2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
Twins had a miracle comeback against the Angels again.

All is not happiness in LaLa Land for now. That Pujols deal will be a noose around Moreno's neck, although they have the attendance and broadcast deals and the Dodgers' sale to inflate the value of that franchise into the stratosphere.

Projecting Pujols to fail because of a slow first few games is not a bet I'd make.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Projecting Pujols to fail because of a slow first few games is not a bet I'd make.

He'll be fine, like he always is...he started off slowly last year, too.

And, if the Angels win another World Series trophy (and his first as owner), I'm sure Moreno will say it was all worth it.

It's just 4-5-6 years out that are going to be a problem.

When they had Shields and K-Rod, it was almost impossible to beat that bullpen. Now they're a lot more vulnerable than they were in the past. The same thing happened with the Twins....once the aura of invincibility at the end of games was wiped away, the emperor was wearing much less clothing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
If they win 2 WS in the first 5 years, they won't care. Their payroll will grow with time, he can dh, and it's not like they didn't have bad contracts when they signed Pujols anyway.

Yeah, Wells and Hunter, to name a few.

If Morales can stay healthy enough to play 1B or SOME position on the field, that will help.

The jury's still out on Trumbo at 3B. Everyone knows he can hit, but where to play him if he's not at 1B?

With how good the Rangers, Rays and Tigers look set up for the next 3 years or so, I'd be really surprised if they managed 2 WS titles, let alone one.

Bob Nightengale ‏ @BNightengale

The physicals and medical reports were exchanged 2 days ago. Johnny Damon is an #Indians player #mlb

Buster Olney ‏ @Buster_ESPN

Johnny Damon will get $1.25 million in base salary, $1.4 million in performance bonuses, from the Indians.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏ @BNightengale

The physicals and medical reports were exchanged 2 days ago. Johnny Damon is an #Indians player #mlb

Buster Olney ‏ @Buster_ESPN

Johnny Damon will get $1.25 million in base salary, $1.4 million in performance bonuses, from the Indians.

He's working his way around the A.L.

Royals

Athletics

Red Sox

Yankees

Tigers

Rays

Indians

The Royals pitching just got absolutely abused by the Tribe over the weekend.

KC fans starting to grumble a bit about Yost.

He was smart to stand up for his players in the bench clearing stuff Sat night cause if KC keeps this up, Yost or GM are in trouble.

After losing to Verlander Monday night KC will be 0-4 at home.

Royals have embarrassing commercials this year like the Sox "All In" which backfired last year.

"It's Our Time" is the motto and KC's pitching coupled with some injury problems make it seem like the Royals may suck again this year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)

He was smart to stand up for his players in the bench clearing stuff Sat night cause if KC keeps this up, Yost or GM are in trouble.

Royals have embarrassing commercials this year like the Sox "All In" which backfired last year.

"It's Our Time" is the motto and KC's pitching coupled with some injury problems make it seem like the Royals may suck again this year.

The Royals weren't going to be good this year. Their opening day starter was Bruce Chen...I think that says a lot about how bad their pitching is.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)

And Hochevar had a ball blasted off his ankle on Friday. I notice his spot in the rotation is listed at TBA/TBD. Anything more on that injury? I'm guessing the x-rays came back negative.

Pitching has always been the problem with the Royals, although Duffy has looked promising and has 93-96 MPH heat from the left side, the Royals' version of Chris Sale.

Whenever you're counting on Bruce Chen as one of your top 3 starters going into a season, you know you're in trouble (and yes, he did perform well last year, even had an ERA below 4.00 I think). But to count on or expect a repeat season?

Look on the bright side. Nobody is this bad. So just how bad are we talking? Pitching meltdowns in four consecutive games. Big innings in the last three games. Allowing the opposition to bat around four times since they played the national anthem on Friday. I said that the first trip through the pitching rotation could not have gone much better for the Royals. The second trip could not have gone much worse.

Let’s break the big inning down: there were two errors in the bottom half of the third inning — first baseman Eric Hosmer’s dropped pop-up and first-base umpire Lance Barrett’s missed call. Chris Getz had just made a spectacular play to get Michael Brantley for the third out when Barrett called Brantley safe. Royals starter Luis Mendoza let his frustration show, and, whether the call hurt Mendoza’s concentration or not, the inning ended six runs later. You can’t blame Barrett for all six runs. He may have opened the door for the Indians, but Mendoza let them through.

After the missed call, Mendoza gave up a single, a double, an intentional walk, a home run, a walk, a walk and a single. Over the course of the three hour, 20-minute game, the Royals’ pitchers walked seven batters and four of them scored.

Pitching like this raises an important question: How come Mitch Maier is not in the rotation?

When the Royals get down by a lot early, it takes them out of their game. They can’t steal, bunt or take the extra base. Being down by a lot means they have to play a conservative brand of baseball, which is not their style.

The bright side to the bad start at home has been the offense. They have battled back. Hold the opposition down to a reasonable number of runs and they ought to have a chance.By the way, the Royals’ “Our Time” theme is probably going to take a beating for a while. Just remember, Yost and the players didn’t come up with that slogan. They were given copy to read for the cameras, and they read it.

Read more here: http://royals.kansascity.com/games/353/#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 02:14 AM)
And Hochevar had a ball blasted off his ankle on Friday. I notice his spot in the rotation is listed at TBA/TBD. Anything more on that injury? I'm guessing the x-rays came back negative.

He may miss a start but he's OK.

Funny how the fans here hate Getz. He's the only player the fans really despise, though they will turn on Yost quickly if this year's team sucks.

Getz has such a low salary. He's a "grindy" player that wouldn't get significant playing time for 25 or so other teams in the majors.

Royals' fans really like/d Yuniesky Betancourt or Willie Bloomquist?

At least White Sox fans are smart enough to point the blame at the higher-salaried veterans, moreso than the younger players.

I wouldn't be suprised if Moustakas doesn't hit 20+ homers that they start comparing him to Mark Teahen.

The Royals have been a bit snake-bitten ever since they gave that extension to Salvador Perez and he subsequently got hurt.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
I realize that Verlander's a machine, but 131 pitches in April can't be a good idea, right? Although, his fastball was hitting triple digits throughout that 9th inning.

Verlander wouldnt be the first pitcher that Leyland destroyed. Livan Hernandez wasnt a junkballer when Leyland got a hold of him, but his arm fell off shortly thereafter

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Verlander wouldnt be the first pitcher that Leyland destroyed. Livan Hernandez wasnt a junkballer when Leyland got a hold of him, but his arm fell off shortly thereafter

Leyland already kind of ruined Verlander once.

Remember when he had velocity issues in 2008? Yeah...

Iirc he started slow in 08 and was back to his normal self after the ASB.

I do believe that he is a freak of nature in the mold of Nolan Ryan, but Leyland really should stop playing with fire. I can't imagine that Verlander throwing 100mph on an arm that just went 130 pitches is good.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Iirc he started slow in 08 and was back to his normal self after the ASB.

I do believe that he is a freak of nature in the mold of Nolan Ryan, but Leyland really should stop playing with fire. I can't imagine that Verlander throwing 100mph on an arm that just went 130 pitches is good.

As soon as someone can conclusively prove that guys get hurt more often when they're throwing 130 pitches a game than when they're throwing 100 pitches a game, I'll be happy to agree, but I sure haven't seen it.