2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
The Royals can hit the baseball.

It's going to be tough for the Sox to beat them this year ... again.

That is all.

It was tough for the Angels, too. More was expected out of that team than the White Sox coming into 2011.

If Moustakas and Lorenzo Cain play up to their abilities, they're clearly going to take 2nd place and finish with 83-86 victories.

The bullpen's a mess though, with lots of questions surrounding Soria (out for year), Crow and Broxton.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bullpen will be fine. Losing Soria blows, of course, but we have 3-4 guys who could take his place. It's Broxton's job to lose, but if he sucks or gets hurt, then Greg Holland should get a shot. If he fails, then there's Crow. And then Louis Coleman. I wouldn't be against Tim Collins getting a shot either but hopefully it won't go that far.

I think there is a really good chance Soria we won't see Soria in a Royals' uniform. They have an $8 million option on him for next year, and this is his second Tommy John surgery.

The rotation will be the real issue.

Bruce Chen

Luke Hochevar

Jonathan Sanchez

Danny Duffy

Luis Mendoza

Felipe Paulino

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 02:49 AM)
I think the bullpen will be fine. Losing Soria blows, of course, but we have 3-4 guys who could take his place. It's Broxton's job to lose, but if he sucks or gets hurt, then Greg Holland should get a shot. If he fails, then there's Crow. And then Louis Coleman. I wouldn't be against Tim Collins getting a shot either but hopefully it won't go that far.

I think there is a really good chance Soria we won't see Soria in a Royals' uniform. They have an $8 million option on him for next year, and this is his second Tommy John surgery.

Bruce Chen

Luke Hochevar

Jonathan Sanchez

Danny Duffy

Luis Mendoza

Felipe Paulino

Crow doesn't seem reliable to me whenever I watch but Holland is a nice arm. The rest I think is your Royals optimism goggles on....

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 02:49 AM)

Bruce Chen

Luke Hochevar

Jonathan Sanchez

Danny Duffy

Luis Mendoza

Felipe Paulino

When did Mendoza take the 5th spot from Paulino?

Hochevar pitched well against a very good Angels team, same with Sanchez.

Duffy has a ton of talent, but it's going to be growing pains for him over the next year and one-half probably.

And you wonder how long the Bruce Chen Magic Show can continue? Then again, guys like Jamie Moyer got away with it for the entire time they were in their 30's and even early 40's.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
With the way the Indians have been drawing, it's a wonder they can afford any of these guaranteed long-term deals.

But they really have no choice if they want to operate their organization in a financially viably and competitive way in the future.

TV Dollars and revenue sharing is rapidly pushing every team towards $100 million in revenues as a starting point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
With the way the Indians have been drawing, it's a wonder they can afford any of these guaranteed long-term deals.

But they really have no choice if they want to operate their organization in a financially viably and competitive way in the future.

It's hard to believe that their attendance in the 90's was best in the majors in terms of sellouts.....

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
It's hard to believe that their attendance in the 90's was best in the majors in terms of sellouts.....

Here's a crazy thought...Imagine if Sizemore and Hafner hadn't started getting hurt after their 2007 run...so they stay in contention in 2008 and wind up having both Sabathia and Lee able to drive that rotation. They had the makings of a solid team if it weren't for some of those injuries. They could have had a shot at rebuilding that attendance. The market is there, it's just not going to tun out on a 45 degree day in April without a good reaosn.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
Tigers on verge of winning again. If Austin Jackson has significantly improved from last year, that's just not fair.

Austin Jackson currently has a BABIP of .727. Let's wait just a little, shall we?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
lol. BABIP on April 10? Really? I know what fathom meant. But go ahead, balta. Have fun.

It was a valid point. Everything is dropping for the kid a whopping 4+ games in, but he'll wind up being Austin Jackson.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
It was a valid point. Everything is dropping for the kid a whopping 4+ games in, but he'll wind up being Austin Jackson.

or that he has two multi-walk games already this year (only had 8 all of last year)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)

All fathom said was IF he's significantly improved. I know fathom watches a ton of non-Sox baseball. Maybe he's seen something different in Austin that wasn't there his first two years? Not that he's an expert. Nobody here is. We've got Alex Rios for CPOTY threads popping up after one HR and nobody saying s***.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
All fathom said was IF he's significantly improved. I know fathom watches a ton of non-Sox baseball. Maybe he's seen something different in Austin that wasn't there his first two years? Not that he's an expert. Nobody here is. We've got Alex Rios for CPOTY threads popping up after one HR and nobody saying s***.

Thanks J4L...I never said Jackson is significantly improved. Just saying that if he HAS improved (which is very possibly), then that lineup went from dangerous to potentially great.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
Thanks J4L...I never said Jackson is significantly improved. Just saying that if he HAS improved (which is very possibly), then that lineup went from dangerous to potentially great.

And that rotation and bullpen are still very suspect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)

I never said you were wrong, to be fair. I was just pointing out that BABIP is always important.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)

I picked him up in my fantasy league prior to the season because he certainly has the potential to have a huge year based on the strength of that lineup. I've watched a few of their games, and he has had some solid at bats, but it's too early to see whether he will consistently look at pitches or let his old habits get the best of him.

One thing to be mindful of though, is he will see more good pitches as a result of being in that lineup, and sometimes that is enough to allow a guy to turn things around in a big way.

Alex Gordon starting the season 0 for 16, must be the pressure of that new contract.

He belongs on the White Sox, with how fragile he seems mentally. Obviously, it's early and he can still turn things around quite quickly, but not a good sign for Royals fans.

Danny Duffy with a great opening start, although it's hard to extrapolate when you face the A's in a huge ballpark in April and what he'll do against the rest of the league.

As far as Austin Jackson goes, I pulled up his minor league numbers and he's always been in the 700's, except for one big anomaly/outlier (964) in Tampa in about half a season of High A ball.

He put up 691 last year and 745 in his rookie season, so you'd have to guess with that line-up behind him and much less pressure to produce, he'll be in that 750-775 range. He's never going to be a power type hitter in that stadium or replicate Curtis Granderson, but very few in the majors do.

Combined with the fact that he's one of the 3 best CFers in the AL defensively and perfectly suited for that outfield, it's saying something that he's a complimentary player on that team.

Edited by caulfield12