2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
The Indians suck so hard.

Gonna end up in last place with a top 5 pick. Love that experts were talking about how they had a chance and to sell off more parts to go for it because the division is "weak." By general assumption, to win a weak division, you can't be part of the reason that it's weak in the first place. Besides, it's got this whole Chinese gini coefficient going on right now which I'm OK with since the Sox are apart of the wealthy group in that particular graph.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)
Gonna end up in last place with a top 5 pick. Love that experts were talking about how they had a chance and to sell off more parts to go for it because the division is "weak." By general assumption, to win a weak division, you can't be part of the reason that it's weak in the first place. Besides, it's got this whole Chinese gini coefficient going on right now which I'm OK with since the Sox are apart of the wealthy group in that particular graph.

Minnesota's probably in the same ballpark as far as revenues (for now), but their attendance is overwhelmed by our media/market advantages.

Long term, Chicago has the huge advantage over Detroit, without Illitch as the owner.

By the way, the Chinese gini coefficient is by most accounts over 0.5 now, although the government here refuses to announce figures because of the priority of showing that income levels are actually equalizing rather than branching apart at an exponential rate.

The last time they announced an official government number was way back in 2000. Independent studies show 0.435 but because of the "unofficial market" almost $1 trillion is hidden and off the books.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
Minnesota's probably in the same ballpark as far as revenues (for now), but their attendance is overwhelmed by our media/market advantages.

Long term, Chicago has the huge advantage over Detroit, without Illitch as the owner.

By the way, the Chinese gini coefficient is by most accounts over 0.5 now, although the government here refuses to announce figures because of the priority of showing that income levels are actually equalizing rather than branching apart at an exponential rate.

The last time they announced an official government number was way back in 2000. Independent studies show 0.435 but because of the "unofficial market" almost $1 trillion is hidden and off the books.

That Twins attendance is going to deteriorate quickly. Judging by history, they will be back at the 20k mark within five years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
That Twins attendance is going to deteriorate quickly. Judging by history, they will be back at the 20k mark within five years.

That's a possibility, but it is a gorgeous ballpark in pretty great location, and it seems that the fans have become pretty loyal over the previous 10 years. They might draw for a while, and I think they will. But with no real strong pitching coming up, and an offense that is not young by any stretch of the imagination, it might be a while before they compete again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 01:37 AM)
That's a possibility, but it is a gorgeous ballpark in pretty great location, and it seems that the fans have become pretty loyal over the previous 10 years. They might draw for a while, and I think they will. But with no real strong pitching coming up, and an offense that is not young by any stretch of the imagination, it might be a while before they compete again.

Yeah with the location and how nice the ballpark is, if I lived in Minneapolis I'd probably go to more Twins games than I do Wsox ones currently.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 01:37 AM)

The ballpark factor fades over time, especially in the small markets. If they can't put together a team pretty quickly, that place will empty out like the Metrodome did. Attendance is already down about 10% over last year, with no real hope of competing in sight. Looking at their attendance history, people just don't go to games up there like that.

Choo will be on the open market this winter

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...ffers-in-winter

Indians, with admittedly no chance to sign Choo, will again listen to trade offers in winter

By Jon Heyman | Baseball Insider

August 24, 2012 10:09 am ET

The Indians, resigned to the idea that they won't be able to sign star outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to a contract extension, will listen again to trade offers for Choo this winter.

Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said they have tried to extend Choo "multiple times'' over the past few years, to no avail. Antonetti was asked how much reception he's gotten to the possibility of a multiyear deal, and the GM answered candidly, "None.''

But Antonetti also pointed out that a trade this winter isn't the only possible outcome, as they could also trade him at the deadline next July or let him leave as a free agent after next season and receive draft choices after making a qualifying offer, which Antonetti indicated they will surely make.

The Pirates, Dodgers and Rangers are among teams connected to Choo, a free agent after the 2013 season, at this year's deadline.The Pirates were said unwilling to part with either of their top two pitching prospects, Gerrit Cole or Jameson Taillon.

Nonetheless, Choo's trade value should be fairly high based on him being a five-tool player. Choo, 30, has 15 home runs, 49 RBI and a .286 batting average this year, a comeback season of sorts after 2011, his one subpar season.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
Motown worried about Cabrera's ankle. It doesn't seem serious (perhaps a sprain) but if it hasn't gotten better for 3 weeks, it isn't going to get better playing on it every day.

They better amputate, just to be safe.

Royals have lost 4 of 6 since sweeping the Sox. Pitching has reverted back to s*** and the team is playing bad baseball again with Escobar today making a big error. Team couldn't hit the ball in the Tampa series, either.

Butler, Mr. Fastball hitter, struck out four times today, including his last at bat on a fastball.

A lousy Boston team completes the series with three wins in four tries barely breaking a sweat.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
Boston beats KC 3 of 4 after Tampa beat KC two of three. Yes, KC still sucks. Will the White Sox man up and beat them in a series next time??

We're bound to see that greg, meanwhile Sox got bigger fish to fry coming up this week!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
Boston beats KC 3 of 4 after Tampa beat KC two of three. Yes, KC still sucks. Will the White Sox man up and beat them in a series next time??

Nope. The White Sox are never ever ever gonna win another series against KC. THey will be the laughing stock of Lawrence for all eternity!

According to Phil Rogers of the Trib, every single member of the Twins opening day starting rotation is off of the 40 man roster. Pavano and Baker are on the 60 day DL, Blackburn was optioned to the minors, Liriano is a White Sox, and Marquis is a Padre.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

justin morneau was claimed on waivers several days ago, w/ no trade completed. so he's staying in minnesota. #twins

If I was the Twins GM, I would've let him go.

Royals win 9-8.

Struck out Cabrera with one out and Jackson on third.

Walked Fielder to get to Young, which scared the hell out of me...Young then proceeds to hit what looks like a homer but is ruled foul on the field. Replays prove to be inconclusive and it is called foul. Then he hits a ball deep into the gap that Gordon runs down to end the game.

All in all, it's another game off the ledger.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
Royals win 9-8.

Struck out Cabrera with one out and Jackson on third.

Walked Fielder to get to Young, which scared the hell out of me...Young then proceeds to hit what looks like a homer but is ruled foul on the field. Replays prove to be inconclusive and it is called foul. Then he hits a ball deep into the gap that Gordon runs down to end the game.

All in all, it's another game off the ledger.

Am I the only one who is sure that ball Young hit was a HR ?

The first replay they showed from the 3rd base side looked like a homerun because it disappeared behind the foul pole. The second replay they showed, which must have been from somewhere in centerfield, looked like it was foul, because the ball disappeared behind the foul pole.

All in all a very difficult decision, I wouldnt be surprised if it was inconclusive and they went with the original call.