's not the amount of work but the intensity that will cause injury.

Either way you can cause tissue damage in the same overall amount of work.

• 4 weeks later...

It was uncomfortable listening to Twins telecasts last season as Dick Bremer and, to a lesser extent, Bert Blyleven spent most of the three hours nightly trying to explain away the 99 losses as something other than a disaster wrought upon the public by the front office.

Apparently, they did have permission slips to denigrate Kevin Slowey. Injuries and Slowey's attitude -- those were about the only factors that could be identified by the long-serving duo for this fine baseball organization to have fielded the worst team in the American League.

And we can't forget that a Bremer-Blyleven telecast is always rich with the fable that there's a Twins Way of playing baseball: exceptional fielding, being smart and aggressive on the bases, and throwing strikes.

No matter that you have to go back to 2006 to find a Twins team that stuck to those principles ... Dickie B. remains shocked over boots in the field, screwups on the bases and 3-1 cookies from Nick Blackburn.

Try as they might, Bremer and Blyleven have been second-rate homers when compared to Mike Greenlay (analyst) and Dan Terhaar (play-by-play) on Wild telecasts.

I'm not sure which number is consistently higher: Tiger Woods' estimate of his putts that "lipped out" after a poor round of golf, or the total number of penalties per game that Greenlay sees as being missed against an opponent and/or unfairly called against the Wild.

startribune.com/sports REUSSE

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 01:46 AM)
It was uncomfortable listening to Twins telecasts last season as Dick Bremer and, to a lesser extent, Bert Blyleven spent most of the three hours nightly trying to explain away the 99 losses as something other than a disaster wrought upon the public by the front office.

Apparently, they did have permission slips to denigrate Kevin Slowey. Injuries and Slowey's attitude -- those were about the only factors that could be identified by the long-serving duo for this fine baseball organization to have fielded the worst team in the American League.

And we can't forget that a Bremer-Blyleven telecast is always rich with the fable that there's a Twins Way of playing baseball: exceptional fielding, being smart and aggressive on the bases, and throwing strikes.

No matter that you have to go back to 2006 to find a Twins team that stuck to those principles ... Dickie B. remains shocked over boots in the field, screwups on the bases and 3-1 cookies from Nick Blackburn.

Try as they might, Bremer and Blyleven have been second-rate homers when compared to Mike Greenlay (analyst) and Dan Terhaar (play-by-play) on Wild telecasts.

I'm not sure which number is consistently higher: Tiger Woods' estimate of his putts that "lipped out" after a poor round of golf, or the total number of penalties per game that Greenlay sees as being missed against an opponent and/or unfairly called against the Wild.

startribune.com/sports REUSSE

That's funny, because I specifically remember posting something about the comments Dick and Bert were making about Slowey...they rip him incessantly.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
Doubtful.

You know who the Sox really need to sign? Pedro Lopez. I have no doubt that the 2 hits (in 8 PAs) and the 18 innings he played in 2 games had a significant effect that team winning a World Series. Can you imagine this team with Pedro Lopez on it? My GOD.

(no DPBLers, not that Pedro Lopez, he's not only fake, he's also a douche)